• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice On Where To Go w/Girlfriend

thetrailboss

Staff member
thebigo said:
I have not been to burke since the sale but my lasting memory of burke is poor snow quality.

Whoa. When were you at Burke? Granted the snowmaking base depths may not be as deep in places, the grooming and snow has always been good.

With the weather we're experiencing this week you will be best suited at a resort that is aggressive with their snow making. I think the suggestion of Bretton Woods was a good one. In full disclosure I have not skied there in years, but they are known for their snowmaking and I remember high quality snow.

And high prices at $65 per person now :roll:

masshole said:
I don't want to get there next week and be faced with awful skiing conditions.

:roll: Hate to break it to ya Masshole, but if we get the r%^& and nasty weather in the forecast for this Thursday and Friday, there's not going to be really good skiing anywhere. My meterology buddy (who works for VPR) tells me no real big snowstorms in sight :x If you want really good snow, best wait regrettably. :roll: Hopefully I'm wrong.

masshole

Website
www.freelovemd.com
Well I booked our trip so I hope you are wrong too. If it does r*&^ will the conditions be really bad?

Please don't tell me yes. It says they already have 10-20 inches of packed powder down. Keep in mind I will only be on the beginner trails.

thetrailboss

Staff member
masshole said:
Well searching the internet for Burke Mountain I found these negatives listed by a reviewer:

1. While Burke get decent natural snow its snow making abilities are somewhat poor as it does not have the money to blow snow the way some other mountains might.

I don't want to get there next week and be faced with awful skiing conditions.

2. The infastructure at Burke is poor, lodges are small and dirty and lifts are for the most part old and slow.

3. It has lots of old ugly beat up condos that real estate agents had to pretty much give away and thus act as a real eyesore.

This is the review from one person :wink: Remember that most folks don't write those reviews unless they are (a) really happy with the place, or (b) really mad about the place, or (c) are paid to write such reviews :lol:

Show me one review and I show you another. This one has consistantly ranked Burke as #1 and it stands at a 4.9/5.0 :eek: Click on that review to read about what others had to say...

thebigo

Didnt mean to offend your home mountain TB.

I actually grew up skiing Burke and love the place. But as a lifelong skier it is my experience that the best skiing next week will be at the areas that truly excell in snowmaking. It is also my experience that although Burke may hold natural snow better than almost any other area in the east that they cannot produce as much manmade as some of the other areas in the east. But as I stated I am not sure if that has changed since the sale. Incidently I planned my return trip to Burke this past Monday but we all know how that tunred out.

Either way it doent matter now. Have fun Masshole, make sure your GF is warm and her boots are comfortable.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Either way it doent matter now. Have fun Masshole, make sure your GF is warm and her boots are comfortable.
good call. the best investment you can make right now is making sure she has quality ski socks, thermal underwear, and warm gloves/mittens, parka, and ski pants so she can keep warm on the slopes.

JBHeadParrot

Masshole,

I hope you and the GF have a great time, it should be lots of fun. The best thing you can do is not teach her yourself, relationships end that way! Let the professionals do it.

I hope the Inn has a hot tub, you'll both need it!

Enjoy!!!

RossiSkier

freeheelwilly said:
Man the bias on this board is often palpable. Two pages so far and nobody even mentioned Whiteface/Lake Placid.

You're right. It get's high marks on Ski Magazine's resort ratings. I would probally be a great place for a couple to hang out. How's the beginner areas?

freeheelwilly

RossiSkier said:
freeheelwilly said:
Man the bias on this board is often palpable. Two pages so far and nobody even mentioned Whiteface/Lake Placid.

You're right. It get's high marks on Ski Magazine's resort ratings. I would probally be a great place for a couple to hang out. How's the beginner areas?

It's got alot more beginner/intermediate terrain than I think people know about including a dedicated beginner area that is completely separate from the rest of the mountain so that novices don't get "buzzed" or intimidated by more experienced skiers and riders. It's also got a high speed quad from which one can access 1500' of vert of beginner terrain. It's not only steep stuff; it's alot more. And it's got a "Wow!" factor that very few if any East Coast areas can boast of - even the really good ones. Pullin' into Whiteface for the first time is awesome (provided it's not socked in) - it looks like a "mountain" in the classic sense. And then there's Lake Placid and all of the Olympic venues.

freeheelwilly

riverc0il said:
do you have ANY idea of far of a drive whiteface is from south eastern MA? i mean, SERIOUSLY?!?!!? this isn't bias, this is being realisitc!

Umm, the guy said under 5 hours. Whiteface is probably just outside that window. But considering what he and the GF will get for that extra time in the car, it's not unreasonable to at least suggest it. Plus, the last hour or so of the drive is a jaw dropper as far as scenery goes so they won't even notice. With all due respect to Burke - it ain't Whiteface/Lake Placid. He could bring her for a romantic dog sled ride on a frozen Adirondack lake or a skate around the Olympic Oval where Eric Heiden won five Gold Medals in front of the arena where the US beat the Russians and took home Gold. He could bring her for a bobsled ride ride down an Olympic track. He could take her out to eat at one of several world class restaurants. Plus alot more. Burke? I'm sure it's very nice but c'mon, "I mean SERIOUSLY!" :lol:

personally, i don't like the mad river valley (though, i do LOVE mrg and enjoy bush south but don't ski there much due to price). i know i'll get hell for it, but the mad river valley just doesn't do it for me.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Mmmmmm...I've gotta say, that's the first time I've EVER heard that.

WWF-VT

riverc0il said:
some have suggested the mad river valley which essentially means sugarbush as even though MRG has beginner terrain, i still wouldn't recommend the place for a first timer and beginner combo. i have no idea what the bush offers for beginner terrain and packages, but bush does have a high price tag. personally, i don't like the mad river valley (though, i do LOVE mrg and enjoy bush south but don't ski there much due to price). i know i'll get hell for it, but the mad river valley just doesn't do it for me. i can see how some people would like it. not trying to vote against it here, just offering a differing opinion and wanted to point out this is an expensive option. no more expensive than BW i would guess, but i think the learning experience at BW would be even better with more beginner oriented terrain and superior views. just my two cents.

Doesn't sound like you know much about Sugarbush or the Valley beside your opinion that it's expensive!

I would think that Mt Ellen at Sugarbush is comparable to Burke and offers a single day lift ticket for $47.00.

noski

WWF-VT said:
riverc0il said:
some have suggested the mad river valley which essentially means sugarbush as even though MRG has beginner terrain, i still wouldn't recommend the place for a first timer and beginner combo. i have no idea what the bush offers for beginner terrain and packages, but bush does have a high price tag. personally, i don't like the mad river valley (though, i do LOVE mrg and enjoy bush south but don't ski there much due to price). i know i'll get hell for it, but the mad river valley just doesn't do it for me. i can see how some people would like it. not trying to vote against it here, just offering a differing opinion and wanted to point out this is an expensive option. no more expensive than BW i would guess, but i think the learning experience at BW would be even better with more beginner oriented terrain and superior views. just my two cents.

Doesn't sound like you know much about Sugarbush or the Valley beside your opinion that it's expensive!

I would think that Mt Ellen at Sugarbush is comparable to Burke and offers a single day lift ticket for $47.00.
Man, thought I would be hanging out by myself on this one! Thanks WWF. Midweek packages (lift and lodging)starting at $69 per person per night is not expensive. That is $140 for two people for decent hotel, breakfast and skiing at your choice MRG or SB!! A nice BB/Inn at $79 pp/pn.....

ChileMass

JBHeadParrot said:
Masshole,

The best thing you can do is not teach her yourself, relationships end that way! Let the professionals do it.

This is a REALLY good point. Taking lessons with your GF could mess up an otherwise wonderful getaway. A group lesson will show you that most people struggle to get their ski technique going and it gives you the freedom to screw up where it doesn't really matter, because everyone else is messing up, too. In a group setting it's likely that you (and your GF) will be better than a couple of your "schoolmates", and feel better about your progress. And - you'll observe others who are catching on more quickly than you and pick up tips from them. A private lesson where it's just you, your GF and your instructor could boomerang on you and become frustrating if either of you really struggle to get on your skis. Plus, group lessons will save you some bucks, and you might make a new friend or two. Think about it.....

And then go to Sugarbush, Stowe or Lake Placid. There's really not much at Burke (with all due respect to Trailboss and rivercoil), and there are lots of mountains out there with a much richer history and more to do. IMHO, the most romantic eastern ski getaway location is Stowe, hands down, nothing else even close. Your girlfriend would love it and there are lots of hotel options to choose from. And Lake Placid, although it's a 7 hour drive, would be a wonderful choice. The Mirror Lake Inn is a really special place and Whiteface might actually have decent conditions even if it rains this week.

Have a great time wherever you go and welcome back to skiing - !

Robbski

I scanned the previous 4 pages and saw not one mention of the Balsams.

If I was looking for a romantic getaway, good food and plenty of atmosphere this destination would be very high on the list.

Skiing is limited (but included) but certainly enough for beginners.

Doable from south shore in 4-5 hrs. Almost in Canada which should improve snow quality.

Might push the $1000 bugdet for 3 nights but its all inclusive.

frozencorn

Black's a good suggestion. Doesn't get much better than being tucked away in Jackson with your SO.

haines

Listen to me read this now!

Here is what you do with your girlfriend

Take her night skiing at Whaleback

All you do is head North on 91 go South on 89

And take to the Whale

One can ski at Night under the lights

Then you can Apre-Ski with live music

It's affordable and doable very doable

foofy

Re Burke:

Great choice - you won't be disappointed.

The new Tamarack Grill at the base lodge is excellent. A bit pricey for the area, but not by Boston standards. Food is outstanding.

DO NOT MISS the Old Cutter Inn for dinner. It is amazing, and has just been sold, so it may not be the same again.

River Garden Cafe in the village is also a great choice.

Elements in St. J. also has incredible food.

You have no shortage of good food for your 3 days!

I agree with other posters - don't bother to sign up for private lessons - go just before the public lesson starts and you'll end up with a private.

Village Sport Shop in Lyndonville or the mountain will have ski rentals.

Enjoy!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
foofy said:
Re Burke:

DO NOT MISS the Old Cutter Inn for dinner. It is amazing, and has just been sold, so it may not be the same again.

Hate to say it, but Fritz sold to the mountain this summer...too bad because the Cutter was awesome.

I agree with other posters - don't bother to sign up for private lessons - go just before the public lesson starts and you'll end up with a private.

Village Sport Shop in Lyndonville or the mountain will have ski rentals.

Enjoy!!

Mountain's rentals may be a bit old...East Burke Sports is right in the village....closer and cheaper than Village.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good news, Masshole, cold temps are allowing for Burke to fire up the snowguns on the Lower Mountain...Bunker Hill is getting covered right now and I imagine they will get Binney Lane fixed up soon enough. I'll be up there Monday if you want me to post conditions...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good news, Masshole.

Burke has been blowing some much needed snow on the Lower Mountain all weekend. Reports are that snow is being blown as I type on two out of five lower mountain runs. I'm going tomorrow for a few hours and can report back to you...but it's looking up. :D