• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Audiobooks anyone?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Anyone else listening to audiobooks?

I'm on #14 since the start of the year. Since I'm spending lots of time in the car, I find they help pass the time without being too distracting. It all started in January, while skiing up at Stowe, I had my ipod on shuffle mode, it skipped to the first chapter of Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger. Needless to say, it was a little creepy listening to this while skiing.

On the way home though, I cued it back up on my ipod. I read the series as a kid and the later books as they were released. I've also listened to the whole audiobook series before, about 5 years ago.

So far, I've listened to...
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower

After finishing #7, I went back and re-listened to books 1, 2 & 3. There's some major tie-ins to book 7 in the 1st three and I'm glad I did that. It really makes the story, well um...stick a little better. Considering that over 25 years passed sine starting and finishing the story, it's pretty amazing how well it all ties together. If you're familiar with the series, there are tie-ins to other of Kings' works. So I decided that I'd listen to all the books that have a relationship to the DT series (since I have the time to kill). The next books I listened to are:

The Eyes of the Dragon
Hearts in Atlantis
Salem's Lot

The Eyes of the Dragon was a favorite of mine as a kid also, but it was very different listening to it 20+ years later. Hearts in Atlantis floored me. Very unexpected. I just finished Salem's Lot yesterday and I'm about to start the unabridged version of The Stand on my way home from work today.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The Eyes of the Dragon was a favorite of mine as a kid also, but it was very different listening to it 20+ years later.
I remember reading that in 6th grade--loved it! Dark Tower, I read I-III; didn't know there were more after that. My dad used to be a big Stephen King fan and I would read them after he finished.

As for listening--no. I rarely have uninterrupted time as it is. I'd feel like I was missing too much trying to hear a story instead of actually reading it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I am currently doing an Audible three month trial. I find audiobooks are hit or miss. I have either been into the program from start to finish or I never really get into it and stop listening eventually. They really make drives to the mountains go a lot quicker if you are really into the book. I normally podcast on long drives but a really good audiobook is just as good if not better. The not so good ones are tough. Unlike a book, it is harder to just press pause and stop listening because you bought the audiobook with the intention of listening while driving to pass the time.

MR. evil

I haven't done an audio book in a while. Maybe I will bust out my copies of the Hobbit, LOR and the Silmarillion for my commute.

Paul

I haven't done an audio book in a while. Maybe I will bust out my copies of the Hobbit, LOR and the Silmarillion for my commute.

Dude, The Silmarillion is the unequivocal champion cure for insomnia. DO NOT listen to while driving.