• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best and Worst Online Snow Report

mikestaple

I'm sure everyone has noted the "creative" writing (or lack of writing at all) that the resorts use on their web sites when describing their mountain's snow conditions.

I've found some, like Sugarloaf, to be truthful. Aka - you really don't have to read between the lines. If things are icy and a problem, they basically state it. Update it throughout the day and indicate when ropes will drop.

Some others, like Ragged, don't really bother. Which is fine - small mountain, small staff - don't waste cash on the site.

Others - I'm looking at you Sunapee - claim to have a snow report, but basically have a canned listing of activities and provide no real information. In fact, if you check out this morning, you know they are dealing with icy slopes cus the only place they mention Friday, is in the article heading. (Don't mention today - focus on tomorrow).

So, when you look at various resorts sites for snow info - who do you find to be the most true and who do find to be most "influenced" by the marketing department?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Best: MRG, Burke's reports (click on the PDF of the actual report), Sugarbush (live trail map feed), and Sugarloaf.

Most improved: Jay Peak (live trail map, encouraging folks to call ahead).

Worst: I dunno.

2knees

from my experience, magic seems not to pull any punches. If its nasty on the ungroomed stuff, he says that.

kcyanks1

Agreed on MRG. They appear to be completely honest about the conditions and weather (e.g., r**n).

2knees

not to nitpick, but magic does the same thing, regarding rain, thaw freezes, thin cover and base etc. maybe you guys just havent skied there to notice.

jrmagic

not to nitpick, but magic does the same thing, regarding rain, thaw freezes, thin cover and base etc. maybe you guys just havent skied there to notice.

Agreed. Before the current management I used to have to call a friend to get the real skinny but Matt is pretty damn honest in the reports. I never really understood why a mountain would lie or just "see things from a different perspective" than their patrons. Yeah you might sucker people up to your hill but when they see the actual conditions versus what was stated they often will not return.

Last edited:

kcyanks1

I agree, I haven't skied there enough (1 time) or paid enough attention to their website (a dozen times, maybe) to notice.. Of course any opinion any of us gives is based on personal experience with the websites/ski areas we have visited.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat is pretty darn honest with their reports, though they don't offer quite the same comedic twist when things are awful as MRG.

Ragged pretty much blows. Pretty much just say what's open, temp, base depth, new snow, condition type.

I like to have at least a couple of sentences regarding the conditions and anticipated weather over the next 24 hours.

kcyanks1

So I gave my opinion for the best (subject to my personal experience, of course :) )... As for a bad one, I'd say Gore, because you just don't know when their report is from. They say that the report is "for" a given date, but don't tell you the time of the report. I think that they update the report the night before, rather than the morning of, like most other ski areas do (of the ones I check). That unfortunate habit is compounded by the lack of an indication of when the report is from. The type of info on the report is good, and I haven't really skied there enough in recent years to judge the accuracy of their statements (I grew up skiing there but haven't as much in recent years). But the timing issue is very annoying.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'd nominate Black (NH) for a bad one. It's very minimal to start with, and they don't update often. When I went there in Feb, they were supposed to get a storm, but when I checked their website, they hadn't updated in 3 days.

gmcunni

+1 on Magic. you can't get anymore honest than this
With respect to operations for the remainder of the season, the trails on which we have made snow are holding up well, but the natural snow trails suffered fairly substantial losses this week. We will be open through Monday, and then assess the situation on a daily basis for the remainder of the week. The weather looks nice until Thursday, and then rain showers may set in later Thursday, Friday, and perhaps even Saturday. We would like to shoot for being open next Saturday and Sunday, 3/28 and 3/29, but that will be determined by the trail availability after warm temperatures this coming week and how much rain falls at the end of the week. Please monitor the web-site for daily updates.

kcyanks1

Not an eastern ski area, but Jackson Hole's report is quite bad. The sometimes go days or I think maybe even weeks without updating the date (or info?) on their trail report. They update the "snow" report page more frequently though.

2knees

unfortunately no you can't :sad: Looks like tomorrow and Sunday will be my last turns there.

this march, while providing some nice spring skiing, will go down as one of the worst ever in terms of snowfall. i cant believe i'm not gonna get another crack at magic this year. sucks......