• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best vehicle for booting up in the parking lot.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I’ve seen a lot of variety in this category; from hatches that shield from the elements while you boot up to fully enclosed vans that are essentially a rolling lodge. What’s your solution or dream ski van?

Bumpsis

I’ve seen a lot of variety in this category; from hatches that shield from the elements while you boot up to fully enclosed vans that are essentially a rolling lodge. What’s your solution or dream ski van?
None - I hate booting up in the parking lot/car. I did when I had to. Schlepping in ski boots from a parking lot to the lifts is just the pits and really does a number on your ski boots. During COVID restrictions I would drop off my family at the drop-off place and then boot up in my car and walk. I bought ski boot walking devices to make the shlep easier, but whenever possible, I'd much rather boot up at the lodge. I drive a Toyota Sienna 4wheel so it's probably as roomy as vehicle can get, but it was still tight if multiple people were booting up at the same time. And then, on the way back, you bring in all kinds of road/parking surface crap into the van. In my opinion, if it's avoidable, I'll boot up in the lodge.

Smellytele

Well I have seen at Cannon a small house on a trailer . It is probably 10’ x 6’ . Looked cool to hang in at lunch. I didn’t look in side as people were in it. You could stand in it.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably something like a Sprinter that you can actually stand up in. A properly fit ski boot isn't going on while seated. But I'm not sure I'd want a Sprinter for anything else, so I'd never own one. Coolest one I have seen is a converted ambulance.

I also have a Sienna, which is very roomy, but I have to stand outside to put the boots on. I do this plenty when I'm only driving about an hour to the ski area. So, basically Gunstock or Pat's for us. Longer drives I don't put my ski socks on until I get there to avoid starting my ski day with sweaty feet. I'd rather do that in the lodge.

I'm firmly in the camp that bags should not be stored in the seating areas. Having a bag check is the way to go for that vs forcing folks to leave their bags in the car or outdoor storage areas.

I don't think comparing East vs West makes much sense at all on this subject. Different weather and clientele patterns.

2Planker

Nothin beats the Minnie Winnie

OIP.9myrhCrcQzMWcbanIlcfIQHaE8

cdskier

The best for me is whatever vehicle I happen to have. I'm not picky on this topic, but I've been booting up in the parking lot for 20+ years so I never really gave needing anything special much thought.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Probably something like a Sprinter that you can actually stand up in. A properly fit ski boot isn't going on while seated. But I'm not sure I'd want a Sprinter for anything else, so I'd never own one. Coolest one I have seen is a converted ambulance.

I also have a Sienna, which is very roomy, but I have to stand outside to put the boots on. I do this plenty when I'm only driving about an hour to the ski area. So, basically Gunstock or Pat's for us. Longer drives I don't put my ski socks on until I get there to avoid starting my ski day with sweaty feet. I'd rather do that in the lodge.

I'm firmly in the camp that bags should not be stored in the seating areas. Having a bag check is the way to go for that vs forcing folks to leave their bags in the car or outdoor storage areas.

I don't think comparing East vs West makes much sense at all on this subject. Different weather and clientele patterns.
The Sienna might be a really good middle option. I picture sitting under the open hatch (which could be propped to prevent it from chopping you off at the knees) to put you boots while the hatch gives a bit of protection from gently falling snow (sideways precipitation not so much).

1672779771552.jpeg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The best for me is whatever vehicle I happen to have. I'm not picky on this topic, but I've been booting up in the parking lot for 20+ years so I never really gave needing anything special much thought.
Not talking about what you’ve been doing. Think of a vehicle that would be ideal for booting up.

cdskier

Not talking about what you’ve been doing. Think of a vehicle that would be ideal for booting up.
To me the vehicle I have IS ideal (for me). Anything special seems like a waste of money...

cdskier

Okay. What makes it ideal? What make and model is it?
It is just a simple GMC Canyon pickup. It is ideal because it is the vehicle I happen to own (my Chevy Avalanche that I owned prior to this truck was also ideal. As was my dad's Suburban when I was younger and he drove). It has running boards that I can use when putting boots on. It has doors that open and close. It has a seat that I can throw/store my clothes/bag on. I really don't need more than that...

KustyTheKlown

lol for real. whatever car you are driving will do. open door, swing legs around, put on boots, put your shit on the passenger seat. go skiing.

its nice to have a little mat to stand on. my bootbags rear flap serves as a mat.

skiur

I just boot up in my living room and then drive up to the mountain, park right next to the trail, hop out and put my skis on.

JimG.

Staff member
lol for real. whatever car you are driving will do. open door, swing legs around, put on boots, put your shit on the passenger seat. go skiing.

its nice to have a little mat to stand on. my bootbags rear flap serves as a mat.
I'll agree 100% with the any car will do crowd.

I always booted up at my car before I got married and had kids. Having young kids running around near cars in a parking lot just doesn't work for me so until my kids grew up and then eventually moved out I was a lodge guy. COVID reintroduced me to parking lot boot ups with the added convenience of car to snow parking (and vice versa). I'm a believer again; lodges just add annoyances to my day for the most part.