• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best vehicle for booting up in the parking lot.

pinion

Ever since my kids started skiing I've had a 2010 Mazda CX-9 which had plenty of room in 2nd row for them to get their gear on. The hatch door gave some protection from the elements but nothing to write home about, I'd boot up out of the trunk. The back was big enough to carry boot bags and some extra tailgate gear (propane tank, grill, tank-top heater, folding chairs, etc). When the lodges were all closed in 2020/2021 we bought an Eskimo ice fishing hut and use that now to warm up, eat lunch, etc.

The CX-9 died recently and my new setup is a Jeep Gladiator. Still working on the setup... have a nice bed rack system for the cargo box and rolling tonneau cover that keeps the snow off our bags. Need to run some aux power to the bed to keep the gear warm (currently just dropping electric handwarmers into the boot bags which works ok but it hasn't been super cold yet). Aside from the lack of a hatch to give the minimal weather protection it's mostly the same for boot-up, lunch, etc as the CX-9 was.

I always thought a tow-behind V-nose hauler would be pretty awesome. But I'm not in the position to drop that $$$ now or in the near future.

raisingarizona

None - I hate booting up in the parking lot/car. I did when I had to. Schlepping in ski boots from a parking lot to the lifts is just the pits and really does a number on your ski boots. During COVID restrictions I would drop off my family at the drop-off place and then boot up in my car and walk. I bought ski boot walking devices to make the shlep easier, but whenever possible, I'd much rather boot up at the lodge. I drive a Toyota Sienna 4wheel so it's probably as roomy as vehicle can get, but it was still tight if multiple people were booting up at the same time. And then, on the way back, you bring in all kinds of road/parking surface crap into the van. In my opinion, if it's avoidable, I'll boot up in the lodge.
None - I hate booting up in the parking lot/car. I did when I had to. Schlepping in ski boots from a parking lot to the lifts is just the pits and really does a number on your ski boots. During COVID restrictions I would drop off my family at the drop-off place and then boot up in my car and walk. I bought ski boot walking devices to make the shlep easier, but whenever possible, I'd much rather boot up at the lodge. I drive a Toyota Sienna 4wheel so it's probably as roomy as vehicle can get, but it was still tight if multiple people were booting up at the same time. And then, on the way back, you bring in all kinds of road/parking surface crap into the van. In my opinion, if it's avoidable, I'll boot up in the lodge.
Jesus you’re a drama queen!

I walk all over in my ski boots. I’ve the same ones for 10 years! There’s replaceable heel and tow plates on most boots. I boot up outside my car. It takes a minute.

Toughen up!

boston_e

I'm firmly in the camp that bags should not be stored in the seating areas. Having a bag check is the way to go for that vs forcing folks to leave their bags in the car or outdoor storage areas.
Lots of big cubbies / shelves for bags works well too.

boston_e

What kind of car are we talking about now?
Was talking about not having bags in seating areas in the liodge. Lots of cubbies in the ledge reduces that.

I’m in the “no preference” camp for booting up… most likely want something 4 wheel drive to get there as safely as possible. Obviously bigger would be better if you were to try to put on boots in the car.

Bumpsis

Jesus you’re a drama queen!

I walk all over in my ski boots. I’ve the same ones for 10 years! There’s replaceable heel and tow plates on most boots. I boot up outside my car. It takes a minute.

Toughen up!
Wow! A double quote... I must have really set you off...You know, you can get help with that stuttering problem...;) Oh, best of luck with that "tow" plate replacement...

raisingarizona

Wow! A double quote... I must have really set you off...You know, you can get help with that stuttering problem...;) Oh, best of luck with that "tow" plate replacement...
No, not set off at all. I don’t know what you mean?

I wasn’t paying much attention to the post and must have double tapped? Whatever. Autocorrect blah blah blah. 😂

I’m just messing with ya.

Razor

We have a Sienna with the middle seats removed. Works great. Removed the middle seats when we bought it, and have never put them back in.

zyk

I've been booting up in various vehicles for years. Doesn't matter as long as the heat works. Best part is the people you meet in parking lots. Some become friends for a day and some for life. I recommend starting with a charcuterie board and beverages...

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I've been booting up in various vehicles for years. Doesn't matter as long as the heat works. Best part is the people you meet in parking lots. Some become friends for a day and some for life. I recommend starting with a charcuterie board and beverages...

We go full on w/ a gas grill, 40" TV and a 1/4 barrel
I’m looking for you guys.

Smellytele

At cannon today wife and I booted up at the car. Grilled some smoked sausage at lunch and unbooted at the car. Did go get in for a morning break and wished we didn’t. FSC kids came in knocked a chair 🪑 into my wife as we sat at a table in an empty lodge . No apologies from him. The coach nor any other kid who saw it said anything to the kid.