• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

2Planker

That may be the case for many people and crowding events as well.
That may be the case for many people and crowding events as well.
Sporting arenas and concerts are starting to require a Neg Test OR proof of Vacc.
Same w/ International Travel and as we know, Domestic air travel is now in consideration.

VT "Permanent" Quarantine Signs was a HUGE WASTE OF TAX PAYER $$$$$$$$.

Puck it

Sporting arenas and concerts are starting to require a Neg Test OR proof of Vacc.
Same w/ International Travel and as we know, Domestic air travel is now in consideration.

VT "Permanent" Quarantine Signs was a HUGE WASTE OF TAX PAYER $$$$$$$$.
1613063435819.png

2Planker

That was uncalled for. Doctor's can have differing points of view just like all of the armchair epidemiologists.
Exactly - Example would be Trump's crony, Dr Scott Atlas, AKA Dr Go Out and Get Covid.
Don't think he was considering his Hippocratic Oath

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
wow, so many snarky comments from a "dr", your unprofessionalism is telling. time for you to review and start complying with the "Medical Code of Ethics", specifically Section 8.12

He's always been very respectful in his views. What's more disturbing, imo, is that fact that you're the second person on this forum to question/doubt/reduce his "doctor" status.

drjeff

wow, so many snarky comments from a "dr", your unprofessionalism is telling. time for you to review and start complying with the "Medical Code of Ethics", specifically Section 8.12
Just curious as to what you felt was "snarky"?

I was questioning what the end point will be?

I was bringing up the simple fact that COVID 19 as a virus will be around for decades to come, just as other past novel Corona Viruses, such as H1N1 have been.

I was bringing up that the common flu, has a higher mortality rate in the young than COVID 19 does, and that both the common flu and COVID 19 have similar mortality rates in the elderly, and what will happen when the common flu likely returns once the widespread travel that spreads the flu annually between the hemispheres returns.

I was stating that the CDC guidance and state guidance aren't always in alignment, which makes one (logically) wonder why the states don't follow what the CDC says, since the CDC is supposed to be the leading voice on disease control in the country.

Is that snarky? Doesn't seem like it to me, which is why I am curious as to what you found snarky?

I remember when VT spent the $$$ to put up hundreds of the permanent quarantine signs and I got tonnnnnns of crap for saying this...but I still believe they're making a statement and plan to require a quarantine for a long, long time. Like after the rest of the world has gone "back to normal".

I keep having conversations with people about how "Vermont won't kill its tourist industry" and I keep thinking "I'm not so sure". I think more than 50% of voters in VT would prefer to keep more people out indefinitely, and if this is a way to do that then fine. I doubt they've really thought through the economic consequences but since when have people ever been rational.

Keelhauled

I remember when VT spent the $$$ to put up hundreds of the permanent quarantine signs and I got tonnnnnns of crap for saying this...but I still believe they're making a statement and plan to require a quarantine for a long, long time. Like after the rest of the world has gone "back to normal".
You're right, aluminum signs are definitely permanent. That's why every single orange road construction sign ever erected is still standing. Yesterday I got lost on the way to work because all the old detour signs sent me four towns away. If only someone were to someday invent the technology to remove bolts...

Zand

Any given midweek day at Gunstock or Wildcat I see as many Mass plates as NH. Some days Mass is the predominant plate.
As I've said, I follow the rules for states like VT and ME because they're smaller and have fewer hospital beds, so I understand why they would want to limit the influx of people into the state.

But MA can go f*ck itself and its travel forms and quarantine rules. If I go to NH and ski and come back, I have way less of a chance of having caught COVID than if I go to the local grocery store or Walmart.

When I'm in NH (which has been frequent this winter), I keep to myself. I stay out of restaurants and really only leave my car to get gas and to ski, and for food its been drive thru or takeout only. But as far as travel goes, they get it with their rules. As does NY. And NJ. And CT. But MA has been and continues to be overly locked down (which has done jack shit as far as cases and deaths go, and we're totally f*cking up the vaccine distribution on top of it) and I'm glad I'm probably within a year or two of moving the hell out of here. Maybe if I move away I'll be able to get the vaccine before 2024 like this state is on pace for.

End of rant. :)

Smellytele

As I've said, I follow the rules for states like VT and ME because they're smaller and have fewer hospital beds, so I understand why they would want to limit the influx of people into the state.

But MA can go f*ck itself and its travel forms and quarantine rules. If I go to NH and ski and come back, I have way less of a chance of having caught COVID than if I go to the local grocery store or Walmart.

When I'm in NH (which has been frequent this winter), I keep to myself. I stay out of restaurants and really only leave my car to get gas and to ski, and for food its been drive thru or takeout only. But as far as travel goes, they get it with their rules. As does NY. And NJ. And CT. But MA has been and continues to be overly locked down (which has done jack shit as far as cases and deaths go, and we're totally f*cking up the vaccine distribution on top of it) and I'm glad I'm probably within a year or two of moving the hell out of here. Maybe if I move away I'll be able to get the vaccine before 2024 like this state is on pace for.

End of rant. :)
Like a cafeteria catholic pick and choose which rules to follow.😀

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You're right, aluminum signs are definitely permanent. That's why every single orange road construction sign ever erected is still standing. Yesterday I got lost on the way to work because all the old detour signs sent me four towns away. If only someone were to someday invent the technology to remove bolts...

I do like your sarcasm, it is genuinely funny, even at my expense.

No other state (that I know of) has felt the need to do this. They wouldn't of done it if they weren't expecting to keep them up for a while, in my opinion. I don't get the construction zone argument. That's a localized area with state highway workers already on the site. How many man hours of unionized highway workers did it take to set up hundreds of signs all across the state?

cdskier

I do like your sarcasm, it is genuinely funny, even at my expense.

No other state (that I know of) has felt the need to do this. They wouldn't of done it if they weren't expecting to keep them up for a while, in my opinion. I don't get the construction zone argument. That's a localized area with state highway workers already on the site. How many man hours of unionized highway workers did it take to set up hundreds of signs all across the state?

VT's argument related to costs was it was cheaper to install those than it was to continue to utilize the portable electronic signs they were previously using for that purpose. If true, then that's fine and makes sense to me. If the sign installation was done by existing staff during regular working hours and didn't utilize OT, then there really was minimal labor cost to put them up.

As for other states, some other states (like NJ and NY) have a LOT of "permanent" electronic signs on their major roads that they ARE (or at least were when I was last in them) using to remind people about COVID rules and restrictions. So there was no need for those states to put up other metal signs since they could just use the existing electronic signs for that purpose.

Edd

No Governors are asking for my opinion but, after everyone 50+ is vaccinated and hospitals have cases well under control, I’d like to see a given state drop restrictions on public places that you don’t HAVE to go to, like restaurants or ski areas. Grocery stores and pharmacies keep restrictions a bit longer perhaps.

cdskier

I keep having conversations with people about how "Vermont won't kill its tourist industry" and I keep thinking "I'm not so sure". I think more than 50% of voters in VT would prefer to keep more people out indefinitely, and if this is a way to do that then fine. I doubt they've really thought through the economic consequences but since when have people ever been rational.
Being up here in VT for the past month now, I'm really wondering just how many people are actually staying away due to the rules. My condo parking lot fills up every weekend. Perhaps lodges are seeing a big impact though. I don't have an easy way to judge that. And it certainly isn't like the ski resorts are empty on the weekends...

drjeff

Where do you find the numbers of flu for different age groups?
Plenty of data on the CDC's website about flu mortality in the young.

Short version, while still not a massive number, it's far higher than the mortality rate for COVID in the young, especially elementary school aged and younger

Being up here in VT for the past month now, I'm really wondering just how many people are actually staying away due to the rules. My condo parking lot fills up every weekend. Perhaps lodges are seeing a big impact though. I don't have an easy way to judge that. And it certainly isn't like the ski resorts are empty on the weekends...
Yeah, I keep wondering that too. I suspect that lodging is being dinged majorly. Meanwhile, I'm beating myself up for missing such a great season. Maybe it's an artificial distinction -- I won't follow the restrictions (well, i follow the spirit but not the letter), but I can't bring myself to lie on a form.

2Planker

Here's a new Heads Up - NY & MA both looked at EZ Pass transactions.

Thank God that they can't prove who was in the vechicle.

2Planker

It's true that they did indeed TRY to make it work.
MA went as far a having their attorneys look in to it.
Came down to NOT being able to prove occupancy of said vehicle.