• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you collect trail maps?

zinger3000

I could be wrong, but I suppose most people just throw their printed trail map away once they're done skiing for the day. Not me! I always grab a trail map (if available) the first time I visit a ski area, and I keep it afterwards. There's generally no need for me to take one on future visits, since I usually remember the layout pretty well. Sometimes I'll bring my original one along, even though I know I probably won't need to refer to it. I keep them in a larger sized ziploc bag, and will sometimes take a look through them, especially in the summer months while going through withdrawal. My collection is at about 25 right now.

I like it when ski areas have a large trail map board at the bottom or top of key lifts. Saves me the trouble of taking off my gloves and reaching into my pocket.

I know this might sound silly, but sometimes when I'm daydreaming of having trouble falling asleep, images of trail maps, both real and imagined, pop into my mind.

Anyone else with a trail map obsession?

crank

I've got a chest in the basement full of 'em. May wallpaper a bathroom or something with them someday.

BeanoNYC

Keep a trail maps app on my phone. I should collect and frame for when I build my man cave, though.

lerops

Yes. Talking about obsession, I actually mark what I have skied and date the map (do a single one for multiple days, though). So, I grab a new one on my next visit. I love trail maps.

ERJ-145CA

I always take a trail map from an area the first time I ski it, I have them all in a shoebox with all my old lift tickets and passes. I guess I'm only a couple steps away from being a "horder". I plan to frame a few of the nicer trail maps one day to hang in the family room. I've been planning it for a few years now.

Also my screen saver scrolls through trail maps of all the areas that I have skied.

Watatic Skier

I've collected quite a few from those rest stops along I-93. The oldest one I have is a Watatic Brochure from 1978-1979 my dad gave me when I used to bug him with a million questions about Watatic when I was little.

SKIQUATTRO

I frame them and the are hanging in the finished basement....still have a few from utah i have to frame

powhunter

I could be wrong, but I suppose most people just throw their printed trail map away once they're done skiing for the day. Not me! I always grab a trail map (if available) the first time I visit a ski area, and I keep it afterwards. There's generally no need for me to take one on future visits, since I usually remember the layout pretty well. Sometimes I'll bring my original one along, even though I know I probably won't need to refer to it. I keep them in a larger sized ziploc bag, and will sometimes take a look through them, especially in the summer months while going through withdrawal. My collection is at about 25 right now.

I like it when ski areas have a large trail map board at the bottom or top of key lifts. Saves me the trouble of taking off my gloves and reaching into my pocket.

I know this might sound silly, but sometimes when I'm daydreaming of having trouble falling asleep, images of trail maps, both real and imagined, pop into my mind.

Anyone else with a trail map obsession?

I rode the lift with some guy..maybe 2 years ago at ski sundown and he pulled out a plastic bag of trail maps....was that you??

steveo

Geoff

I try to live my life paperless these days. If I need a trail map, it's usually a wet, balled-up piece of shredded paper by the end of the day. I discard it. Off-mountain, I look at trail maps online just like everything else in my life.

bobbutts

I used to always load up on trail maps at rest stops and fast food restaurants as a kid. Not sure what happened to that collection, maybe in a box at my parents house or maybe in a landfill somewhere.. I have a much more modest collection now.

Jeremy at Nelsap has sticked a thread where he's selling some..
Selling brochures on Ebay, check them out!

ski220

I have/had collected trail maps since I was a kid of 11 or 12. Unfortunately anything prior to about 1983 didn't make it thru the years. Really wish I had those Stowe, Glen Ellen and Mad River Glen maps from 1973. The first time I ever went skiing in Vermont.

skimawk

I always take a trail map from an area the first time I ski it, I have them all in a shoebox with all my old lift tickets and passes. I guess I'm only a couple steps away from being a "horder". I plan to frame a few of the nicer trail maps one day to hang in the family room. I've been planning it for a few years now.

Also my screen saver scrolls through trail maps of all the areas that I have skied.

My Mom has quite a collection, New England, Canada, Utah, Colorado, Tahoe, Austrila, New Zealand, etc. She has wallpapered her sewing room with them. The ski world all in one room, it's great.

Besides, I think a trail map is the last free item at any ski area!!!!

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
In early 90s when I learned to ski I was gung ho and got every trail map I could find at rest stops and such. Now I usually I keep the maps to places I skied and occasionally willl glance at them before a trip if I plan on going to the same area. I still stock up at rest stops but usually toss them out at seasons end unless I skied it. I don't have affordable high speed internet option where I live so I like to keep the gather the paper maps since all of the area websites can be VERY slow for the map to appear on dial up. I usually keep just one lift ticket from an area I ski, throw away the rest.