• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite ski sayings...

tekweezle

more famous last words-

"it;s not that steep"

"it;s not icy at all!"

skintowin

Some classics:

"Ten inches of new and nothin' to do."

"Keep those tips up" (see Lange girls posters)

"Huck your meat"

"Kodak courage"

"Rollin' down the windows"

"Leave no turn unstoned"

"Because next year, you'll be one year older" - Warren Miller

catskills

Beofore attempting a new trail:

"How Bad Can it Be?"

When Tommy Moe was asked "any advice?" during steep and deep camp in JH, : Tommy Moe said, " Point em down hill and let em run"

tekweezle

the ones i tell the skiers before they do the trail

"it;s an EASY black"

"the Blacks here are like Blues at that other mountain"(very true for cruising hills like WIndham, Okemo and Stratton)

and if they survive-

"that's wasn;t a blue, it;s was something like a Purple"

"Nothing will ever be quite as scary as what you just came down"

smootharc

Jeepers....amazing what you can find on the internet....

Stretch pants - the garment that made skiing a spectator sport. ~Author Unknown

There are really only three things to learn in skiing: how to put on your skis, how to slide downhill, and how to walk along the hospital corridor. ~Lord Mancroft, A Chinaman in the Bath, 1974

The sport of skiing consists of wearing three thousand dollars' worth of clothes and equipment and driving two hundred miles in the snow in order to stand around at a bar and get drunk. ~P.J. O'Rourke, Modern Manners, 1984

The sensual caress of waist deep cold smoke.... glory in skiing virgin snow, in being the first to mark the powder with the signature of their run. ~Tim Cahill

Skiing is the only sport where you spend an arm and a leg to break an arm and a leg. ~Author Unknown

I do not participate in any sport with ambulances at the bottom of the hill. ~Erma Bombeck

Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. ~Dave Barry

Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country. ~Steven Wright

Skiing: the art of catching cold and going broke while rapidly heading nowhere at great personal risk. ~Author Unknown

Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. ~Dolores LaChapelle

Snowboarding is an activity that is very popular with people who do not feel that regular skiing is lethal enough.... I now realize that the small hills you see on ski slopes are formed around the bodies of forty-seven-year-olds who tried to learn snowboarding. ~Dave Barry

I think my favorite sport in the Olympics is the one in which you make your way through the snow, you stop, you shoot a gun, and then you continue on. In most of the world, it is known as the biathlon, except in New York City, where it is known as winter. ~Michael Ventre, L.A. Daily News

sledhaulingmedic

"Ski fast, Safety Last" Ed/Joe/Gus Newell

"Put the patient in the sled, put yourself in the handles, put you and the sled in the fall line. Let gravity do the rest." Sled, when asked how patrollers deal with very serious injuries.

"Be carefull, it's really icy." Lifty at Angel Fire, NM on a packed powder day.

"Son: we com from the Northeast, where the natives have 27 words for "Ice". We call this "Packed powder". Scott/Gene/ Gus LeFevre to a lifty at Angel Fire, NM.

Sparky

Favorite saying while skiing with friends:
"Shut up and ski"

While teaching a group:
"Less talk, more skiing"

The most dangerous saying in skiing:
"Follow me Dad" :eek:

frozencorn

I had Sunny side up. I had Sunny side down, and I had Sunny all the way around.

Geoff

"Go that way...really fast. If anything gets in your way. Turn."
-- Better Off Dead

charles08.jpg

lane05.jpg