• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greylock's Thunderbolt

Greg

Staff member
Looking for any information on the Thunderbolt Trail on Mount Greylock in Massachusetts. What's it like? When is it skiable (generally)? How do I get there?

bvibert

Staff member
Greg, did you ever get any more info on this? I know there was a TR this past season from someone, but has anyone else skied it? Its been on my list of things to do since I heard about it. The dudes from Meatheads made it look pretty cool when they skied it in "Epoch"! :D

Sparky

I posted that TR and there is a segment on the Thunderbold on the new Meathead movie Epoch that is really informative. When we did it there was about a foot of fresh snow over a mix of crust,rocks, brush fallen branches etc. but still great fun to ski(or try to).

dmc

I'm going to try and hit a few of these old trails this winter..

Thanks for the link

Treeliner

Thanks for posting the TR and pics. I was actually just going to start a thread much like this one asking about this trail the other day - it seemed like it could be a good introduction to backcountry, and I had read about it in an AMC book by David Goodman on BC skiing.

This is definitely going to be on the hit list for next winter.

Here's a great article I found a few days ago, actually, on Thunderbolt. It seems like it has good directions to me. It's from couloir mag - http://www.couloirmag.com/articles/destinations/ma/thunderbolt.htm

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
just got my first issue of couloir mag today! w00t!

david goodman's VT/NY book is the best source for info on this classic. still haven't made the time but it is on the to do list. it's history is amazing. NESM has lots of info on it too, but that would require some digging through the journal archieves probably.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
what do you know? i just got the latest issue of NESM's journal and it features an historical article on the thunderbolt as part of it's feature on CCC trails. they sell the journal at the NESM and membership price is worth the journal alone, let alone the other benefits.
:beer:

Greg

Staff member
So, Steve - you gonna get out to Greylock this season? I know it was on your list last year...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
yea, it was on the list last year. this year will be a lot tougher with so many other B/C options much closer. if western MA gets a foot or two of snow on top of a good base that misses the north country i will likely be down to sample the goods.

SkiDog

Just a heads up...there is a small one page write up about Thunderbolt in October issue of Powder mag...

If anyone wants it PM me I will bring it in monday and scan it to PDF...

M

smootharc

Any info on that Power Line....

that goes straight up from Greylock base to summit ?

I seem to recall that line getting skied in Greylock discussions along time ago.

New issue of Freeskier, I believe, has a page on Greylock. But it might have been Backcountry. Sorry....can check tonight.

Grassi21

Nice touring stoke. My Volkl Gotamas are being mounted with Marker Barons as I type this. Can't wait to check out Greylock when the conditions are right.

Grassi21

so you're planning to skin it up, not snowshoe?

No plans yet. Is it skin-able? My skins should arrive via UPS in a few days. Time to start boning up on everything touring. The goal is to get familiar with my gear first, then find a partner or a few that have some touring experience.

crank

I skinned up with some friends via a different route. We crossed the Thunderbolt at one point but did not take it up the mountain. I couldn't tell you where, exactly the skin trail was. We went up through a small abandoned ski area near the bas and then angled right from there. It was actually a very easy skin up.

Grassi21

I skinned up with some friends via a different route. We crossed the Thunderbolt at one point but did not take it up the mountain. I couldn't tell you where, exactly the skin trail was. We went up through a small abandoned ski area near the bas and then angled right from there. It was actually a very easy skin up.

Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn and research before I make an assault on Greylock. Might not happen until next season...

cbcbd

I skinned up the thunderbolt when I did it. Had to do a few switchbacks on the steeper parts, but it's doable.