• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how many days out so far

thetrailboss

Staff member
riverc0il said:
10 ski days with 12 individual areas so far for me. would have made it out more if the snow wasn's so marginal with so little natural terrain open. looking for 30-35 by the end of the year.

:-? OK...you've confused me. You skied half-days I assume?

B

beswift

Four days alpine, three cross-country for me. In the past I used to average over 40 days alpine and 20 to 30 cross-country, but I haven't been doing that in a decade. I could never understand why anyone would want to ski downhill more tha 50 days a year, either. It's just too much time to spend in plastic boots. When I could ski out-the-door cross-country I put in 50 to 100 days. Then my knees couldn't take the abuse, and I don't see much trackable snow at home any more. Any way this isn't the year for skiing the northeast. I hope you all get what you want but remember Dr. King's dream wasn't of a powder day.

Greg

Staff member
beswift said:
I could never understand why anyone would want to ski downhill more tha 50 days a year, either. It's just too much time to spend in plastic boots.
Are you serious? :roll:

dmc

beswift said:
I hope you all get what you want but remember Dr. King's dream wasn't of a powder day.

Wasnt it Dr King who proclaimed he's "been to the mountaintop"?
What better way to celebrate the legacy then to be on a mountaintop!

I'm hoping to take my splitboard up to the top of the mountain on Monday and get away from the crowds - do some skinning....

RossiSkier

THE RAIN

The rain is coming down in buckets. I hear there will be snow later and that Saturday can be saved. It's time for Killington.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: THE RAIN

RossiSkier said:
The rain is coming down in buckets. I hear there will be snow later and that Saturday can be saved. It's time for Killington.

Though Greg's Radar clip is indicating heavy rain at K-Mart. :x Maybe they should have a "blue light special" for the weekend to bring people to the slopes. :wink:

goldsbar

Three:

2 Huntah
1 Beleayre

This has been a horrible year IMO. I don't have the flexibility to make it up to VT or Northern NY so I'm generally stuck with daytrips to the Catskills. Plattekill has barely been open. Just not worth going for me if I have to spend the whole day on ultra hardpack groomers.

B

beswift

Greg said:
Are you serious? :roll:
Dead serious, I get bored with downhill skiing after a while. Then again, I have spent a lot of time at it. My cousins live in Waitesfield and grew up in Vt. One of them doesn't ski anymore. He was the one that did competitive jumping. One of them didn't ski for 6 years when he bought a house in the valley. He got back into it by taking trips to Utah. The other skiis all the time.

B

beswift

andyzeeSki said:
accident on 12/18 you can find the results here: http://photos.ultimateskier.com I'm ok now, but still not skiing. Hoping to get out there by next week.
I took a peek. Yhhhuuuukkkk!!! Looks lik a swollen ankle. Did you break anything? How did it happen? When I sprained my ankle, it took years before I didn't have to tape it up. Even today, I am often reminded of the injury. You should stay off of it as long as you can. I skied hard on my sprain only ten days after it occured. I also hiked on it only 5 or 6 days after the accident. Unfortunately, it occured while I was in the Alps and I couldn't resist the temptations. By the way which one of those heads on your avatar is you?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
beswift said:
andyzeeSki said:
accident on 12/18 you can find the results here: http://photos.ultimateskier.com I'm ok now, but still not skiing. Hoping to get out there by next week.
I took a peek. Yhhhuuuukkkk!!! Looks lik a swollen ankle. Did you break anything? How did it happen? When I sprained my ankle, it took years before I didn't have to tape it up. Even today, I am often reminded of the injury. You should stay off of it as long as you can. I skied hard on my sprain only ten days after it occured. I also hiked on it only 5 or 6 days after the accident. Unfortunately, it occured while I was in the Alps and I couldn't resist the temptations. By the way which one of those heads on your avatar is you?

No break, no sprain, I tried demo skiis at Salamon Demo at Killingon. My belief is that the Din was set too low, never really checked. I was coming down Superstar at a nice speed, made a turn, sat back a little far, and my inside ski popped off. Fell and started sliding down the slope, tried stopping with my outside ski and that popped off. Eventually stopped by braking with my boot. Got up felt no pain and started skiing again, this was about 9am. By 12:30, I went to my truck, lifted my pant leg to look at my leg cause pain had started about 1/2 hour after the fall, and saw my calf had swollen to twice it's size. Long story short it was what I believe it's called a hemotoma, build up of blood. Went to Europe after the accident and the leg and foot swelled again, these are the pics you see. The doctor had to cut into the leg and drain the blood. It's better now and I hope to be back on the slopes by next week :)

Terry

how many days

K2trav- I am extremely jealous. Sugarloaf is so awesome a place to ski. I am planning a trip up in Feb. Can't wait!! :beer:

T

tfanmom

So far I have been on the slopes 8 days..
6 at Whistler
1 at Shawnee, PA...awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 at Camelback, PA...actually fairly decent for a local hill
Would love to make it somewhere this weekend, but we are in for a major snowstorm in Philly and the roads may make that impossible.
Next weekend will find us at Killington.