• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Observatiions

catskillman

Another classic example from their website today - What day is it?????????/

Calendar of Events
Pondskimming Contest and Beach Bash
Saturday, March 24, 2012

Our annual Pondskimming Contest and Beach Bash is on for Saturday, March 31st. Come on out for an outrageously good time as contestants try to skim across a pond without getting too wet. Prizes will be awarded for best skim, best costume and, of course, best splash! Age 13 and older only, no ski poles permitted.

jrmagic

Another classic example from their website today - What day is it?????????/

Calendar of Events
Pondskimming Contest and Beach Bash
Saturday, March 24, 2012

Our annual Pondskimming Contest and Beach Bash is on for Saturday, March 31st. Come on out for an outrageously good time as contestants try to skim across a pond without getting too wet. Prizes will be awarded for best skim, best costume and, of course, best splash! Age 13 and older only, no ski poles permitted.

You're starting to sound like HS ranting about K.

catskillman

yeah - but it is a little area and a lot of us have a lot invested in the town, mt etc........

this is just stupid, sloppy stuff, and it just proves that mgt is not paying attention to the details and the impression people leave with.

They had $17 lift tickets today and the place is empty. Of course it is, people have to work -....

I could go on and direct you to dozens of others who are way more upset with the situation that myself

enjoy the weekend

jrmagic

yeah - but it is a little area and a lot of us have a lot invested in the town, mt etc........

this is just stupid, sloppy stuff, and it just proves that mgt is not paying attention to the details and the impression people leave with.

They had $17 lift tickets today and the place is empty. Of course it is, people have to work -....

I could go on and direct you to dozens of others who are way more upset with the situation that myself

enjoy the weekend

See you're making my point for me:razz: I get it though. I have a condo in ski country at Magic so I understand the lot of invetment at a small area though I msut asy I've been very happy with Magic's mangement.

The place is empty because its raining and the forecast was for rain days ago.

JimmyPete

Friday was a bust because of the weather, Hunter has always survived because of it's snowmaking. there have been some complaints this year, Having a leg injury in early January kept me off the slopes. I'd love to know if they blew decent cover even given the weather.

kingslug

Friday was a bust because of the weather, Hunter has always survived because of it's snowmaking. there have been some complaints this year, Having a leg injury in early January kept me off the slopes. I'd love to know if they blew decent cover even given the weather.

They blew enough snow this season that at one point it was as high as the fences..you had to duck under the f lift where it crosses the trail...check out their webcam now..

x10003q

Here is some scuttlebutt from the HS6 - a couple of employees (guess?) were talking that the financial numbers were better this year vs last year. They said it was because more people were hitting Hunter instead of driving to VT because of the well deserved Hunter snowmaking reputation plus the lack of natural snow.

JimmyPete

Both good to know, While good bathrooms are nice, Snowmaking is where it's at. MRG just closed after pretty sketchy season, no matter what they say it is tough to survive without snow making even the Western resorts were blowing this year to stay alive. Hunter ain't Vail but it is close and has snow.

millerm277

It's been 50F+ and raining on and off. That doesn't spell "time to ski" to many people. You could have $1 lift ticket days and unless the weather gets cold, no one is going to show up, to any ski area that's far enough away that they can't see the snow from their window.

goldsbar

The live webcam shots look grim, but at the same time impressive given the temps. They would have had a great run if we weren't setting records day after day.

catskillman

It's over - see below from their site.

Tube Slide Ride and End of Season Party
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Due to a lack of snow, our 2012 Pondskimming Contest has been replaced with our first-ever Tube Slide Ride and End of Season Party.

Here's how it works: participants ride down a snowy chute on a Snowtubing tube and try to skim across a shallow pool of water. Some might make it across, others probably won't! Costumes are highly encouraged.... let your imagination run wild.

Prizes will be awarded for Best Costume, Best Skim and, of course, Best Splash.

We'll have a BBQ and outdoor bar on the deck, with a DJ spinning your favorite tunes. Saturday will be our last day of the season, so come on out and join us for a great party!

catskillman

Another classic, that a very very frustrated friend pointed out to me today.

Rec'd email from Hunter this morning detailing the Saturday situation.

Email states the NJSC race is "ON".

Then got email early afternoon from Mr. Eyebrows (local non-employee who sends out emails regarding mountain events, status, gossip.) stating that the race is "OFF" because they can't (and/or don't want to) run B lift.

You call the mountain, the phone just rings and rings. The website has it as still on!

I'll bet Jon is right.

If they didn't know this in the morning when they sent out the email there is a definite mgt communication issue. And you can't at least update the site with current info.

Folks booked the hotel......

NJSC makes you prepay for this event, includes tckts, photo's, race, party......... Now the clubs need to get the cash back from the council, and then pay back the members who paid............

They should have just cancelled this earlier - really, racing in those conditions.

I was able to cancel MRG reservations without a problem on Tuesday, so I will be skiing whatever is left at Hunter this weekend but come on ..........

get it together