• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I like Killington...

mondeo

Get to know the mountain a little better and you will find great terrain with very little traversing. There are plenty of great areas at K that you could lap all day with no traversing involved whatsoever.

That being said, those traverses serve a great purpose when you need them. You can easily get from one area to an an entirely different area without taking multiple lifts to get there. If you're spending most of your day traversing, you are not skiing the mountain the way you should be.

I would be happy to show you around the next time you're there. Just hit me up with a pm and it's a done deal. I can't tell you, but I'd be more than happy to show you. No problem.

i know, it frustrates me. i don't really have plan when i get there. i ski something and think it was good, where can i go next, look at map, get confuzeled and end up less than satisfied.
Basically, the plan is to find something good and stick with that trail pod for a while. Cold days, it's basically stick with Bear/Skye/Needles. Warmer, go for the Canyon. Snow conditions, obviously, impact choice as well, but in general there are areas that will have self-consistency with a decent variety within themselves. Royal Flush ->Vertigo -> The Throne is a bad plan. Flush-Throne-Big Dipper-Escapade or Vertigo-Needle's Lift Line-Stairs-Dreamaker are good plans.

Also, same offer to show you around here.

4aprice

...warts and all. It's really the only "day-trippable" mountain for me that gets reasonable natural snow fall. Not a fan of the sprawling layout, but there's plenty of good terrain. Hope the early season approach pans out and they don't overgroom this season. Making it well into May would be nice too. We'll see.

Greg,

When I hit a place like Killington I try to stick to one area of the mountain. Example the last time I was there I skied the original layout of Rams Head, Snowdon, and Killington Peak. If I was there for multiple days I'd move over to Superstar and Bear etc the following days. Each of the mountains has interesting terrain. In my youth we used to search around for the happenings at Killington but I found we wasted so much time moving from area to area and the old gondola was a pain in the you know what.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Highway Star

In a 8 hour ski day you should easily be able to ride every major lift on Killington AND Pico, while skiing quality trails and with virtually no traversing.

Even on a short 2-3 hour day, we will cross the mountain at least halfway, never traversing.

It takes less than 10 minutes to get from the base of Bear to the base of Rams Head, with virtually zero traversing. Maybe 15-20 minutes going the other way.

dmc

KMart is good... If your good and you know it.. If you don't and can't ski harder trails your looking at maps a lot..

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I like Killington when they stay open late season and offer great spring bump skiing.

I like Killington when they don't pull the plug a week early right before cold weather and a snow storm.

I like Killington when they open early and offer skiing on the Glades triple which is far superior to T2 only or T2 to Lower Punch patches with walking at Sunday River.

Basically, I like Killington for the product they used to offer rather than the product that they currently do.

:stirpot:

Geoff

I like Killington when they stay open late season and offer great spring bump skiing.

I like Killington when they don't pull the plug a week early right before cold weather and a snow storm.

I like Killington when they open early and offer skiing on the Glades triple which is far superior to T2 only or T2 to Lower Punch patches with walking at Sunday River.

Basically, I like Killington for the product they used to offer rather than the product that they currently do.

:stirpot:

I agree with you. Their midwinter product is inferior to points farther north in Vermont. Without the fall and spring skiing, the value proposition is lousy.

roark

I agree with you. Their midwinter product is inferior to points farther north in Vermont. Without the fall and spring skiing, the value proposition is lousy.
This is exactly why I haven't had a K pass for the last 2 seasons (and won't this year either). The 'value' at K is early (ok, mostly the jones factor I admit), and late. Midwinter... meh - I'll be @Magic where the 'experience' is far superior or storm chasing when I can. The 'path' to the glades from the gondy is encouraging, but mgmt has to prove a commitment to early/late to make it worth my while.

tjf67

...warts and all. It's really the only "day-trippable" mountain for me that gets reasonable natural snow fall. Not a fan of the sprawling layout, but there's plenty of good terrain. Hope the early season approach pans out and they don't overgroom this season. Making it well into May would be nice too. We'll see.

There are a lot of people that like K and for different reasons. I like K cause it keeps a lot of gapers of off the hill I frequent.

icedtea

Killington is for gapers. No challenging terrain or places to explore. Mt. Snow has the goods.

Highway Star

Magic is waaaay better than Killington, really. You're not missing anything.

deadheadskier

Staff member
that's comedy

the loudest lobbyist for massive investment at Killington; the interconnect, early season lift to the summit, and numerous other projects is now encouraging people to ski elsewhere. :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
that's comedy

the loudest lobbyist for massive investment at Killington; the interconnect, early season lift to the summit, and numerous other projects is now encouraging people to ski elsewhere. :lol:

Loudest critic as well and yet he returns time and time again for the mandatory GS turns.

Last edited:

skiadikt

i'm in the same camp as geoff & rivercoil. unfortunately it's a necessary evil and a good compromise for the present. but yeah the early & late season skiing is why we made the move up there over 20 yrs ago. having lost that, i'd probably be skiing any of it's neighbors to the north (bush, mrg, jay, stowe) if it was more practical.

Riverskier

just curious, what makes you want to ski those other mountains but not killington without having skied any of them? the 4 you listed are great places but i think you would enjoy killington as well if the reason you like a mountain is terrain, snowfall ect...

No vendetta against Killington or anything. Since I haven't been to any ski area in Vermont I would have to make my decision about where to ski based on what I have heard and read. A combination of sustained vertical, snowfall, overall terrain, tree skiing, people, lack of crowds, etc. lead me to the 4 I listed above. Not saying any of them beat Killington in every facet, but they overall sound more interesting to me.

dmc

yeah... i had a late season pass for a while. Rented a house from Mid April to June.. Was up every weekend riding and spending cash..

But that stopped...

drjeff

yeah... i had a late season pass for a while. Rented a house from Mid April to June.. Was up every weekend riding and spending cash..

But that stopped...

It's all your fault! It's all your fault! :lol: ;)

I'd like to say something like "Ahhh, the good old days" but i'm in denial a bit that that statement would make me old :lol: