• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I like Killington...

gmcunni

I don't think it's as sprawling as it used to be - the axing of Sunrise took care of that...

thanks, i was trying to recall the name of that area.. what's the history on closing that part of the mountain?

not sure of the accuracy but wikipedia says -
Sunrise Mountain: Sunrise Mountain is serviced by one lift and is all beginner terrain. It was developed in the early 1980s, but due to its low elevation (at least compared to the rest of Killington), the lower portions of Sunrise had difficulty maintaining snow cover, so they were removed from the trail system. The triple chair, which originally extended further downhill to the southern corner of US-4 and VT-100 in W. Bridgewater, was shortened, and the "Northeast Passage" entrance to Killington ceased to exist in the late 1990s. Lift towers still stand below the existing chairlift. Another reason for the demise of the larger Sunrise Mtn. area was its intended use that did not some to fruition. Killington originally opened Sunrise with the intent of expanding skiing trails and lifts southeast into an area known as Parker's Gore. When these plans were halted due to concerns for bear habitat, Sunrise lost its purpose as a base area to access this terrain, and the costs of snowmaking and maintaining terrain at such a low elevation were not justified by the few skiers utilizing it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was bummed when they closed Sunrise. It was a good start point for daytrippers from the south looking to shorten the drive. Granted, Skyeship is only 5 minutes furthur up the road, Bear tenish, but it was still very convenient.

frankm938

It really isn't the skiing as much as it is the people that I dislike.

care to elaborate?
ive been skiing for many years at many different mountains and ive never come away from it thinking that i didnt like the people. skiing is fun, people are enjoying playing on the snow, whats not to like?

deadheadskier

Staff member
care to elaborate?
ive been skiing for many years at many different mountains and ive never come away from it thinking that i didnt like the people. skiing is fun, people are enjoying playing on the snow, whats not to like?

Steaux gets a bad rap for having a 'snobby richy rich clientele'

never really noticed in my time there.

frankm938

Steaux gets a bad rap for having a 'snobby richy rich clientele'

never really noticed in my time there.

and who cares if they do, stowe has great terrain and not liking the other people sharing the trails with me has no affect on my good time
i agree with you, the people at stowe seem cool to me

2knees

I was bummed when they closed Sunrise. It was a good start point for daytrippers from the south looking to shorten the drive. Granted, Skyeship is only 5 minutes furthur up the road, Bear tenish, but it was still very convenient.

I gotta be honest, I never cared for the place. It was a 20 minute lift ride out of there and on the way back to your car, you couldnt ski the couple of decent runs that were there because you could only access them from the midstation. It cut down on the drive by a bit but when I used to ski k regularly, we gave up parking there rather quickly.

Now go ahead and flame me (not you dhs) but that's my opinion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Did you opt for the Gondola or Bear mainly? I'm guessing Bear so you could start ripping OL right away.

millerm277

It gets my money, and most likely will continue to do so, my bitching aside. Why? Terrain, convenience, cheap lodging, and snow.

- Terrain. There's enough to keep everyone I'm often with entertained, which ranges from low-intermediate to expert. There is also enough variety of terrain, that regardless of the weather, there is always some part of the mountain that's good to ski. I've been there on days where it's snowing on Snowdon and sunny at Bear.

- Convenience. It's under 5 hours from my house in Central NJ except in a blizzard.
- Cheap Lodging, The condos through Killington are dirt cheap with the midweek ski & stay deals, and there's a million pretty good other places to stay nearby as well.
- Snow. It gets a good amount of snow, it's usually light enough powder, and thanks to the convenience, I can actually make it there on a last second decision.

Tyrolean_skier

I felt the need to post a reply to this very important thread. I love my home mountain of Killington because of the varied terrain, the good friends and the night life that is available.

2knees

Did you opt for the Gondola or Bear mainly? I'm guessing Bear so you could start ripping OL right away.

Back then, bear was really the only other choice of the two. It was the original gondola, which went to the peak (that's another story) very slowly. Also, I dont think there was much if any parking around the original gondola. At Bear, K used to occassionaly run the devils fiddle quad if it got busy at the O.L. lift. Plus, bear is easy access to everything.

Geoff

Back then, bear was really the only other choice of the two. It was the original gondola, which went to the peak (that's another story) very slowly. Also, I dont think there was much if any parking around the original gondola. At Bear, K used to occassionaly run the devils fiddle quad if it got busy at the O.L. lift. Plus, bear is easy access to everything.

Northeast Passage allowed you to ski to a pretty good bar/restaurant. On days when the skiing was lousy, it used to be a fun thing to go bar skiing at the Back Behind. The Judge and Nor'easter were fun on powder days when everything else was tracked out. Like everything else at Killington, the sustained pitch didn't last for long.

Back in the day, the Fiddle quad always ran on weekends. Bear was the only place with any kind of uphill capacity. If you wanted to get runs in, you skied Fiddle, OL, and Wildfire off the Fiddle lift. Back then, Bear was the newest base lodge. Everybody I knew parked there because it was easy access where you could always park near the snow up by the Fiddle lift. Everybody I knew started off their Saturday bar crawl with a couple of beers in the bar before bouncing across the dirt roads to the Killington Access Road.

I doubt I rode that Killington gondola more than once a season. It was slow. It broke down all the time.

Edd

I felt the need to post a reply to this very important thread. I love my home mountain of Killington because of the varied terrain, the good friends and the night life that is available.

I sympathize with this response. I feel the same about other mountains. Good on you, my friend...

Smellytele

care to elaborate?

Maybe it was just the 20 or so times that I had been there but there always seems to be rude people with attitudes. Not "I am better than you" attitude but attitudes of "I can do what ever I want even if it ruins everyone else's experience around me." That's all.

Vortex

Every area has its share of people with tude. My favoite k story was a few year back. It was early season and at a surface lift. We all were in line with ropes.

About 15 of us. Guns firing. We were all getting wet by the guns, it was kind of fun in the spirit of early season. A guys walks up drops the rope makes his own entracne with his family, Walks in a few make a comments he gives a salute and on they go

Not worth a confrontation. Just like I don't have to wait. I was just in shock. I think it was the last year of the all for one pass.

A

Geoff

Maybe it was just the 20 or so times that I had been there but there always seems to be rude people with attitudes. Not "I am better than you" attitude but attitudes of "I can do what ever I want even if it ruins everyone else's experience around me." That's all.

Yep. I chalk it up to the high density of NYC people. I suspect you see the same awful behavior at the other places they go.... Mountain Creek, Hunter, and Mount Snow. You don't see it midweek when they're all back in the flatlands stuck in traffic jams honking their horns.

Smellytele

Yep. I chalk it up to the high density of NYC people. I suspect you see the same awful behavior at the other places they go.... Mountain Creek, Hunter, and Mount Snow. You don't see it midweek when they're all back in the flatlands stuck in traffic jams honking their horns.

Didn't want to offend anyone but you nailed it!

farlep99

^^That's a pretty big generalization of NYC people. Most people I know in NYC take the subway or bike everywhere & don't sit in traffic. Most NYC people I know are pretty chill. Maybe you're referring to the NYC suburbanites.

millerm277

It's improved a lot in the past few years (Then again, there's also a lot less people.). It's never been a huge issue for me though, liftlines and crowded areas of mountains aren't my thing, and the people skiing where I am, usually have a good attitude.

frankm938

Didn't want to offend anyone but you nailed it!

does it really ruin your day if you have to share the mountain with people from NYC?
come on man, lighten up.
most of the NYC skiers dont get to the mountain until noon, so you dont have to compete with them for fresh tracks on a powder day.
they want everything groomed, so you dont have to worry about them on the bump trails
they dont ski trees, so unless you are skiing blue square groomers between 12:00 and 3:00, the only time you have to spend with those scary new yorkers is maybe sharing a 5 minute chair lift ride
they buy full price day tickets, they buy lunch at the lodge and are done skiing by 3:00 to buy full price beers at happy hour (instead of tailgating in the parking lot)
every big mountain in vermont (bush, stowe, K, okemo ect...) depends on the new yorkers and their $$$. without them we would be paying twice as much for our season passes and the mountain would blow half as much snow.