• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak closed for season as of Saturday 4pm

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm trying to convince my 93 year old, totally independent WW2 vet father to stay in. He just laughs. Won't listen to me, that's for sure.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app
My folks in their 70s are the same even though my father spent the past three days in the hospital recovering from surgery and likely has a very supressed immune system.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Problem right now for Canadians is that if you cross the border and come back to Canada, you're are supposed to declare it to your employer and self quarantine yourself for 14 days.

This is laughable.

On a per-capita-adjusted basis, the COVID19 outbreak in Canada is worse than the United States, which is not shocking because Canada refused to ban flights from China even when the Wuhan outbreak was fully-digested.

BenedictGomez

My parents are 83 and 85, and I am very, very concerned.

I'm trying to convince my 93 year old, totally independent WW2 vet father to stay in. He just laughs. Won't listen to me, that's for sure.

Tell them to shelter-in-place for the next 6 weeks. It's not the end-of-the-world. My Mom died in January, but were she still alive that's the advice I'd give her, and she'd listen to me. Also, if they're in a nursing home or one of those assisted-living condos that's still mostly independent, get them the **** out of there & have them live with you for the next 2 months. I wish the CDC would recommend this.

Slidebrook87

All of them by next weekend would be my prediction. The economy is literally grinding to a halt in front of our eyes. Society is in a total snowball shut down mode right now. It's likely totally unnecessary if this pandemic follows the path of previous super bugs. But nobody wants to take the risk and gamble that this is not "the big one" and get called out for not taking enough precaution.

And honestly, a place like Hunter probably stands the best chance in the East of doing any meaningful business this weekend. Easy quick last hurrah for the largest market.

I think the major resorts will stay open for the most part but I’m curious to see what happens with Sugarbush since it’s owned by Alterra now. Killington will probably stay open because well, they’re Killington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

The economy is literally grinding to a halt in front of our eyes. Society is in a total snowball shut down mode right now. It's likely totally unnecessary if this pandemic follows the path of previous super bugs. But nobody wants to take the risk and gamble that this is not "the big one"

Blue chip stocks with solid balance sheets that pay a dividend and are in COVID19 distressed industries.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the major resorts will stay open for the most part but I’m curious to see what happens with Sugarbush since it’s owned by Alterra now. Killington will probably stay open because well, they’re Killington.

For what reason do you think major resorts will stay open beyond this weekend?

I just pointed out that Boston hotels are down in business 90+%. Delta announced they are grounding 300 planes today. Whole states are cancelling school for weeks. Freaking Disney World is closed!!!

Nothing like this has ever happened before in the lifetime of anyone you or I know. Not the 08 crash, 9/11 or any war in the past 100 years.

With this reality, you really think major ski areas will March on?

skizoo

Blue chip stocks with solid balance sheets that pay a dividend and are in COVID19 distressed industries.

Here in Ludlow, I have a friend who runs the largest on mountain rental company at Okemo. Over the last few days for every cancelation due to Covid 19, there have been 2 new bookings from people wanting to get out of the cities. This was actually one of the strongest booking weeks for this week in March in years.

I have no idea what parent company VR will decide, or what may happen this coming week, but bookings are up.

Areas that were due to get a lot of Canadians this coming week will likely be down, but not here.

BenedictGomez

Here in Ludlow, I have a friend who runs the largest on mountain rental company at Okemo. Over the last few days for every cancelation due to Covid 19, there have been 2 new bookings from people wanting to get out of the cities. This was actually one of the strongest booking weeks for this week in March in years.

That's actually fascinating. Also shows you why, "shutting everything down" isnt the panacea some think it is.

Julius

I know many couples that are here now (Sugarbush) and plan to stay and work remote. They will also be skiing and spending money over the next few wks that otherwise would've been allocated throughout their hometown areas. It's mid March. I recall one April we got 7 feet of snow. Low chance given this seasons outcome but hey, never know.

Keep calm and ski on.

Sent using Tapatalk

tumbler

Even though we went north for the 2 week social distancing I don't think there will be a ski area open after Sunday. Vermont just declared a state of emergency yesterday, they are few days behind MA for example that a few days ago had no school cancellations and no ban on large gatherings. Now everything is closed. Vermont will follow suit quickly with schools and large gathering places closed. That means ski areas for sure.

Slidebrook87

We’re planning to go to Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Tremblant in the coming week because I am on spring break, but if we get news that school is cancelled beyond that, we plan to temporarily move to Sugarbush.

steve22

I don't think there will be a ski area open after Sunday.

I hope this isn't true. I'm sitting in Lincoln, NH getting ready to head out. Local news (WMUR) had a short piece on ski areas' response and mentioned that Cannon plans to remain open until April 12. Races and some other events have been cancelled. Also Loon closed gondola for the season and cancelled day care/ kids' lessons.
The snowpack is almost gone in town though.

VTKilarney

I have no idea what parent company VR will decide, or what may happen this coming week, but bookings are up.

Lesson: Don’t equate the Boston hotel market to a rural market.

Edd

Vail seems to be determined to stay open, with precautions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

Windham is pretty crowded as of 10:15 AM. I feel like people want to get out of NYC and not stay in it.