• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk retirement savings

Where do you stand concerning retirement savings?

• I have a company plan and I'm comfortable that I am on track to retire when I want to

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I am self financing my retirement and I'm comfortable I will retire when I want to

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I have a company plan, but I'm not comfortable with how much I'm saving

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I am self financing my retirement and I'm WAY behind

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No worried at all, I plan on marrying into money ;)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No worries, my winning lotto ticket is due any day now

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I hope I die before I get old

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctenidae

*waiting for ctenidae or sro to post and tell me how dumb I am and give sound advice*

Keep up the 401(k), but don't fall for the "lifecycle funds" hype. Watch the fees (they can kill you slowly), don't fall for the auto-rebalancing option.

Keep your Roth funded as much as possible- the bonus on the Roth is that it's post tax, so anything you put in can be withdrawn whenever with no tax hit. It's only the gains you get taxed on later. At this point, you may actually want to concentrate more on the Roth, since you're probably in a lower tax bracket now than you will be in 20 years.

I'd consider 60/40 or 70/30 as your baseline, and put your ranges around that. Granted, you'd be getting killed right now at 70/30, but you're investing for the long term, and one would hope that the active managers are looking at buying opportunities.

If you're planning on staying at FM for 50 years, then that pension plan is great. if not, then maybe not so much. Pay attention to the vesting schedule, and factor that in if you decide to change jobs.

Put more money into goat futures.

(insert standard "I am not a financial advisor, consult your advisor before making decisions, etc etc" disclaimer here)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Keep up the 401(k), but don't fall for the "lifecycle funds" hype. Watch the fees (they can kill you slowly), don't fall for the auto-rebalancing option.

Keep your Roth funded as much as possible- the bonus on the Roth is that it's post tax, so anything you put in can be withdrawn whenever with no tax hit. It's only the gains you get taxed on later. At this point, you may actually want to concentrate more on the Roth, since you're probably in a lower tax bracket now than you will be in 20 years.

I'd consider 60/40 or 70/30 as your baseline, and put your ranges around that. Granted, you'd be getting killed right now at 70/30, but you're investing for the long term, and one would hope that the active managers are looking at buying opportunities.

If you're planning on staying at FM for 50 years, then that pension plan is great. if not, then maybe not so much. Pay attention to the vesting schedule, and factor that in if you decide to change jobs.

Put more money into goat futures.

(insert standard "I am not a financial advisor, consult your advisor before making decisions, etc etc" disclaimer here)

Yeah, I've got Fidelity for my 401(k) and I've steered clear of the Freedom funds. I haven't heard much good about them from anyone.

60/40 is probably smart, although I'm closer to that anyway, since in 50/50 estimate includes my 6 month CD ladder emergency fund, which since I'm not planning on touching unless I really need to, shouldn't be counted towards my balance. I'm thinking of shifting a little towards securities over the next few months but that's as close as I get to "active management." More like, "only slightly less than a passive portfolio."

I'm 0% vested in the pension until year 5, at which point I become 100% vested. I'm just happy that FM still provides for both pension and 401(k). If there's one service the world always needs, it's insurance, so I'm happy with the stability of my pension. FM has been around for like 140 years.

And just one more thing... goat milk, goat cheese, or goat meat futures?

snoseek

Yeah, you're right, I'd much rather stand in the bowels of hell greeting the degenerates of this country...

so funny yet so true. Maybe after skiing today I'll start a Wal-Mart hate thread.

ctenidae

See, that's a real quandry, there. If meat demand takes off, that's going to kill milk and cheese supply, and if milk demand increases, ex cheese, then cheese is going to get expensive, and the supply of meat will fall off. Of course, if cheese starts to grow in popularity, then demands for milk are going to push prices up, but again, the meat supply will be affected. So, I'd say go long on meat, short milk, and stand pat on cheese.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I sell kid goats, roughly 18lbs, for $7.95/lb if that helps with your decision at all :lol:. Price has been stable for the past 9 months

tree_skier

I should be OK but do worry about retirement in17 years. Being self employed I have the value of my business plus a deffered comp program through my buying group (pays out after 10 years so gives me 10 years of post retirement income) an ira that doesn't get funded much anymore plus my wife who is 6 years younger and works at a ski resort (can you say free skiing and Golf) is maxing her 401k and has a roth that might get us through a year or 2. I also plan to be debt free by retirement but that also depends on kids college costs, currently have 6 years left on mortgage.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
401k investing at 4% of pay check with a 100% match since 2001 (year after college graduation). With 35 more years of work before reaching retirement age (well, we will see how long that age lasts before the gov needs to change it again), I feel pretty sound. We just bought a house so having that paid off well before retirement age can not hurt. S has some sort of retirement package too but just recently got the job full time so has yet to enroll. Once our cars and college loans are paid off, we'll probably up the money put away even if it is not matched. Want to get some Roths going too eventually. Essentially, my plan is for us to have full ownership of two cars, a house, and have a few different retirement and savings options squared away by the time the social security and medicare fiasco finally hits the wall. I am not just looking towards retirement but some dark times well before I reach that age. Debt free with ownership and savings within 20 years if possible.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
The answer is You VOLUNTEER and GIVE BACK tO YOUR COMMUNITY >

I am on the Board of Directors of our regional medical center and sit on 4 board committees and my wife is a volunteer in teh Hospital Gift shop

We volunteer at our church and are POLITICALLY active with a citizen's group interested in ENHANCING the Quality of Life in our community . I also advise a number of folks interested in accessing higher education -- sp you GIVE BACK that brings additional satisfaction

The true golden years.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I have zero set aside for retirement and could really care less. I will figure things out as I go

Don't leave your future to luck. Mix in what you enjoy doing with making plans to do it more as you age. Counting on Social Security is not a good plan. Sorry to lecture but this world is becoming less merciful to those without a plan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Don't leave your future to luck. Mix in what you enjoy doing with making plans to do it more as you age. Counting on Social Security is not a good plan. Sorry to lecture but this world is becoming less merciful to those without a plan.

true words for sure

part of the reason I made this thread is that I really need to get my ass in gear in this area of life because like you say here.....I want to do the things I enjoy much more someday than I currently am able to. I screwed off throughout my entire 20's and lived numerous years as a ski bum or on tour with bands etc. It was fantastic, but unsustainable. Now I want to plan right, so I can get back to doing that as soon as possible with no worries.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Interesting you mention your 20's. I'm going to coach my kids to make the most of their 20's earning-wise/saving-wise. If you could enter your 30's with some financial comfort, you sure could enjoy parenting, etc even more. The good thing about being in your 20's is that you have more energy than later on in life (as a rule). Therefore you can kick ass at work and still find plenty of recreation time. Alternately, you can use some of this time to travel and live care-free but it's good to plan how long that will last. If you set some realistic milestones early (owning a house, having $100k in retirement, etc) and reach them, you'll have a good start on life.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting you mention your 20's. I'm going to coach my kids to make the most of their 20's earning-wise/saving-wise. If you could enter your 30's with some financial comfort, you sure could enjoy parenting, etc even more. The good thing about being in your 20's is that you have more energy than later on in life (as a rule). Therefore you can kick ass at work and still find plenty of recreation time. Alternately, you can use some of this time to travel and live care-free but it's good to plan how long that will last. If you set some realistic milestones early (owning a house, having $100k in retirement, etc) and reach them, you'll have a good start on life.

That's great parenting right there. I intend to do the same.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I intend to enslave my kids and make them mine salt for me to further my own financial standing.

If I were going to have kids, of course.