• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

LHC going online at 3:30 AM

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
And hey look, all the paranoid morons who thought this was going to create a black hole and swallow us all were wrong. I'm shocked... SHOCKED.

In other news... how many agree with Hawking that this will also not find evidence of the Higgs?

deadheadskier

Staff member
we watched it to.....hope something comes out of it, otherwise an awful waste of 6 billion dollars

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
we watched it to.....hope something comes out of it, otherwise an awful waste of 6 billion dollars

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that something will come out of it. And there's a very high probability, almost certainly in fact, that it will yield one or more major breakthroughs.

Remember they're not just taking a shot in the dark with this thing. They're building off of a lot of experience, not the least of which is LHC's now little, older brother, FermiLab.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that something will come out of it. And there's a very high probability, almost certainly in fact, that it will yield one or more major breakthroughs.

Remember they're not just taking a shot in the dark with this thing. They're building off of a lot of experience, not the least of which is LHC's now little, older brother, FermiLab.

I'm sure they will. As long as the findings provide another hour or two of interesting TV on Discovery or the History Channel, I'll be happy :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
so the LHC is going to go on line this morning. hopefully we will all be here in the morning. i will be realy pissed if i don't get to go riding this winter.
:lol: Love it! At least you have your priorities straight!

Wishing I had more than basic cable right now....

I got to watch that snazzy rap last week so I could learn all about it, though, right? :lol:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Fortunatley for all of us, they didn't actually collide anything last night, they just sent a couple protons around the thing to make sure it works in that regard. The first collision is planned for October 10 I think.

So we can remain calm until 10/10... then EVERBODY PANIC.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If you want. Not sure how you're going to construct a black hole proof bomb shelter though. I'd be impressed if you could...
Just because I can't build a fantastic contraption doesn't mean I can't construct a black hole proof bomb shelter. Geez! :rolleyes:

:lol:

SkiDork

If you want. Not sure how you're going to construct a black hole proof bomb shelter though. I'd be impressed if you could...

prolly need to line it with kryptonite...

supermanHold.jpg

ctenidae

While devastating in many ways, it'd be prtty cool if that whole area melted down in a Philadelphia Experiment type wackiness.

It probably won't, and we'll just end up with some new weird particles we'll never remember the name of.

Or maybe some new strings. Or even Super Strings. That'd be cool. Especially if they could put them in a can.

Beetlenut

Fortunatley for all of us, they didn't actually collide anything last night, they just sent a couple protons around the thing to make sure it works in that regard. The first collision is planned for October 10 I think.

So we can remain calm until 10/10... then EVERBODY PANIC.

Got it! End of the World on 10/10!! Crap, I'm gonna miss my Birthday!