• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic 12-16-07

djspookman

Date(s) Skied:
December 16, 2007

Resort or Ski Area:
Magic

Conditions:
Snowing, blowing snow, some sleet blowing around for that sandblaster effect

Trip Report:
Roark and I skinned up Lower Magic Carpet, just as another group was heading up Show Off. We decided to head up that way cause we're both a little out of shape and wanted to conserve our energy. The snow underfoot was pretty packed down from the previous nights grooming, so skinning was pretty easy, although the pitch was taking its toll on our energy levels. As we approached its intersection with Wand and Medium, my left skin broke, forcing me to boot pack the rest of the way up. That wasn't too bad due to the previous nights grooming, but still sucked compared to skinning.

We popped into the ski patrol hut up top and had lunch, then were joined by a group of folks also up skinning/skiing. Decided it was time to go once my fingers started freezing, hopped into my tele's and proceeded to hop off the patrol deck into the small snowdrift a mere foot below. BAD idea. I somehow managed to flip myself over, providing some amusement to roark and all the other people.. oh well, that's what I do I guess!

After much indecision after that, we decided to head down Twilight Zone, where we were greeted with some sweet knee deep freshies, although we had to straightline most of it. That wasn't a problem for roark, but I could not stay balanced and upright today at all! I think I ate it and bombholes about 8 times down that run, into the deep, fluffly snow.... ahhhhh :)

All in all it was a great day, and I had a BLAST (especially eating it so much) It was very humbling for me though... ha! oh well!

Pics below:

me off balance trying to keep my tips up and in DEEP:
12-16-07-6_DaveheadingdownTwilightZ.jpg

roark charging the first pitch:
12-16-07-4_KingsleyheadingdownTwili.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

MrMagic

all right !! the first magic post of the season!!! three cheers!! thanks for the report

roark

Great day!

Thanks for waiting for my slow ass. It was ridiculous skiing a trail where I'd normally be checking my speed at every opportunity mostly in straight line mode... I guess knee+ deep pow will slow you a little!

roark

a few more of djspookmans' pics:

Slow going on the way up - d had to wait for me _a lot_.
12-16-07-1_KingsleySkinningupLowerM.jpg

Some serious back seat steeze:
12-16-07-3_KingsleyheadingdownTwili.jpg

I saw this a few times:
12-16-07-6_DavecrashingonTwilightZo.jpg

It was good.
12-16-07-7_KingsleyheadingdownTwili.jpg

Very good.
12-16-07-8_KingsleyheadingdownTwili.jpg

MrMagic

oh man thats sweet! im super stoked for a magic trip now, lifts turning or not