• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 1/30/2009

bvibert

Staff member
Awesome day. That was some dense powder though. Everything that was skied was very wind-loaded and skier packed, but the snow bonded well to all the rocks and whatnot. We managed 13 runs (9 with Gary), skiing from 9 am - almost 4 pm with a 45 minute break for lunch. Runs of the day were Redline (3X) and Magician (from the upper) to Heart of Magician to the Hallows (2X). Also hit Greenline for the first time; short but pretty steep. Hit all the other major runs, Slide of Hans, Sorceror, Talisman, Blackline, Goniff and Twilight Zone. Redline was by far the sickest. The face skied nicely and the drop after it seemed bigger than I remember. Hallows was fun and there is still definitely some untracked if you looks for it in there. We also skied some woods off Heart of Magician and all flailed around like gapers so we looked for an out. Great day. Good to finally get north again. Got some vid that I'll probably put together tomorrow.

What he said + RAD!

I think that is Twilightzone in the pic and it looks superb!

Close, it's Goniff Glade.

Last edited:

gmcunni

Had a great time today at Magic. The snow was heavy on the first few runs we took but as we moved to other trails we got a taste of a variety of powder conditions.

Did a mini-demo day. Greg and Brian let me test drive their skis. Greg's Dynastars were lighter and quicker than my Volkls, turning was a breeze. Brian's G4s were great in the dense snow, 84mm waist and 178 cm length was very different than my 77/170s and i was at first put off by them but once we got on some steep terrain those things cut thru the snow like a hot knife in butter.

Had to cut the day short for parental responsibilities but really enjoyed the time on the mountain. Couldn't believe how deep the snow was in the woods.

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a good day. We will be there tomorrow with Jeff and my buddy Nelson. What are some nice intermediate woods to ski there. For all the times I have been to Magic I have never gone in the woods

The only official woods run that I know of is The Hallows, off of Heart of the Magician. It's pretty mellow in there for the most part. There's a fairly well defined path through there that you can stick to if you want (actually a MTB trail from what I've been told), but the woods all through there are well spaced. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they were intermediate woods though. Aside from that I'm not sure.

2knees

nice! glad you guys had a good day. had the stuff in the car but i would've been a major downer to ski with so i stuck to my plan of going to work.

cant wait to seet the vid.

loafer89

Radar shows what looks like some light snow around the Magic area. Hopefully they get a few inches overnight.

Greg

Staff member
Video

Gary provided some great footage. Thanks for getting that to me so quickly Gary! :) Anyway, here's the video. I hope you all like it. You might notice towards the end I try a small drop on Redline, in honor of Austin, and just to do him proud, I immediately crash. :oops: :lol: Enjoy:

I should also mention that they had a groomer running laps around the place pretty much all day. Lots of opportunities for some buttery smooth cord on the runouts. Legs needed that after skiing the upper mountain terrain. Great day. One of the best of the season so far. Thanks for the great company guys. Gary was freakin' killing it today. :-o

roark

The only official woods run that I know of is The Hallows, off of Heart of the Magician. It's pretty mellow in there for the most part. There's a fairly well defined path through there that you can stick to if you want (actually a MTB trail from what I've been told), but the woods all through there are well spaced. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they were intermediate woods though. Aside from that I'm not sure.
The Hallows is probably the place to go for the easiest trees. Pretty low pitch, lots of lines.

There are no other trees worth skiing at Magic. ;)

twinplanx

Nice video. You can tell its gona be good from the opening shot of the parking lot.:p
And I thought you guys just skied bumps.:spread:

powbmps

Nice video. Looks like it was a good time.

Can't believe the lack of people there. No wonder they can't afford a weed whacker :wink:.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
sweet video. you guys look like you had a lot of fun. bravo, do it again!
Now for all the lurkers saying they should get to magic, how can you beat a video like that? Next week could be another keeper!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Can't believe the lack of people there. No wonder they can't afford a weed whacker :wink:.

I've been thinking about this. It gets very busy on a pow day. We've got to get them more folks on non-pow days, to keep the revenue coming in. Clearly snowmaking is going to be necessary in the long haul. But with the base-a-building this year, there is no reason people shouldn't be making the trip any day!

Glenn

Awesome vid! Looks they have some nice terrain there. I need to head up there some time.

What was up with that lift around the 3 minute mark? Is that a new lift? I didn't see a haul rope or chairs.

madskier6

I was there on Thursday & the lower parking lot was full by 10:00. That was technically the powder day from Wednesday's storm so Billski's right on that point. The conditions are great at Magic right now. They were even fresher on Thursday. I'll post some pics from Thursday later.

Dr Skimeister

When I was at Magic last weekend, I had a chairlift conversation with a guy who owns a condo there. He implied that the present owner is in financial dire straits and that there is some question as to whether they'll be open next season.