• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Questions

MadMadWorld

Did magic ever go out of business? Because I never heard of it once growing up until I joined AZ.

Magic is on my east coast bucket list for sure. Seems like it has a "MRG of southern Vermont" vibe

Late 80s I believe but I think they reopened like 5 years later.

gmcunni

Late 80s I believe but I think they reopened like 5 years later.

wiki says

Magic Mountain and Timberside ceased operations due to bankruptcy in 1991. With the exception of the summit Heron-Poma double chairlift and the Pohlig-Yan triple chairlift, all lifts were removed during liquidation. While Magic Mountain would later reopen for the 1997/1998 ski season, the Timberside area was sold separately and to this day is not lift serviced. There are plans to gradually reopen Timber Ridge as a private ski area.

4aprice

I don't think that the original Magic was looking for the MRG vibe. When it opened and back in the 70's the access road was lined with Inns. They wanted to be an intergral part of the "Golden Triangle" with Stratton and Bromley. I think the mountain proved to be too tough for many and that's why it had difficulty keeping pace with the other 2. Now with no true beginner area (removal of the T-bar and uncompleted replacement too) its definitely changed its persona, and I believe only 1 of the Inns remains as such. Don't get me wrong, I love what the new management is/has done and the new MRG, Plattekill type persona and of course love the mountain as well. It's A-1 for challenge in Southern Vermont.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Abominable

It's interesting that Magic ownership actually bought Bromley at one point. The two mountains are now so different.

Bromley is Sold Again
In the fall of 1987, Magic Mountain purchased Bromley from Moore and Munger, Inc.. The following year, the new ownership, led by Simon Oren, installed a new Poma fixed grip quad at Bromley. Named after Pabst's famous beer, the Blue Ribbon Quad provided modern, high capacity lift service in the Snow Bowl. Unfortunately, 1988-89 was once again a bad snow year.

By the time 1990 rolled around things were starting to crumble and Oren reportedly sold his stake in the business to Joe O'Donnell and Petros A. "Bob" Palandjian. Following the 1990-91 season, the decision was made to close Magic Mountain. After the 1992-93 season, Magic and Bromley were separated. Magic was put on the auction block, while Bromley was put up for sale, with management citing the prohibitive cost of environmental review necessary to rebuild the snowmaking at the latter as a reason. Ironically, Guinness was reportedly interested in purchasing Pabst's old ski area.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/bromley.php

wa-loaf

So, now that I've been I want to go back and have another question.

The Magic website lists a fair amount of places to stay on the access road and nearby. But, there don't seem to be any condo options where I saw there are a bunch right there. Do people not rent them out? Is there another source to look and see what might be available?

jrmagic

So, now that I've been I want to go back and have another question.

The Magic website lists a fair amount of places to stay on the access road and nearby. But, there don't seem to be any condo options where I saw there are a bunch right there. Do people not rent them out? Is there another source to look and see what might be available?

The mountain has no involvement with the condos. There are 50 some odd units in Trailside ( building near the black chair) Some do rent though most are seasonal these days or as in our case owner occupied every weekend. Shoot me a pm with your number or look mine up from the texts on Saturday... the only 914 # and I can put you in touch with the unofficial realtor that helps some of the owners rent. Also I can answer any other questions you might have.

Newpylong

Sounds like you guys had fun. Would love to get people up to Whaleback for a meet next year after we get some good snow. I know it's a long drive for a lot of people but it's easy to get to and the terrain is like Magic but smaller. Well worth the $20.

wa-loaf

The mountain has no involvement with the condos. There are 50 some odd units in Trailside ( building near the black chair) Some do rent though most are seasonal these days or as in our case owner occupied every weekend. Shoot me a pm with your number or look mine up from the texts on Saturday... the only 914 # and I can put you in touch with the unofficial realtor that helps some of the owners rent. Also I can answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks, I found your number. Not sure I have time for a weekend this season, but I'll drop you a line when I'm ready to do something. Def want to get another day trip in, hoping for a pow day.

twinplanx

Any word on how late into the Spring Magic intends to go?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

Any word on how late into the Spring Magic intends to go?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

The ticket vouchers I had expired 4/30 so I assume they will at least try to make to that point.

slatham

From what I understand there is a strong desire (and I'd say suffiecient base) to make it through the first weekend of April. Therafter, regardless of snow, it is questionable due to lack of people, if last year is any indication.

xwhaler

Magic is offering a Spring 3 Pass for $89 (or $79 in their e-store) for unlimited skiing the next 3 weeks.
A no brainer if you planned to be up there for a wknd.

MadMadWorld

Magic is offering a Spring 3 Pass for $89 (or $79 in their e-store) for unlimited skiing the next 3 weeks.
A no brainer if you planned to be up there for a wknd.

They said they may go longer if feasible. I think sales for this pass will go a long way to whether or they will stay open longer.

HD333

Popped my Magic Cherry on Friday. Great mountain/great vibe. Although a bunch of stuff was roped off and I was to chicken to duck the ropes, next time I want to be able to hit some of the more challenging terrain.

I have one burning question for the Magic regulars: Why is chair 16 pink and blue? Inquiring minds want to know.

bobbutts

I went one time pre-1991 closing and remember it trying to be more mainstream than in the current incarnation. The trail count was inflated and it sprawled with the Timberside interconnect.