• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NE Ski trip !!!

TN_Joe

Looking to drive up north 02/12 - 02/16 to ski from Knoxville, TN. Bringing two boys and looking for good skiing at an economy price.

Have eliminated Smuggs due to cost. Found best deal @ Mount Snow & a decent package @ Killington, although those drives are the farthest (which is ok for good ski & price.)

I ski expert, 12 year old can manage expert, 9 year old is an intermediate. What other resorts and mountains should we consider ???

Any information or thoughts are appreciated !!!

TNJ

gmcunni

Keep an eye on Magic Mountain. If weather does turn sour they would be a good choice to look at. Plenty of expert and intermediate terrain for you and your boys and not as high priced as the surrounding mountains. Also, if you stay near Magic you'd have easy access to other mountains as well. Stratton, Bromley and Okemo are all within quick driving distance.

GolfingOwl

Two places you might want to check out are Bretton Wood and Stratton. Stratton is much closer. Sugarbush should also be a consideration.

BW is running some ridiculous deals if you are looking for low cost but it is definitely a long haul (probably another 3 hours past Stratton). Stratton, while expensive for day trips, often has great lift and lodging deals at their properties.

Neither of those resorts will give you gnarly terrain but might be a good mix of runs where your 9 year old can gain some confidence and even attempt some blacks. Both have good mixes of cruisers, trees, bumps, etc.. Stratton would also give you access to Okemo, Magic and Bromly if you want variety. I believe if you buy a multi-day Stratton pass you can even ski Okemo for a day.

If you want to head a little further north of Killington (about 45 minutes), Sugarbush is my family's favorite. I've gotten some decent deals on some of their condos, which aren't the most luxurious, but do the trick. Sugarbush has two mountains and lots of variet but is more challenging than Stratton or BW. But my blue cruiser family enjoys it and as an advanced skier, I find the blues with my family more entertaining than most places (and then I hit the harder stuff on my own when they take breaks).

Just some advice from a family man with a 7 and 10 year old who does 2+ family trips a year to NE.

twinplanx

Looking to drive up north 02/12 - 02/16 to ski from Knoxville, TN. Bringing two boys and looking for good skiing at an economy price.

Have eliminated Smuggs due to cost. Found best deal @ Mount Snow & a decent package @ Killington, although those drives are the farthest (which is ok for good ski & price.)

I ski expert, 12 year old can manage expert, 9 year old is an intermediate. What other resorts and mountains should we consider ???

Any information or thoughts are appreciated !!!

TNJ
Both Killington/Mt. Snow are closer than Smuggs, if you where considering. But as mentioned Sugarbush is just up the road from K. And most here would proly steer you in that direction for good reason.

If your looking for good ski to price ratio, and want to spend even less time in the car look into Gore in NY. Best rates for hotels would be in the Lake George area(about 40min. from hill). There is a cheap motel along the access road to gore(think it's Valu-haus, or something like that)

Just curious, how long do you expect the drive from Knoxville to New England to be?

Jisch

Consider Bromley as well. I know its not as big as what others are mentioning. I've brought my kids to Snow, Bromley and Okemo this year, Bromley was their favorite. It was cheap too, so good for my wallet (I caught it on MLK day which they considered mid-week - no other places did the same).

John

lerops

I'd second Bromley. Lots of nice blue runs for your younger kid.

Just googled the distances out of curiosity. It is about 16+ hours to Burlington, Vt. You can shave of a couple of hours by staying in So. Vt. On the other hand, it is a 19+ hrs drive to Denver, Co. :D

TN_Joe

Thanks for the tips and insight - will start to check out several of these options.

I plan on driving my wife and newborn to Charlottesville VA, spend the night, then head to New England. A few years back, it was 10.5 hours to Killington - really would like to be in the 8 +/- range if possible.

How would Stratton compare to Mount Snow?

faceplant

hey Joe- from your direction you could swing by GORE first in Ny state- big fun, afordable- then hang a right an head for southrn VT- you can't go wrong with MT SNOW- if your kids snowboad theyll eat up Carinthia there- also you mite check out MAGIC - awsome, afordable- OKEMOs a real good family place- and - Strattons real nice but pricy 'luxury' area- there all in same general area

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks for the tips and insight - will start to check out several of these options.

I plan on driving my wife and newborn to Charlottesville VA, spend the night, then head to New England. A few years back, it was 10.5 hours to Killington - really would like to be in the 8 +/- range if possible.

How would Stratton compare to Mount Snow?

While stratton will keep you busy, MS has more challenging terrain for the advanced skier/boarder.

RISkier

While stratton will keep you busy, MS has more challenging terrain for the advanced skier/boarder.

Do you really think Mount Snow has more challenging terrain than Stratton? Aside from Ripcord and maybe Bear Trap I think of most of Mount Snow being pretty easy intermediate terrain. That said, I like it much better than Stratton. I dislike the whole feel of the purpose built village at Stratton. Mount Snow and the surrounding area has a nice feel. That said, if I were driving up from TN I'd probably drive a couple of more hours and hit someplace in Northern VT like Sugarbush or Stowe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have you considered Snowshoe, WV? Only 3 hours from Charlottesville and a decent mountain. The Western Territory has a couple of trails that are similar in length, vertical to New England. The reason I suggest this is that time is money and you could get two more days of skiing in instead of spending two days traveling too and from New England in your car.

TN_Joe

Have you considered Snowshoe, WV? Only 3 hours from Charlottesville and a decent mountain. The Western Territory has a couple of trails that are similar in length, vertical to New England. The reason I suggest this is that time is money and you could get two more days of skiing in instead of spending two days traveling too and from New England in your car.

That was on the table, but the prices (over Prez. weekend) there are comparable to Colorado & Utah. I have received mixed reviews of Snowshoe from my TN ski buddies. I have a 4 night and 3 day trip @ Mount Sno3 for $922.38 inclusive of lodging & lift tickets.

The ski plan is to weigh Snowshoe v Snowbird, UT in March/ spring break, with conditions and cost a factor. I am guessing the Western resorts will start some killer deals at some point, inclusibve of air fair.

bigbog

might wanna consider quiet Bethel, Maine after driving

SundayRiver(Bethel, ME) always seems to have some good deals going for that week. Check out the website... SR is spread out(6 mtns) = shorter liftlines. They usually have a good prices running, don't know how flexible they are... I don't think you can beat VT for number of areas within driving distance from one another.
STeveD

Last edited: