• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need Advice: Buying a "perma-ski"

Rob A

This coming ski season will be the first time I go out and buy a brand new pair of skis. This season I'll be 18, and I weigh 130lbs and I'm 5' 7". Since I was 4 I'd go to the local ski swap and pick up a pair of used skis and boots about every other season. For the last 2 years I've been in the Jr version of the 03/04 Atomic GS:11.21 160cm.

A little background on how I like to ski, I mostly prefer to stay on-piste. I'm usually the only one found grumbling on a "powder day." I love to carve on hard pack, frozen granular, or packed powder snow. I have the most fun making those arcing turns at high speeds. However, just because I prefer to stay on groomers doesn't mean I can't get through a mogul field or natural conditions. When I go up to Belleayre or other resorts I like to be able to jump into a mogul field on Yahoo or Cathedral Brook and "get through it" which I do with no problems. However, I'm not looking for a ski made for the bumps or made for the powder. I'm looking for a ski that is made to carve, is really easy to get on edge, but can still get through a mogul field if I choose to go into one. I do like the stiffer skis (which is why I've been in race skis), but since they are jr version, I'm sure any adult ski will be stiffer (so I'll stay away from adult race skis). The last thing I want is to hit the slopes for the first time in the 08/09 season and not be able to make a turn.

So all in all, I'm looking for something that is really easy to carve, but is still stiff enough to get moving at high speeds (and not so stiff that it will overpower someone that is 5' 7" 130lbs or prevent me from getting through a bump run if I choose to). I consider myself an Advanced skier, but with a lot still to learn. I've been skiing since I was 4 and there has never been a trail I've come to and said "I can't do that." Most of my skiing is at Mtn Creek due to ease of location, but everything there is basically a joke. I make yearly trips to Belleayre, Hunter, Killington, etc. and have a blast, again never stuttering to attempt any trail.

So what do you guys think? Any ski suggestions? Should I stay at 160? Move up/down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking to make a purchase very soon.

AdironRider

Go find some local ski racer brats and buy their equipment from last year. Probably their slightly used gs skis. These types get new gear every year, take rediculously good care of the the gear while they own it, and sell for dirt cheap as money is usually not a big deal in those families.

Itll be race stock equipment which is exactly what you want.

Rob A

Go find some local ski racer brats and buy their equipment from last year. Probably their slightly used gs skis. These types get new gear every year, take rediculously good care of the the gear while they own it, and sell for dirt cheap as money is usually not a big deal in those families.

Itll be race stock equipment which is exactly what you want.

Thing is I'm moving up to an adult ski now, brand new.

AdironRider

Most ski racers in high school ski on adult skis. These are the types Im refering to. Just because they raced on them a few times doesnt mean theyre not any good. They take great care of the skis, there wont be any damage at all, and most times you get a killer deal. But if you think otherwise, then so be it.

Rob A

Most ski racers in high school ski on adult skis. These are the types Im refering to. Just because they raced on them a few times doesnt mean theyre not any good. They take great care of the skis, there wont be any damage at all, and most times you get a killer deal. But if you think otherwise, then so be it.

Thing is, I'm not a racer. I appreciate the advice, but I have a feeling that if I jumped on an adult race ski, I'd be overpowered (and never be able to get through a mogul run if I chose to). I don't want to have to fight the ski to make it turn if you understand what I'm saying.

wa-loaf

A super cross ski sounds like what you need or any of the front side expert skis; Volkl Superstars, K2 Apache crossfire, etc...

bigbog

boots (#1), transportation & $$$ to go(#2)....

Then GO and Demo (as mentioned)...
At your age I'd prioritize just getting to some mtn with some challenging terrain with good fitting boots....but then I never learned to ski till in my early 30s, so never got the racing itch.

$.01

wa-loaf

Then GO and Demo (as mentioned)...
At your age I'd prioritize just getting to some mtn with some challenging terrain with good fitting boots....but then I never learned to ski till in my early 30s, so never got the racing itch.

$.01

x2, def make boots your priority over skis. The best skis will be tough to control properly without a good fit.

Trekchick

X3 on the boots.
Then Demo Demo Demo!

I'd put a nice midfat in the mix (77 - 88 range)and, though you want something good on hard pack, the Supersports are a bit grippy, and will not be a great tool in the bumps.

Have you thought of something like a semi twin?

Glad to have the chance to confuse you. Its what I do :D

wa-loaf

So all in all, I'm looking for something that is really easy to carve, but is still stiff enough to get moving at high speeds (and not so stiff that it will overpower someone that is 5' 7" 130lbs or prevent me from getting through a bump run if I choose to). I consider myself an Advanced skier, but with a lot still to learn. I've been skiing since I was 4 and there has never been a trail I've come to and said "I can't do that." Most of my skiing is at Mtn Creek due to ease of location, but everything there is basically a joke. I make yearly trips to Belleayre, Hunter, Killington, etc. and have a blast, again never stuttering to attempt any trail.

So what do you guys think? Any ski suggestions? Should I stay at 160? Move up/down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm looking to make a purchase very soon.

Rereading this I think you should try out the K2 Apache Stryker. I demoed it 2 years ago. It's a quick, but damp ski that has a good edge grip and will be fun if you head into the bumps or crud. It got a little squirrly at high speed, but I weigh 210 and it wasn't enough ski for me.