• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Conway later season?

boston_e

Looking for some input here everyone....

I've been to North Conway plenty, but mostly mid season. We are looking at taking a trip later this season (towards the end of March) and are thinking North Conway because the kids love the area.

Since I typically gravitate to places like Killington, Sugarloaf, SR etc for end of March / April skiing, I'm wondering what to expect from places like Cranmore, Black etc come the last couple of weekends in March.

Obviously it is all weather dependent, but I'm hoping for a generalization from others experience.

Thanks

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat is one of the best late season ski mountains in the east IMO. That would be where I'd plan on skiing based out of N. Conway that time of year.

EPB

Wildcat is one of the best late season ski mountains in the east IMO. That would be where I'd plan on skiing based out of N. Conway that time of year.

Agreed. Wildcat holds snow about as well as any area in the east.

Attitash is planning to close on Sunday April 1st, but Wildcat and Bretton Woods will stay open later. While Wildcat is the best option in the valley, BW isn't too shabby either late in the season. Black and Cranmore both have fairly southerly exposures and Cranmore is situated at a particularly low elevation, so I wouldn't anticipate either area having much snow in late March-early April.

Keep an eye on the weather/snow reports because its been a slow winter, but I skied Wildcat on 4/22 last year and the conditions were great. It could definitely be worth your while to make the trip.

Edd

When I think spring skiing the 2 mountains foremost in my mind are Wildcat and the Loaf.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Black won't be open for late March or any of April. Southern exposure, early start to spring, and a low snow year are not good for Black. Wildcat is the only way to go in that part of NH for spring skiing. Attitash for a second choice. Since they are both on the Peak Resorts ticket, you might be able to get some sorta multi-day deal. I don't know if Cranmore makes it into April.

The Sneak

Some of the best spring skiing experiences I've had have been at Wildcat and Bretton Woods in April. Spring skiing rules.

skiersleft

Black won't be open for late March or any of April. Southern exposure, early start to spring, and a low snow year are not good for Black. Wildcat is the only way to go in that part of NH for spring skiing. Attitash for a second choice. Since they are both on the Peak Resorts ticket, you might be able to get some sorta multi-day deal. I don't know if Cranmore makes it into April.

I'm planning to ski Wildcat/Attitash in late March, so that's good news for me. Question is: why is Attitash a good choice for spring skiing if it's base elevation is only 600 feet? I'm not questioning your assertion, I'm sure it's right. But I'm just curious as to why they hold snow well despite their low elevation.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm planning to ski Wildcat/Attitash in late March, so that's good news for me. Question is: why is Attitash a good choice for spring skiing if it's base elevation is only 600 feet? I'm not questioning your assertion, I'm sure it's right. But I'm just curious as to why they hold snow well despite their low elevation.

Strong snowmaking builds a deep base, and a northern exposure helps preserve the snow by shielding it from the strengthening Southern sun.

mlkrgr

+1 on Wildcat and North Conway Grand is a good place to stay. There's $10-$20 off their regular rates at NC Grand if you have the Entertainment Book; and you can't go wrong with the discounted pricing on Hotwire for 3/3.5 star places in the area.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Well, there aren't many other choices. Black will definitely be closed, Cranmore will likely be closed, Bretton is very flat and you gravitate towards places with a lot more pitch like Killington, River, Loaf, etc. Wildcat should definitely be on the ticket. The only area that leaves in the area is Attitash. They are low elevation but they do have a solid northern exposure and blow a lot of snow so I think they'll make it to their projected closing date. And if not, Wildcat definitely will and you'd have interchangeable tickets. And out of all the areas you listed as places you gravitate towards, Attitash is the closest (even more so than Wildcat, actually). So there is my reasoning behind the recommendation.

frozencorn

I was at both Friday-Saturday last week. Wildcat was blessed with last week's storm, and Attitash certainly seems to have the base to make it to April 1, or whenever their close date is. If it warms up though, they've been known to pull the plug on a moment's notice. One more storm later this month and Wildcat should be good for mid-April.

vdubbin

Bretton is very flat and you gravitate towards places with a lot more pitch like Killington, River, Loaf, etc. Wildcat should definitely be on the ticket.

Definitely low-angle but one of my best days with spring conditions was at Bretton. Wide-open trails (actually nice in this one instance) carvable and fast edge-to-edge.

Wildcat has much better terrain and a more classic feel (even if they went all cooperate, boooo).

nashuaskibum

Black should still be kicking (hopefully)

I can tell you as of right now we're not planning on closing Black till the weekend of 24/25 unless there's a lot of these crazy warm days. We have events planned through that weekend, and have a really solid base. We will push for the 31st/1st weekend if conditions and skier visits permit though.

Cheese

Bretton is very flat

+1
Once Bretton's snow turns to mashed potatoes, getting any speed going down the hill will be difficult.

Haven't been up there recently but Avenger at Bear Peak (Attitash) used to be a blast in the spring. Big soft bumps, small cliffs w/blue ice waterfalls and right under the chair. If you're into that sort of thing ....

Last edited:

doyboy

We skiied Attitash last March 30th and it was tremendous. Snow was great and there was nobody there.

kickstand

Haven't been up there recently but Avenger at Bear Peak (Attitash) used to be a blast in the spring. Big soft bumps, small cliffs w/blue ice waterfalls and right under the chair. If you're into that sort of thing ....

It was all bumped up this past weekend. My legs were jello, so I didn't hit it, but it looked pretty sweet. I know Attitash is the main mountain, but I've always wished they would keep Bear open instead of Attitash when they start consolidating operations for the season.

Cheese

It was all bumped up this past weekend.

Seeded moguls are always a nice challenge on steeps but there's just something about random bumps, crud and airing out hazards that brings out the chairlift cheers when you nail it. Avenger is bait for just such an occasion.