• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One change

steamboat1

Build a new lodge at top of Gatehouse lift @ Sugarbush to alleviate the weekend crowds at the way too small Gatehouse lodge at the base.
Lot's of wasted space in the new lodge they built & it didn't solve the problem of overcrowding. They could have easily added another level for additional seating instead of having 100ft. ceilings.

catsup948

I'm not a massive fan of Sugarloaf, besides the AZ summit but a tram to summit would be pretty cool. They put lifts in all kinds of windy crazy places in Europe why not Maine?

Tin

I'm not a massive fan of Sugarloaf, besides the AZ summit but a tram to summit would be pretty cool. They put lifts in all kinds of windy crazy places in Europe why not Maine?

Probably the worst possible lift you could put there.

deadheadskier

Staff member

$$$$$

Only viable T2B lift I could see working at Sugarloaf is a Funitel. The estimates I've heard for such a lift are in the neighborhood of $20M. It would take decades to see a ROI on such an investment there.

steamboat1

I don't care what kind of lift they could put in to the summit of Sugarloaf. When temperatures are low & the wind is howling it's not fit for man or beast to be up there. There's a reason there are no trees on the summit & it's not because of altitude, it's no higher than Killington Peak.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

There is a lost ski area (COLSAP?) not even a mile from my house. Michael Coors, the descendent of Adolph Coors and the Coors Brewery, tried to open it back up under the name Eclipse Snow Park. He got pretty far too, rezoned it for the ski area, had a parcel swap with the NFS and everything. In the end though the damn county commissions shot it down due to residents complaining about the extra traffic. I'd like him to keep pursuing it in hopes he can open it up.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_15354392

gostan

P
Lot's of wasted space in the new lodge they built & it didn't solve the problem of overcrowding. They could have easily added another level for additional seating instead of having 100ft. ceilings.
I understand that the original design of the Gatehouse Lodge was modified at the last minute to reduce its size and to give us the miserably designed Castlerock Pub. A mid mountain lodge would alleviate the crowds at base both in the lodge and at Sugar Bravo. I always to do my best to try to avoid coming back to the base, which is some of the beauty of the Sugarbush lift/trail layout.

Smellytele

P I understand that the original design of the Gatehouse Lodge was modified at the last minute to reduce its size and to give us the miserably designed Castlerock Pub. A mid mountain lodge would alleviate the crowds at base both in the lodge and at Sugar Bravo. I always to do my best to try to avoid coming back to the base, which is some of the beauty of the Sugarbush lift/trail layout.

The pub feels as though you are in a cave. If they would have put a second floor in they could have placed it up there with a view of more than the condos and walkways. Bad location.

gostan

Agreed! I hate to try to drink and eat in a cave with a wicked crowded bar. I used to be able to enjoy the bar at timbers, but even that is now beyond crowded all of the time.

gostan

Used to drink at the upstairs bar at the Valley house. Do they even have that anymore?
Yes, but it is now really a bar for the 4 Twenties crowd. they have no issues walking up the hill. down thee hill is another story after a few Heady Toppers.

Smellytele

Yes, but it is now really a bar for the 4 Twenties crowd. they have no issues walking up the hill. down thee hill is another story after a few Heady Toppers.

I would just stop there on the last run then throw the skis back on and ski the 200 yards down to the bottom

Puck it

I don't care what kind of lift they could put in to the summit of Sugarloaf. When temperatures are low & the wind is howling it's not fit for man or beast to be up there. There's a reason there are no trees on the summit & it's not because of altitude, it's no higher than Killington Peak.

No trees because there was a fire on the mountain in 30's, I think. And never regret.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You think Jay Peak and Burke would be thriving mountains for the public in 10 years with no EB-5 funding?

Do you have a crystal ball?

The hotel is not open yet. Burke is not thriving. I'd attribute that to management more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

P I understand that the original design of the Gatehouse Lodge was modified at the last minute to reduce its size and to give us the miserably designed Castlerock Pub. A mid mountain lodge would alleviate the crowds at base both in the lodge and at Sugar Bravo. I always to do my best to try to avoid coming back to the base, which is some of the beauty of the Sugarbush lift/trail layout.
Castlerock pub was enlarged from it's original size. This was done a year or two after the new lodge opened. Has nothing to do with the wasted space upstairs.

VTKilarney

Do you have a crystal ball?

The hotel is not open yet. Burke is not thriving. I'd attribute that to management more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Jay Peak has a LOT of beds and questionable summer viability. Burke has an advantage in that there will be fewer beds and mountain biking brings a lot of people in. The real question is whether or not they can get mountain bikers to want to spend their money at Burke and not just Kingdom trails. That will take better management than we have seen recently. On the other hand, their recent enduro race drew 200 bikers, so it looks like bikers may have a short memory.

My biggest concern would be the build-out of mountain biking trail networks in places that are closer to the urban areas and/or more popular places. Killington is a good example. Ascutney could be a contender as well - although I am not sure what lifts remain.

Last edited: