• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening Day Hunter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimG.

Staff member
ski9 said:
Can I pose a question to you? Would you be more inclined to notice angry drunk skiers/riders if you were just banging out laps, or if you were in charge of the safety and enjoyment of 10 beginner skiers?

Okay, I'm just a dick.

Hunter seasonal program coach here, in charge of 11 kids every weekend day, 4 hours a day. NEVER had a cigarette or anything else thrown at me or any of my kids. None of my kids ever came close to a collision with other sliders. These kids are expert skiers too, we're not sliding around making wedge turns on some isolated spot on Hunter one.

You're right to worry about classes of beginners because...they're !@#$%^& beginners! Of course they're going to fall and occasionally slide into each other. You're supposed to work with that and make it fun, as long as they're not crashing into each other at high speed.

Did you ever consider that stuff gets thrown at you for a reason?

JimG.

Staff member
king of poconos said:
dmc said:
And as far as that little punk from your hood that threatened to burn down my house.. i could care less... He's the kind of snot nosed brat that gives skiing a bad name...

Hey thats right i did say that. The reason i said it is, because you said o im a winy bitch and i dont want you guys to bad talk hunter because my friends and i will lose our jobs. Guess what, there are no 5 or 10 times a year skiers on PASR. Its people who get at least 40+ a year. They dont care what a few peoples opinions are, if they want to go somewere they will. So quit your bitching and shut up. If you want to ski this weekend, i would happily make you look like an ass out there. But, seriously there is a good chance i will be at Hunter on Saturday. If you have the balls to come up to me and say hey, or other choice words, I will be wearing a green jacket and green pants. jacket has a fur hood. I will have a silver helmet with stickers all over it and 06 Armada Ar5. I hope to see you there.

Also your right i am the reason why skiing is getting a bad name. And i like that, so should you. Skiing would be nothing anymore if it wasnt for younf foul mouthed park skiers, we are bringing the sport back. If it wasnt for us either everyone would be on a snowboard, or they would lose intrest in your old man skiing.

Welcome, and thanks for insulting every "old man" on this site.

Maybe you should post your name and address so we'll know where to send the police if dmc's house burns down.

Wanna let us know about any plans you have to kill someone too :roll: :dunce: ?

awf170

king of poconos said:
Hey thats right i did say that. The reason i said it is, because you said o im a winy bitch and i dont want you guys to bad talk hunter because my friends and i will lose our jobs. Guess what, there are no 5 or 10 times a year skiers on PASR. Its people who get at least 40+ a year. They dont care what a few peoples opinions are, if they want to go somewere they will. So quit your bitching and shut up. If you want to ski this weekend, i would happily make you look like an ass out there. But, seriously there is a good chance i will be at Hunter on Saturday. If you have the balls to come up to me and say hey, or other choice words, I will be wearing a green jacket and green pants. jacket has a fur hood. I will have a silver helmet with stickers all over it and 06 Armada Ar5. I hope to see you there.

Also your right i am the reason why skiing is getting a bad name. And i like that, so should you. Skiing would be nothing anymore if it wasnt for younf foul mouthed park skiers, we are bringing the sport back. If it wasnt for us either everyone would be on a snowboard, or they would lose intrest in your old man skiing.

Sounds like you would be a perfect match for some cool website called newschoolers.com...

My guess is he is in middle school...

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
This made me chuckle. The highschooler ranking on him cuz he's in middle school. ;)

Austin - why do you like hangin' with us crusty old coots anyway? :lol:

awf170

Greg said:

Because most younger ski forums aka newschoolers.com are a bunch of immature idiots. If I could find a cool website with a bunch of teenagers I would leave this crappy place in a second :wink: It seems like there are a lot more teenagers on this site now which is pretty cool too..

JimG.

Staff member
awf170 said:
Greg said:

Because most younger ski forums aka newschoolers.com are a bunch of immature idiots. If I could find a cool website with a bunch of teenagers I would leave this crappy place in a second :wink: It seems like there are a lot more teenagers on this site now which is pretty cool too..

Yeah Greg, you old fart :wink: !

awf170

awf170 said:
king of poconos said:

Sounds like you would be a perfect match for some cool website called newschoolers.com...

dang, I'm retarted he has a job, maybe I should learn how to read. Probably a high school drop out then...

dmc

SkiDork said:
dmc said:
The rental market is WAY down... People aren't renting seasonaly like they used to.. And thats a big hit...

Why is that? I know that SkiNutDave used to be a season ski share at Hunter, and now he's been up at K the least few years. But he's not a good example because he moved up to VT.

It just doesnt attract the party crowd like it used to... And lot's of people grew up and had kids then stopped coming up...

We lost one of our crowds to Killington... A whole crew started going there - they're hadrcore bumpers... You may know a few of them,..

rjc1976

dmc said:
SkiDork said:
dmc said:
The rental market is WAY down... People aren't renting seasonaly like they used to.. And thats a big hit...

Why is that? I know that SkiNutDave used to be a season ski share at Hunter, and now he's been up at K the least few years. But he's not a good example because he moved up to VT.

It just doesnt attract the party crowd like it used to... And lot's of people grew up and had kids then stopped coming up...

We lost one of our crowds to Killington... A whole crew started going there - they're hadrcore bumpers... You may know a few of them,..

That's interesting...didn't realize that rentals were that down overall. I just thought it was only my area where people stopped going to Hunter. I did notice though that everyone in my area has shifted towards Killington or Mount Snow over the past few years. I live in a town of people mostly in their 20's to mid 30s, and 5 years ago you used to find listings for Hunter ski shares all the time in local classified ads. However, these days, you don't really find any. Instead it's all for Killington and Mount Snow, and I really believe the $350 All For One Pass has a lot to do with it. Are hotel/motel rentals down too? Or is more just the ski share crowd that rent houses seasonaly that are down?

dmc

rjc1976 said:
dmc said:
SkiDork said:
dmc said:

That's interesting...didn't realize that rentals were that down overall. I just thought it was only my area where people stopped going to Hunter. I did notice though that everyone in my area has shifted towards Killington or Mount Snow over the past few years. I live in a town of people mostly in their 20's to mid 30s, and 5 years ago you used to find listings for Hunter ski shares all the time in local classified ads. However, these days, you don't really find any. Instead it's all for Killington and Mount Snow, and I really believe the $350 All For One Pass has a lot to do with it. Are hotel/motel rentals down too? Or is more just the ski share crowd that rent houses seasonaly that are down?

not sure about hotels just the hsare houses... The new hotel at the mountain is 75% sold... Which is cool..

I'm very familiar with Hoboken... My band used to play O'Donohughs all the time...

BeanoNYC

Hoboken!?!?!?!? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH I'M DYING, I'M DYING AGAIN!!!!!!!!

anyone remember that Bugs Bunny cartoon?

.... this thread has already been hijacked ... what the heck.

ski9

highpeaksdrifter said:
One guy loves Hunter, one guy hates it, so what?

Sounds about right, although I imagine you'll cringe at the thought of me agreeing with you. :wink: Sorry...

Some of you guys came down pretty hard on tiny little Denton when it came to their claim of the steepest in the east. The marketing guy was a liar (like me!) and a hack, etc...

But that was cool because it was just some sh*t place in PA? I sure give DMC credit for being consistant, since he refrained from bashing Denton, btw.

Some of you folks beat the hell out of me for telling you to lay off Denton. Remember? I needed to get laid? And then some guy with a fancy math degree on this or another MB---sry every year my memory gets worse---seemed to prove Denton was steeper than some of the most gnarly runs in New England.

That made things quiet pretty fast.

Someone on the PA MB asked me my opinion of Hunter. And I gave it. When challenged by DMC---yelled at, actually---I expounded, including some hyperbole. But all the crap that we endured from the often drunken guests was very real and very frustrating.

As to the kids going psychotic on you, well, what do you expect? Go stand in a halfpipe and pick a fight. I bet 20 kids will tell you your house is about to be torched and another 20 will start in on what they did to your girlfriend last night. The funny thing is, I don't know the kid that threatened you personally, but he's a really friendly, nice poster among his buds at PASR.

You folks are more than welcome to bash PA skiing here. WTF would I care? If you've had a bad experience, who am I to tell you it didn't happen or wasn't so bad? But coming to a PA website and mocking a PA ski area will likely start some flaming as fast as one of us going to DMC's Hunter MB and trash talking Hunter.

And DMC, you said over and over that you grew up skiing in the Poconos; that your high school---GLHS was it?---was just an hour away from the slopes? And how old were you when you first started skiing? 18? Jeez, DMC, so many stories that your facts start getting mixed up.

You called out my young buds to show them your "skillz" and called me a liar and a crappy intermediate.

So this crappy gaper from the Poconos is calling you out. You're an angry hater from Hunter and is, uh, let me search for the right word....okay: chicken.

I'll pay your entry fee on 4/1, how's that? Total points or time, your choice. $500 is wrong? Name it. Our favorite Skimom holds it and has final say in any disputes.

You know why this would be fun? Because a lot of the little punk-ass kids on PASR are better than me.

KMart bad timing? Your home hill on a simple GS 1/29...and I assure you that Skidude crushes me in GS.

Finally, to Jim: I'll humbly wait for DMC's acceptance and terms over at another MB. This flaming is absurd. In exchange, how about you let us have our opinions on our MB and we let you have your opinions over here?

And for anyone here that I lumped into this and offended, I'm truly sorry. I'm sure I know some of you. This just started because I told a friend that Hunter was the meanest place I'd ever experienced.

Peace.

highpeaksdrifter

Ski9, I don’t know you and I only know DMC from this board, but I think you are both more alike then not. I admire the loyalty you both have to your home areas, you’re both passionate about skiing/riding and you both, IMO, seem like you have really intense personalities. Plus neither one of you will give the other guy the last word. So anyways, you guys should just be pals and lighten up.

You’re taking the Ski Denton thing the wrong way. That just took off with a life of it’s own in here. No one is being disrespectful of the area; it’s just that it’s hard to believe the 66-degree trail, but who knows for sure.

You seem all right 9, so I’ll tell you what, I’m thinking of going to Ski Denton on my Feb. vacation. I really feel the need to check out the extreme skiing scene there. I’ll give you a shout on the PA board when I go and maybe we can hook up.

Peace back at ya. BTW you seem like a competative fella, I like that too. If you are ever skiing Whiteface, I'll show you around and give you a run for your money. Lock and load, 2 men enter one man leaves type of day, but it's all fun and we'll be smiling in the bar at 4:00.

PS-As far as your reference to JimmyG goes, he's always talking his nonsense. He’s a real troublemaker. Don’t pay him any mind.

I didn't use any emoticons so insert them where you think they belong.

dmc

Not taking your bait...
Not really interested anymore...

Please... Just leave me alone... I've proven my point - Hunter isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be.....

Just enjoy you mountain... And have a nice Thanksgiving...

dmc

highpeaksdrifter said:
Ski9, I don’t know you and I only know DMC from this board, but I think you are both more alike then not.

Your probably right about that.. :)
I'm sorry this thing got so out of control... I really don't want to say anymore about it..

JimG.

Staff member
ski9 said:
Finally, to Jim: I'll humbly wait for DMC's acceptance and terms over at another MB. This flaming is absurd. In exchange, how about you let us have our opinions on our MB and we let you have your opinions over here

Peace.

Feel free...but if you come over here to bash my home mountain I'll defend it just like you did on your site.

And my original offer from the first flaming session (in which, if you remember, I defended Denton and your right to express your feelings) stands...love to take few runs with you in PA sometime.

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
PS-As far as your reference to JimmyG goes, he's always talking his nonsense. He’s a real troublemaker. Don’t pay him any mind.

Yup, that's me...TROUBLE :evil: !

Greg

Staff member
ski9 said:
But coming to a PA website and mocking a PA ski area will likely start some flaming as fast as one of us going to DMC's Hunter MB and trash talking Hunter.
Time to get over the whole Denton thing, don't you think? :roll: But...since you brought it up, let's review the facts here. I started the thread on PASR. My initial post was simply asking for confirmation on how steep Avalanche really is. I went to the group (PA skiers and riders) who you would think would know that. To date, we still haven't even seen a photo of it...

Here's your first reponse including comments about AlpineZoners like "a bunch of VT and Hunter weekend skiers that feel the need to trash talk a PA ski area" and "The vast majority of people that I've met and sometimes taught in Vermont that have a chip on their shoulder about "local" skiing have one thing in common: they are crappy skiers that want everyone to think they are better than they are." You then went on to call us a bunch of asswipes. Others can read that thread and make up their own minds as to who's the antagonist. BTW, how many threads over there do you participate in that eventually get locked?

ski9 said:
And then some guy with a fancy math degree on this or another MB---sry every year my memory gets worse---seemed to prove Denton was steeper than some of the most gnarly runs in New England.

That made things quiet pretty fast.
No, what made things quiet pretty fast was the fact the mods on PASR locked the thread due to your comments. I also seem to remember that list confirmed Avalanche is far from the steepest in the East. That was the initial point, remember?

ski9 said:
Some of you guys came down pretty hard on tiny little Denton when it came to their claim of the steepest in the east. The marketing guy was a liar (like me!) and a hack, etc...
Two simple questions. Do you believe that run is the steepest in the East? Do you believe it's 66 degrees?

You know something, ski9, you really come off as a pompous know-it-all. Here's a newsflash: most people don't like pompous know-it-alls. :-?

bvibert

Staff member
Ok guys, time to let this die...

I think its time for the lock...

Yes, thats right the moderators get the last words ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.