• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

predictions on the first snowfall?

thetrailboss

Staff member
It all depends on your location. If I am correct, it did ice on Mount Washington last week and it may have snowed there. Do you mean "snow here to stay" or just snow?

I know that we in the NEK would get an inch or two around Columbus Day and then it would come to stay usually around Mid November or so, but it has come as late as Mid December :cry: .

As for those of us in Southern NE, I'd say the first week of December.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
As for those of us in Southern NE, I'd say the first week of December.
Last year, we saw a light dusting on October 23 in southern Litchfield County, CT.

Zand

Last year, Leicester, MA got a light dusting on October 19th and a good 2" on October 23rd.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Accuweather.com was saying rain mixed with snow and a low of 31 for Saturday Night, October 9th for Rutland, VT. It has been changed to a low of 37 with all rain. While that is Rutland, Killington may pick up some snow from that one. For anywhere else around southern NE, it has a 3 day rainstorm and low temps through it are lower 40s.

My prediction is October 9th. That has been my guess all year and I may be right. let's hope it changes back.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I think that one place should be indicated for this. As others have said, different locations will be at different times. If you chose a place, say Killington, VT, and said the first measurable 2+" at the base, then this would be do-able.

Given the conditions that I mentioned I think it will be on October 17th.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't know exactly when its gonna snow around here, but I do know that it won't be soon enough ;)

hammer

I'll go out on a limb here and say that there will be one day with snow flurries in the Boston area during the last week of October :D

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Ok, flurries...I think there will be flurries in the Worcester Hills of Central MA. some time around the 15th of October.

Zand

Take a look at AccuWeather in Rutland, VT. 10/8, 10/9, 10/10, 10/11, and 10/12 all have night snow for now.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Depends on if you're talking about measureable snow or just the pretty stuff we get in autumn. As Greg already mentioned, we do get snow in mid-late October around here...it just doesn't stick around. First measureable snow in Litchfield County - I'll take bets on December 2nd. And I'm saying snow, not ice like that storm we had a few years ago!