• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Should I hold an extreme skiing clinic this year, at Killington?

mondeo

People in glass houses shouldn't!!!

Okay. How about "Nobody should throw stones." That's crappy behavior. My policy is: "No stone throwing regardless of housing situation." Don't do it. There is one exception though. If you're trapped in a glass house, and you have a stone, then throw it. What are you, an idiot? So maybe it's "Only people in glass houses should throw stones, provided they are trapped in the house with a stone." It's a little longer, but yeah.

Philpug

I skied with the man/myth/legend so long ago...we were both on Metrons. He is fun to ski with and can back up most of his ego.

WWF-VT

Will all the participants get a free "Beast of the East" tshirt and other Killington schwag ?

Will Killington be promoting the "Slay the Gnar with Highway Star" day ?

Sounds like this could be day that confirms that the Beast of the East is back.

icedtea

Yes please.

If you are up this weekend will be making some turns Saturday/Sunday on the Beast.

ta&idaho

This post (or series of posts) from TGR is hilarious, and, to be honest, the "extreme skiing clinic" sounds pretty fun (or, at a bare minimum, amusing):
Bear Mtn was the chosen place to be for our first on snow instructions which took place at the top of Viper. We paused there while HS asked us how we would handle the frozen bump line far to skiers left. I chose to answer, " I would avoid it."
I guess I forgot the part about adventure but I think I had two others agree with me.
HS shows us how it's done by side stepping up to the highest mound of frozen s***, hucks, lands cleanly and balls to the walls, rips the s*** out of the boiler plate rat field. Iriponsnow follows suit exactly. The three of us left, who all apparently didn't read the adventure part, do not huck from the highest frozen s*** available, but we all arrive at the same place...... minus gnar points.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71042&page=6 (*** edited for the family-friendly audience)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some of you may remember the clinic I put on for the epicski folks back a few years ago...........

"Skiing the Highway Way".

While I cut it short due to bad conditions, it seemed to go ok. Should I hold another one at Killington this year?

I didn't realize that you needed "perfect" conditions for "extreme skiing."

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sounds like some people have never skied Devils den or the Darkness.
I would dare suggest there are perhaps only three or four trails in the Northeast that could even come closing to even approaching the level of "extreme". And even then, that is just approaching extreme, not actually being extreme. Face at Jay, Liftline at Smuggs, Tramline at Cannon, perhaps a few others? And even those trails are not "extreme" but rather are just really steep with some cliffy sections. "Extreme" to me suggests something that I would approach with caution and a careful evaluation and would definitely be conditions dependent.

ski220

Will there be a mandatory safety meeting before the start of said clinic? Sounds dangerous.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

I would dare suggest there are perhaps only three or four trails in the Northeast that could even come closing to even approaching the level of "extreme". And even then, that is just approaching extreme, not actually being extreme. Face at Jay, Liftline at Smuggs, Tramline at Cannon, perhaps a few others? And even those trails are not "extreme" but rather are just really steep with some cliffy sections. "Extreme" to me suggests something that I would approach with caution and a careful evaluation and would definitely be conditions dependent.

100% Agree, and you actually just described the Slides at WF spot on.

2knees

"Extreme" to me suggests something that I would approach with caution and a careful evaluation and would definitely be conditions dependent.

i laughed so hard at this i couldnt begin to describe it.

thanks.....

seriously.

Last edited:

AdironRider

Extreme terrain to me are runs like Triple Cliffs on Cody or anywhere in Casper Bowl at Jackson. Man made ice bumps and 5 foot rock booters do not qualify, which is the best you can expect from Devils Fiddle or anywhere else back east. Its just the nature of the game. You guys get "trails" with actual character opposed to our bland wide open boulevards, we get steep and deep.