• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing today v. back in the day

Geoff

I've heard the argument that bumps are different today because of shaped skis, but "unskiable"? :blink:

Let me restate: Short shaped skis produce unskiable moguls. I'm old enough to remember trails that were marked "200 cm skis required" the last time skis went really short.

Mapnut

Here's an interesting quote from 1978 on the subject of ski length and moguls. It's from a book called Skiing the Best by Miles Jaffe and Dennis Krieger. Talking about Mary Jane at Winter Park: "For those skiers coming over from Winter Park, the initiation run is Outhouse, a long, steep, unrelenting bump run (8.75[out of 10 on their difficulty scale]). Thankfully, the bumps are well maintained by the mountain's policy of forbidding skiing on Outhouse (and Golden Spike, another good bump run) on skis shorter than 185 centimeters. While we express no opinion on the constitutionality of this policy, it sure does keep the bumps perfect."

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
There's no such thing as unskiable moguls.

There might be moguls that you, personally, can't ski well, but that doesn't make them unskiable.

That's like me playing Pebble beach and saying that playing Golf there is impossible.

AdironRider

Actually Geoff has made some good points especially regarding the lifts. I find that inexperienced snowboarders have become rather dangerous not because they can't negotiate narrow trails with skiers but because they can't control their speeds on groomed, snow-making intermediate trails. They can't stop quickly (of course an out-of-control skier can't as well). Snowboarding seems to give an inexperienced kid the feeling that he can negotiate any degree of incline easily. As to binding tech, it hasn't changed with Salami or Tyrolia much, but Marker has introduced some interesting new designs post AFD. My internal heated boot certainly was an improvement over those old leather ones I rented in the 60's. However, both are rather rare, now. Although, I did see the advantage to the Cap ski and love mine, I find that I can an equally enjoyable experience with my ski which pre-dated that technology. It also fits my ski vice.

Your kidding right. I see just as many hot dogs on skis who cant control their speed just as much as young hot dogs on boards. Get over this crap, snowbaords are here to stay.

awf170

Actually Geoff has made some good points especially regarding the lifts. I find that inexperienced snowboarders have become rather dangerous not because they can't negotiate narrow trails with skiers but because they can't control their speeds on groomed, snow-making intermediate trails. They can't stop quickly (of course an out-of-control skier can't as well). Snowboarding seems to give an inexperienced kid the feeling that he can negotiate any degree of incline easily. As to binding tech, it hasn't changed with Salami or Tyrolia much, but Marker has introduced some interesting new designs post AFD. My internal heated boot certainly was an improvement over those old leather ones I rented in the 60's. However, both are rather rare, now. Although, I did see the advantage to the Cap ski and love mine, I find that I can an equally enjoyable experience with my ski which pre-dated that technology. It also fits my ski vice.

Freakin' snowboarders. The major problem is that they tend to run into people. Also, many times they have had something to drink. Luckily it is just a fad.

http://archives.cbc.ca/500f.asp?id=1-41-1727-11917

snowkiter

Overall better now IMO -

Ski technology and lifts are so much better now than in the 60s/70s. Boots, skis, bindings - so many more options, so much improved. Six-pack lifts provide terrific uphill capacity, shorter lines. I remember waiting 40 minutes at West (1000' vert) back in the day for a 10-minute ride in the old double chair for a 5-minute trip back down the hill.

AHM brings up a good point - skiing was a LOT cheaper back then. My family all skied (Dad, 7 kids), we had a season pass either in Maine or the old NY state pass (Gore, WF, Bellayre), and hand-me-downs happened every year. Contrast what it costs a typical family of 4 these days. That's one good thing long gone.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I don't agree that these things are as dramatically better as you imply. Not only that, there's just something about the lack of the smell of heated pine tar and wood smoke that makes modern lodges resemble city hotels more than ski chalets. Futhermore, you don't spend anything if you hike up the mountain like they often did in the 60's/70's.

snowkiter

Your kidding right. I see just as many hot dogs on skis who cant control their speed just as much as young hot dogs on boards. Get over this crap, snowbaords are here to stay.
What's a snowbaord? You get over your crap. It's easier to go down a serious slope on a snowboard after a few sessions than it is to ski it. You don't have to know how to control it to slide on a board. Skiis offer a lot more challenges like just keeping them parallel and promote careful descents.

snowkiter

Freakin' snowboarders. The major problem is that they tend to run into people. Also, many times they have had something to drink. Luckily it is just a fad.

http://archives.cbc.ca/500f.asp?id=1-41-1727-11917
No, the major problem is that they are often under-age and travel in packs. It certainly would be better if they were drunk and stayed in the lodge bar. They'ld rather do that as they are just up on the Mountain to party, but no one will serve them.

awf170

What's a snowbaord? You get over your crap. It's easier to go down a serious slope on a snowboard after a few sessions than it is to ski it. You don't have to know how to control it to slide on a board. Skiis offer a lot more challenges like just keeping them parallel and promote careful descents.

No, the major problem is that they are often under-age and travel in packs. It certainly would be better if they were drunk and stayed in the lodge bar. They'ld rather do that as they are just up on the Mountain to party, but no one will serve them.

Go away. Seriously, I can't believe there are still people who won't get over this crap. So do you stereotype different races of people this bad too?

wintersyndrome

I like today better than 10-20 years ago the equipment is better,the gear is better and not so bulky. Synthetics have replaced all that prickly goose down with stuff thatll keep you warm even when wet (though I do have fond memories of doubling up my thermals at Jiminy peak when the w/c factors were down to the negative teens)

I have more mobility now, the gear, boards, skis, bindings are safer than ever, helmets are now the norm...good thing

<rant>
but sorry but I had to chime i on this BS
* Snowboards don't co-exist well with skiers on classic narrow New England natural snow trails.
:-?
(im paraphrasing) Snowboarders run into people, snowboarders are usually drunk
:-o :evil:

I am a snowboarder (since '92) and have happily co-mingled with skiers (i skied for 6 or 8 years prior to snowboarding so maybe thats the key

you can thank snowboards for the shape of your parabolic skis ("wiki" it if you dont believe me) :idea:

Snowboarders account for nearly half of all mountain visits (except at MRG, Alta and a few others because we're not allowed...so much for keeping with the times?) meaning unless your at these resorts, move to the right when I say "on your left"

As a snowboarder who rides like the whole mountain, I take offence to the "Snowboards are not made for the classic new england runs my favorite runs are classic new england narrow runs (sugar-bush, stowe, ascutney, Burke), Ill even rock-it out in the trees for some fun and i find myself doing things I never though of doing on skis. Come to think of it On a snowboard I have yet to cross my tips and Yard-sale it all over the hill sending out projectile missles that can damage a fellows noggin, snowboards are great in the cruddy stuff, the only place I wish I hade skis is tight mogul fields.

I rode with a guy once (he was a skier I was snowboarding by this time) who would down whiskey shots and shovel snow up his nose (the columbian kind) then crash into people because he thought it was funny (i rode with him once, needless to say) though that doesnt make me sterotype all skiers. He's now a born-agan christian and I wont stereotype them either... Point being people are idiots no matter how many planks are on their feet..take your blinders off </rant>:uzi:

thanks for letting me have my say AZ

I cant wait for it to snow

jimme

While I remember the past as being a really wonderful time, if I had used equipment better suited to me in my youth, I'd be a better skier today. I find it much more fun skiing on shorter skis as I like to carve short turns. At 49, I'm a weekend warrior. I sit at a computer terminal five days a week and get as much exercise in as I can which is not much. (I always use the stairs and work on the thrid floor. Each morning I go to the 5th floor and back to the third 2 steps at a time for some exercise.) I've just never been very atheletic. Meaning; try as I might, I can't seem to get to where the "big boys" are at skill-wise. Today's equipment has made it easier for me to carve the turns I like. Has given me new confidence on steeper slopes. Helps me ski moguls, and off trail like I never could with the older gear.