• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steamboat vs. Crested Butte? Where would you go?

deadheadskier

Staff member
gotta drive to winter park from denver...it would take less or about the same time to fly to hayden and catch a shuttle to steamboat and then he can avoid renting...not cheap in CO.

Winter Park is what? hour and a half drive from Denver?

you think it would take less for layover and change plans for the Boat or CB? I haven't caught a flight in the past three years where the connection was anything less than an hour late.

You travel out there all the time though. My suggestion was based on a guess that on average, it's quicker to get to WP than SB or CB. You maybe right.

Geoff

The ski train to winter park is back under new owner. It runs thur/sun I think.

If you are flying in to DEN, the ski train is totally useless. The airport is most of the way to Kansas out Pena Boulevard. It would be a huge amount of screwing around to get from the airport to the train station and it's not like they have hourly service so chances are that flight schedules don't align with the train.

It's far cheaper to fly directly to the resort town and avoid getting screwed for rental cars in Denver. Over the last decade, I've rented cars there probably 10 times per year. If you want to risk a FWD car with all season tires, you can find OK prices tough you still get nailed with big taxes and fees. If you are looking for 4WD, the peak season prices are outrageous. When gas was $4.00+/gallon, Hertz would give me massive SUVs that got 15 mpg out of peak season for the price of an econobox. With cheaper gas, the AWD cars and SUVs are in short supply when most people will be doing ski trips.

abc

If you are flying in to DEN, the ski train is totally useless. The airport is most of the way to Kansas out Pena Boulevard. It would be a huge amount of screwing around to get from the airport to the train station and it's not like they have hourly service so chances are that flight schedules don't align with the train.

It's far cheaper to fly directly to the resort town and avoid getting screwed for rental cars in Denver. Over the last decade, I've rented cars there probably 10 times per year. If you want to risk a FWD car with all season tires, you can find OK prices tough you still get nailed with big taxes and fees. If you are looking for 4WD, the peak season prices are outrageous. When gas was $4.00+/gallon, Hertz would give me massive SUVs that got 15 mpg out of peak season for the price of an econobox. With cheaper gas, the AWD cars and SUVs are in short supply when most people will be doing ski trips.
Agree!

More over, with 2 people, the snow train is going to cost double!

Much better to take advantage of the flight credit to get to a resort without having to shell out extra expense for ground transportation.

snoseek

It's as easy letting them load your stuff on the Skyride (10 dollars) and getting dropped off in front of Union Station. The schedule runs every hour and every 1/2 hour during morning/afternoon peak times. I just read that if you book the ski train early they are running @ 34 dollars round trip per person, that is a great deal and a truly stunning train ride IMO.

Yes it takes some planning and is a little hassle but beats the hell out of sitting on I-70 in a rental and is likely quite a bit cheaper in the end. It will be tons better when they complete the light rail from DIA to downtown.

mister moose

Steamboat Springs, the town is real, still alot of authentic old west vibe once you get away from the resort. The Boat also has a large developed base village. If you go to the Butte, spend one day up at the ski area on Monarch Pass, If you fly into Denver the Boat is a much shorter drive. One ski trip we did from Boulder to the Butte took hours and hours. The Butte/Gunnison area can get really really cold. The Boat can get mucho big dumps.

+1. While he didn't elaborate much, pay attention to the brief comments here. Gunison (just down the road from Crested Butte) is on record as being the coldest part of the state. We're talking serious cold on the wrong weekend. The town has a real feel to it, but is more like Cripple Creek sort of feel... if you've ever been there. Laid out in city blocks, lots of 1800 era brick buildings. It doesn't have the rural mining town flavor as much. Steamboat is just past Rabbit Ears Pass, one of the snowiest passes in the state. The town has a western feel, but it is more the Wyoming end of things, a more cowboy vibe.

So let's see. Coldest vs one of the snowiest....

Winter Park is what? hour and a half drive from Denver?

you think it would take less for layover and change plans for the Boat or CB? I haven't caught a flight in the past three years where the connection was anything less than an hour late.

You travel out there all the time though. My suggestion was based on a guess that on average, it's quicker to get to WP than SB or CB. You maybe right.

gotta figure in the time to get to the rental car place then pick up the car, the cost etc...not to mention traffic on i-70 and potential closures of berthoud pass...sounded like he was talking 3-day weekend, so that probably means friday traffic on i-70 headed to the mtns...ugly. In the end, if you hit it all right and everything is as smooth as silk, you could probably make it to WP faster, but everything has to go your way...going to steamboat has fewer hassles and no need for a rental car even if it means a connection and maybe another 1/2 hr of travel time...and its got the classic western ski town that winter park totally lacks.
personally, I'd head to crested butte, but I haven't been there yet and have been to steamboat several times.

Razor

I spent almost 8 hours sitting on the floor along with hundreds of others in the tiny terminal during a snowstorm at Hayden the last time I went to Steamboat. When our plane was finally able to take off, it was the scariest experience I've ever had on a plane. I'd never take a flight to or from there in winter again.

Dr Skimeister

I spent almost 8 hours sitting on the floor along with hundreds of others in the tiny terminal during a snowstorm at Hayden the last time I went to Steamboat. When our plane was finally able to take off, it was the scariest experience I've ever had on a plane. I'd never take a flight to or from there in winter again.

Should have experienced the flights that used to run from Denver's old Stapleton Airport to the old Steamboat Springs airport. I'm pretty sure the plane was called a Dash 7 that flew over the Rabbit Ears pass and seemed to drop straight down out of the sky for the *soft* landing in Steamboat Springs. I'm pretty sure they doubled up on air-sickness bags in the front-seat pouch on those planes.

mikestaple

Fly straight into Hayden and avoid Denver all together. I'm flying out there in February from Boston through Chicago. 6am departure from BOS will get you into Hayden by 11:40am.

I believe there are directs from one of the NYC airports too.....

darent

long weekend ski and romance trip, go to SLC take shuttle to cliff lodge at snowbird,or goldminers daughter at alta, don't waste money on 1st class air, spend on skiing and romance. if you must waste time flying to colorado fly hayden direct to steamboat, your girlfriend will thank you for picking steamboat, the two of you can get unadorned at the hot springs

jaywbigred

For a long weekend, that's a lot of traveling. Connections can be missed if you have to change planes. I know there are direct flights to SLC out of NY, if not EWR. How about multiple trips if you can only go for long weekends??? Or, see who is getting the snow and book last minute. Any western resort would be romantic if you stay in a nice place.... Steamboat is better suited to anyone less than true experts. In a normal snow year gets twice what CB gets.

Well, I am already looking to see if I can finagle 2 trips out of this, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Can't book last minute, have to book by the end of the year.

My gf is a weak advanced skier or a super strong intermediate, def. not an expert in any sense of the word and I think we are leaning Steamboat as a result.

Is the flight credit good for out of the country? If so, you might want to look to Europe instead. The flight credit might not be enough for a 1st class there though...

For a long weekend, I wouldn't get too complicated a connection.

Can't you get TWO trips out of these credits??? Two long weekends to Utah could be a lot more satisfying than one expensive one with a 10 travel time.

Looked into Europe, just won't work for the amount of time I'm spending. And the credit is on United, which means no direct flights to SLC out of EWR, so I'd have a connection anyway. I checked and cannot use Continental, which is too bad, bc that would be a no-brainer. Flying out of Laguardia or JFK is a long, arduous car trip that costs $100+ (and I can't apply my flight credit to it, of course) and, with traffic, it is not a shoe in to make your flight. Have to leave plenty early, which then results in taking probably an extra day (or two) off from work. From EWR, I can land at noon and be at my desk by 1.

Bump.....Telluride

and yes I gotta agree with Geoff saying Monarch is loads of fun.

Already did a week at Telluride a few years back. I'm trying not to repeat an area this go around.

What about Winter Park? If I was going for only a long weekend, I'd try and eliminate travel as much as possible. Both Steamboat and Crested would require at least a couple of extra hours on both ends of your trip compared with Winter Park. While lacking the old charming town, I'm sure it has enough entertainment to keep you occupied for a long weekend.

Place wouldn't suck for a self professed mogul fanatic either.........
If it were just me, or me and one of my buddies, we would def. be going to MJ. But with the gf, who doesn't share my love of bumps, I don't think it would be appreciated for a romantic weekend.

long weekend ski and romance trip, go to SLC take shuttle to cliff lodge at snowbird,or goldminers daughter at alta, don't waste money on 1st class air, spend on skiing and romance. if you must waste time flying to colorado fly hayden direct to steamboat, your girlfriend will thank you for picking steamboat, the two of you can get unadorned at the hot springs

Again, SLC won't work (see above). Not wasting money on 1st class air, its a credit and its use-it-or-lose-it; however, I am attempting to stretch it to 2 trips, we will see if its possible.

Steamboat is the leader right now unless someone can sway me! I wouldn't mind hearing more about Sun Valley though. Thanks everyone!

dbking

I know, I feel like I won the lottery!!!

Big Sky...interesting, hadn't thought it would be romantic-type place. To be clear, gf is an avid skier, just not a ripper. Even with Yellowstone next door, on a long wknd, we would def. not give up a day of skiing to do non-skiing things.

United flies from Denver to both Gunnison/Crested Butte and Steamboat Springs airports, so I don't think that will be an issue.

When are you planning on going? Big Sky just had it's best opening in 12 years. The Tram is going to open tomorrow depending on the storm/wind that's coming. Romantic... is like good night life... it's what YOU make of it where and when you are there.
I think United flies into Bozeman.

SIKSKIER

Northwest

If it were me I'd fly into Seattle or Vancouver.The Pacific Northwest has had an epic start to the season.Whistler just recorded it's highest snowfall month ever,of any month.

Dr Skimeister

Steamboat is the leader right now unless someone can sway me! I wouldn't mind hearing more about Sun Valley though. Thanks everyone!

I've been to Sun Valley but once and thought it to be an excellent mountain with a very cool vibe and a fun town of Ketchum-but a pain-in-the-ass to get to. I flew from LaGuardia to Minneapolis to Boise, ID, and then took a coach for what seemed like 3+ hours.

Snow is iffy at best at Sun Valley. You can look the numbers up, but it gets considerably less snow than resorts in CO/UT/MT, or even those more north in ID.

ta&idaho

I've been to Sun Valley but once and thought it to be an excellent mountain with a very cool vibe and a fun town of Ketchum-but a pain-in-the-ass to get to. I flew from LaGuardia to Minneapolis to Boise, ID, and then took a coach for what seemed like 3+ hours.

Snow is iffy at best at Sun Valley. You can look the numbers up, but it gets considerably less snow than resorts in CO/UT/MT, or even those more north in ID.

The drive's less than 3 hours (and you can fly into the local airport from Salt Lake, although not on United), but you basically nailed it. Fun town, but the skiing isn't as impressive as some of the other resorts you're considering.

snoseek

When are you planning on going? Big Sky just had it's best opening in 12 years. The Tram is going to open tomorrow depending on the storm/wind that's coming. Romantic... is like good night life... it's what YOU make of it where and when you are there.
I think United flies into Bozeman.

Lucky you, we haven't had shit down here and it looks like more of the same for the next couple weeks. I'm growing tired of skiing the same dozen low angle groomers.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Sun Valley is a weird place. The airport is in Hailey just down the WRV from Ketchum. The skiing is more eastern than western IMHO. Some nice bowls but it's mostly below timberline. They get the good snow, as mentioned not as much as other rocky mtn resorts and lots of bluebird days.

If you want to spend some big bucks and get some major points with the SO, it's a good place for that. You stay in Sun Valley, the original developement from the Harriman days, very romantic, lots of romantic type ammenities. Sun Valley Lodge is at the top of the lodging food chain. It's away from the ski hill but the views of the mountains are nice.

I was there in the late 80's when they fired up the world's largest automated snowmaking system over on the Warm Springs side of Baldy. It cost over 1m which was alot at that time and being in the Rockies was unique.

That's another thing, the Rockies, the Sawtooth Range, are impressive, but you mostly only see them if your up on the mountain or drive up to Stanley. Mostly just a bunch of bare hills around the Wood River Valley to the east and Baldy on the western side.

We always stayed at some flea bag motel in Ketchum. Some great bars and the Pioneer has the best prime rib I have ever tasted. Ketchem is a fun ski town.