• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Thread Jan 25-26 2013

hammer

From the NWS discussion for NH:

FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...
AS MENTIONED ABOVE WE ARE LEANING TOWARD THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN FOR THE POTENTIAL STORM. PTYPE ALL SNOW BUT STILL COULD CHANGE IF STRONGER STORM TRACKS CLOSER TO SNE. TIMING OF SNOW MAY NOT BE UNTIL LATE FRI WITH BRUNT OF STORM FRI NIGHT INTO EARLY SAT. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THIS WILL BE A MODERATE SNOW EVENT BUT THIS CAN STILL CHANGE WITH MORE OR LESS SNOW AS WE ARE STILL MORE THAN 3 DAYS AWAY.

At least a moderate snow event...promising. I'll be in FL this weekend taking care of family business so my main concern is getting out Friday morning, which so far looks OK.

mlctvt

It could trend north over the next few days. At least that's the consensus on the weather forums. Let's hope...

drjeff

Tons of variable to solve with this low pressure system right now! Literally today, it's off the Northern British Columbia Coast just a bit south of the start of the Aleutian Islands! It should get picked up my the STRONG polar jetstream, taken a bit North and East into Northern BC, before it starts a run out of the Northern Canadian Rockies, into the high plains of the Midwest and then if the models hold, somewhere near the Middle Atlantic before turning North and hopefully pummeling us with snow! Just a few variables and 5,000 miles or so of storm traveling before it might arrive in about 90 hours or so ;) :)

Puck it

Most reports are not showing anything of significance for northern resorts from what I see.

BenedictGomez

It could trend north over the next few days. At least that's the consensus on the weather forums. Let's hope...

Given the 12z Euro just dragged this thing even further sooth i don't know why they'd think that. The trend has been more and more south. Now even n. NJ's snow total from this is at risk. i hope it scoots North too, but the trend isn't our friend.

hammer

Yup, for now nothing to see here...right now the wonderfully accurate map on accuweather.com puts the snow band below New England ski country:

400x266_01221816_plowable.jpg

BenedictGomez

Yup, for now nothing to see here...right now the wonderfully accurate map on accuweather.com puts the snow band below New England ski country:

View attachment 7409

All I'm hoping for is a 50 mile north shift at this point. Would keep the Pocono snow status quo, and put some snow in the Cats. At this point there are just so many variables at work all we can do is wait.

ScottySkis

All I'm hoping for is a 50 mile north shift at this point. Would keep the Pocono snow status quo, and put some snow in the Cats. At this point there are just so many variables at work all we can do is wait.

Time for you to check out Elk, it kind like Platty, just a little wider, but not completely as steep, but their expert runs are good.

4aprice

Time for you to check out Elk, it kind like Platty, just a little wider, but not completely as steep, but their expert runs are good.

Let me start by saying I hope it trends north. That said the accuweather map shown does not do Elk or Plattekill any favors. If it happens as the map portrays Camelback and Blue will be the winners. Don't get to Blue till the following weekend but I would assume they're in good shape. Camelback will have thier full compliment of trails open this coming weekend and natural snow would just make it better.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hammer

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...FRIGID AIR WILL REMAIN LOCKED IN PLACE FRIDAY AS HIGH PRESSURE BRIEFLY CONTROLS THE NORTHEAST. TEMPERATURES WILL BE A FEW DEGREES WARMER THANK THURSDAY EVEN IN THE NORTH AS THE AIR MASS MODERATES BUT STILL EXPECTING HIGHS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS NORTH WITH LOWER TO MID TEENS SOUTH. FRIDAY NIGHT AN APPROACHING UPPER TROUGH WILL PROMPT A SURFACE LOW TO DEVELOP OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST. THE MODELS DIFFER ON HOW CLOSE THIS SYSTEM WILL BE TO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND AND THUS HOW MUCH SNOW MIGHT FALL...WITH THE LATEST TREND FARTHER OFFSHORE AND LESS PRECIPITATION. CURRENTLY HAVE GONE WITH A CHANCE JUST ALONG THE COAST AND A SLIGHT CHANCE FARTHER INLAND WHICH WOULD TRANSLATE TO ONLY 1-3" AT THE MOST. THIS WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED FOR DEVIATIONS FROM THIS TRACK.

Sorry I jinxed this one...:-(

Guess I'd rather have little to nothing instead of NCP. At least the groomers should stay in decent shape with the cold weather.

j law

I've never been to Blue but this might be my first time. I haven't skied in the east this year and I need to get my legs in shape.

Though it looks like they only have 28 of 39 trails open. Anyone know if their expert terrain is open? I couldn’t tell by looking at their website.

BenedictGomez

Looks like (yet) another storm that's going to slip away to the south. I'm beginning to feel like Charlie Brown.

LUCY-FOOTBALL.jpg

mriceyman

I've never been to Blue but this might be my first time. I haven't skied in the east this year and I need to get my legs in shape.

Though it looks like they only have 28 of 39 trails open. Anyone know if their expert terrain is open? I couldn’t tell by looking at their website.
they will have it fully open for the weekend. i think they closed trails today because of snowmaking.

JDMRoma

Well that Totally Sucks for New Hampshire this weekend........oh if only I was in Steamboat again !