• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Speculation Thread Jan 25-26 2013

gmcunni

boo
snowfull_1dd9559b5b37924c_89d7bf1835346921.png

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
A brief warmup is possible through midweek with some light mixed showers but we should be back into the freezer again later next week.
But it doesn't snow in the freezer.

First it was supposed to be snowy at the end of Jan. Now I'm hearing beginning of Feb.
I wasn't able to take advantage of the snow in Dec, so this winter so far is just about the same as last for me.

sull1102

As of now I know the current operators barely wanted to run the place this year. Half the upper management left for New Jesrsey after last year . I know their decision wad on hold until after this year.

WinnChill

First it was supposed to be snowy at the end of Jan. Now I'm hearing beginning of Feb.
I wasn't able to take advantage of the snow in Dec, so this winter so far is just about the same as last for me.

I know it's frustrating to have the cold and not the snow. We weren't really expecting it to be that snowy this time around--just cold. But the transition to Feb looks slightly more favorable for some snowy events.

BenedictGomez

If they keep saying the same thing, eventually, they'll be right. Broken clock hypothesis.

ScottySkis

Yep, you're onto us now.

I know your a great forecaster, you told me about the rain snow line and exact time it would change snow to rain on my vacation in NH couple years ago, so I realize how much of a PITA it is to predict weather in North east. You see any lake effect for Roxbury, NY?

WinnChill

I know your a great forecaster, you told me about the rain snow line and exact time it would change snow to rain on my vacation in NH couple years ago, so I realize how much of a PITA it is to predict weather in North east. You see any lake effect for Roxbury, NY?

Thanks Scotty--I must've been throwing my lucky dart that day. Lake effect snow showers look confined to western resorts today (Brantling/Powder Mills, etc)--not enough to stretch to Roxbury. You have a better shot at some light snow Friday--not much though...dusting to an inch or so?

bdfreetuna

I'm chasing the man-made storms this weekend.

Sucks.. natural snow is so much better even when it's frosty, but if it's not even open it's kind of hard to ski.

The higher the trail maintenance to skier traffic ratio over the last week, the better.

I am thinking Jiminy as they have been constantly resurfacing and can blow snow constantly on their relatively smaller terrain, are 90% open, groom aggressively and have got as much snow as anyone else (none).

It's hard to get out there with the same early season motivation.. now that it's mid season and just as icy.. and the flu had me down for the last couple weekends so I missed out on the couple days of "spring skiing". Gotta ski regardless and get back in the game.

Just need to remind myself a day skiing on skied off ice rinks is better than a day not on skis.

abc

I too, am undecided about where to go in situation like this.

In weather like the past few weeks, a resort "constantly resurfacing and can blow snow constantly on their relatively smaller terrain, are 90% open, groom aggressively and have got as much snow as anyone else" will have the best snow.

On the other hand, pretty much the only resorts that can afford to do such aggressive snow making and grooming are those crowd magnet with high skiers counts.

In my neck of woods, the mountain that has the best snow making and grooming is Hunter, no question about it. It's also the most crowded of all the Catskill mountains. :(

Bene288

I was thinking Belleayre.. Undecided like the rest of you.

BD - a friend of mine went to Jiminy yesterday and said the snow quality was really good. No one blows snow in the Berks like they do.

WJenness

Same. I'm beginning to get punchy.

Puck it

This is at this time is worse for us Cannon skiers then last year. The glades on the upper mountain were at least skiable at this time last year. WTF!!!!!

skiking4

I too, am undecided about where to go in situation like this.

In weather like the past few weeks, a resort "constantly resurfacing and can blow snow constantly on their relatively smaller terrain, are 90% open, groom aggressively and have got as much snow as anyone else" will have the best snow.

On the other hand, pretty much the only resorts that can afford to do such aggressive snow making and grooming are those crowd magnet with high skiers counts.

In my neck of woods, the mountain that has the best snow making and grooming is Hunter, no question about it. It's also the most crowded of all the Catskill mountains. :(

It's also got a way better lift system and disperses the crowds to many more lifts than Windham does. So I found Windham to have worse crowds, and worse snowmaking, so you will not find me there this weekend.