• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River Whitecap to Barker SuperLift?

deadheadskier

Staff member
People want Tempest replaced and White Cap quad is underutilized.

I would look to consolidate, not replace 1 for 1. How about replacing White Cap and Tempest quads with a HSQ top to bottom up White Heat? The alignment is perfect. The only thing you would need to do is find a way to get beginners off the summit down to where the top of the Tempest chair is now to pick up Over Easy (Green route down). Maybe this could be achieved by hooking something more towards to back or even the front with less grade across the fall line?

After that I would say replace Spruce. I think Locke should be last, it has been reliable and there are only two routes down with snowmaking vs 4 on Spruce. You also can ski 75% of Locke from Barker.

I had the same thought on just replacing the two lifts with 1 ttb hsq. Like you said though there would need to be a better way for low intermediates to exit the whitecap summit.

Newpylong

Good point. Aren't the White Heat Quad towers fairly tall near the summit? Perhaps the new lift could have shorter towers like the Superstar Quad at K and a wind fence up there?

Here is another option though it would butcher the flow of traffic on Tempest and Obsession. Perhaps net the crossover off unless the summit quad is on long term hold?

Capture.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be honest, you could just leave the Tempest in and avoid the cross over. Run the Tempest during wind holds and peak holiday periods only. It's not that old and it would cost a fair bit of money to take out. That doesn't make much sense if they don't have a buyer for the lift or a use for it elsewhere on the mountain.

The Heat Quad could be used to replace Spruce. I know a lot of people want a high speed lift on Spruce, but it's not super necessary. Maybe run a conveyor loading set up to increase the line speed and make for a shorter ride.

Smellytele

To be honest, you could just leave the Tempest in and avoid the cross over. Run the Tempest during wind holds and peak holiday periods only. It's not that old and it would cost a fair bit of money to take out. That doesn't make much sense if they don't have a buyer for the lift or a use for it elsewhere on the mountain.

The Heat Quad could be used to replace Spruce. I know a lot of people want a high speed lift on Spruce, but it's not super necessary. Maybe run a conveyor loading set up to increase the line speed and make for a shorter ride.

The reason I do not like this is that you would have to ski to the bottom through the beginner section to get back to the lift to do White heat and the other up there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There's always a trade off. It's either taking a transfer type lift to get to "real skiing" or endure a run out.

Unfortunately, most mountains in the East have run out issues and really should have built their base areas higher up the hill.

snoseek

The whitecap lodge would need some fixin also. Yeah, white Cap in general is sorta a mess and needs some refurbishing.

EPB

I like the first layout the best. Personally could do without the gondola from North Peak to Jordan, but Boyne makes way too much $$$ not to fix the Tempest Quad.

canobie#1

The whitecap lodge would need some fixin also. Yeah, white Cap in general is sorta a mess and needs some refurbishing.

I agree, white cap base is a dump.
Here's a good idea, instead of butchering the summit why don't they just add an express to tempest so everybody can enjoy