• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"The Myth of Sugarbush"

SkiDog

Hey stick it to the man if you can ....like others though..I have "better" things to do with my time..

Someone mentioned that it happens to all of us at one point or another that big corps effect us in some way..I agree wholeheartedly, I just had an instance myself with a car insurance co..well, ill write a letter or 2, file a complaint with the Better Biz bureau, but after that I can't really be bothered..

Hey though..good luck with the "fight" and I will look at their marketing material going forward with a closer eye and if they add those disclaimers, i'll know exactly why. Just remember when you do "win" remember the little people ok?

;)

M

Greg

Staff member
Re: hmmmmmmmm

Brettski said:
Alrighty then....Who knows what GFlats is?

Anyone?
German Flats Road. Connects North to South.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com

Greg said:
Brettski said:

Anyone?

Yes, I know...sheesh...I was hoping for someone who hasn't been.

SPEAKING of who hasn't been...who hasn't?

Stowe is quaint, smuggs is VERY localish, KMart's a mess, but the bush...that's just nice....is the blue tooth still around?

The common man was great...hope that's still there...

Played golf at the sugarbush country club once...awesome course....

They still have the Ben and Jerry's festival at the bush?

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com

Brettski said:
Greg said:
Brettski said:

Anyone?

Yes, I know...sheesh...I was hoping for someone who hasn't been.

SPEAKING of who hasn't been...who hasn't?

Stowe is quaint, smuggs is VERY localish, KMart's a mess, but the bush...that's just nice....is the blue tooth still around?

The common man was great...hope that's still there...

Played golf at the sugarbush country club once...awesome course....

They still have the Ben and Jerry's festival at the bush?
Blue tooth was still operating last winter (I think), though kinda running on empty... common man I'm pretty sure is still going... BJ festival has been gone since the unilever deal unfortunately...

Tin Woodsman

I'm pretty sure that Summit Ventures bought the Tooth. Lots of cross promotions last year with the mountain. Common Man is still chugging along.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Strat said:
I remember that... first saw it in the Waitsfield Telecom phonebook, and was rather annoyed and amazed that they would do such a thing... saw it last year on skivermont.com, had it favorited for a while but I think I got rid of it...

Is it a coincidence that the guy who runs the Vermont Ski Areas Assoc(skivermont.com) is the former Vice President of Marketing for Sugarbush. :D

Yes, the Blue Tooth was bought by Sugarbush a couple of years ago.

After Unilever bought BJ's they insisted they would keep the festival at the Bush. After a year or two they moved it to Woodstock, NY, charged $35 for tickets and so few people bought tickets they cancelled it before it started.

Lostone

More on Slidebrook

The first time I heard of the Slidebrook project, I thought it was dumb. A lift to go between mountains? Who would ride it? There weren't that many people that moved from one mountain to another.

If you build it they... Well, they built it and it was much better than I expected. Before the lift, I don't think I switched mountains more than twice in about 10 years. Last year I did that close to 10 times, even tho it was open weekends and holidays.

But as to it having a 4% utilization, that is the nature of the beast. If there are 130 chairs, taking 4 people per chair there have to be 52 people switching mountains every 15 minutes for it to have 10% utilization.

So I can accept them not thinking it cost effective to run it. I do think they should change their advertising and trail maps to reflect that decision.

There was a pattern of fraudulent misrepresentation that started with the parking lot attendants, continued along to the cashier, then it was spread around the mountain by the lift operators, it was posted on the magnetic board at the Mt. Ellen Lodge and it finally finished with customer service in the front office.

All I can say about this is you met a far more organized group than I've ever seen there. :wink:

It has been my experience that if I ask if a lift is running I'd get "I think so" or "It's supposed to be". I've never found anyone at Sugarbush willing to lie. They absolutely sugarcoat, but it makes no sense to say that lift is running, when it isn't. There's a good chance you'll find out!

They do have the unfortunate habit of hiring humans to do those jobs and those pesky humans do make mistakes. :wink: But I ahve found the workers to generally be honest.

Talisman

The Slidebrook Express is a fun ride, but time consuming. I try to plan my days at Sugarbush to stick at either South or North to avoid wasting time on the round trip between mountains. The Slidebrook beats the pants off of the shuttle bus for saving time, but is a very under utilized asset.

N

Northbay

The end result of all of the monumental complaining was that I finally got a refund after getting in contact with the president of the mountain after the hired help got tired of me and he generously offered to allow me to use the voucher I had received. I was not able to use it because I met a friend at Jackson Hole last year after flying to Las Vegas (cheaper car rentals) skiing at Arizona Snow Bowl, Sunrise Park, Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Telluride and Crested Butte. On the way back to Vegas went to Grand Targhee and Park City.