• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/6 - 2/7 Storm Discussion Thread

powderfreak

NWS has issued Winter Storm Warnings for counties generally south of I-89 for 6-12" of snow. Advisories continue for the north for 4-8" of snow.

The two part system has already begun with pretty decent snowfall coming out of the sky here in Burlington this morning. We'll have a 4-5 hour snowfall this morning which will generally end completely by noon. Then we'll just see scattered flurries or snow showers between noon and 7pm. Part two arrives this evening and its snowing again by 10pm across the region. Snow could fall heavily early on in the night before tapering to a steady, light snow after midnight. Model progs then want a light snow to persist through Thursday morning.

QPF has looked decent with over a half an inch at the Canadian border, up to an inch at BTV and an inch and a half to our south. It won't snow the whole time but we've got a good thing going over the next 24 hours. I'll be staying with 4-8" as a forecast for north of I-89 but based on model QPF and situation that has unfolded with mainly snow from the beginning, I do think areas between Killington and I-89 will net the highest snowfall of 8-14". This is a pretty substantial increase this late in the game but think this storm drops at least a foot in the SB/MRG area...that's for you, Greg ;)

Having not seen it snow like it means business in Burlington in some time, this morning its nice to wake up to. Long live winter!

-Scott

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Dangum it Scott, that's a whipper-snapper's dream.

Danny, can you start dropping quarters instead of dimes? We'd probably get more snow.

I smell Ullr sacrifice smoke...

OK, Friday is now blocked on my calendar (Thursday won't work for me... so you'll get the goods...)

highpeaksdrifter

Snowing in the North Country

Some places in the ADKs and Northern Greens could get 12+ over the next couple of days. With cold air working South everybody should get something out of it. It's about time.Here's hoping the cold air stays around for awhile.

reefer

Sweet!

Holy Shit! It looks like it's dumping up there! I wish I could leave right now. Thanks for the updates KingM & Powderfreak! Everyone stayed positive and whola!
Pouring in Framingham, MA. The perfect storm for me anyway. Dump up north, don't have to lift a shovel!
Sucks I can't get out of work the next couple days. Have to get out there early Saturday somewhere!
Maybe Southern Vermont will luck out in the next round tonight!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
this picture on i89 vt...

makes my whole day... (while it strikes terror in the minds of the 293 million other Americans...)

02A0625A_0453E360_cam1.jpg

SKIQUATTRO

sweet!!! if there is a positive forecast for Sunday/Monday up at K, we'll be staying over Sunday night! Kids will be in CT with the grandparents...alls good!

tjf67

We have 4 inches in LP at 8:45. They called for 4 to 6 by thursday night. They got this one wrong I feel a 20 incher by thursday night. Going out this afternoon with the fatties and be there in the morning if this keeps up.

Greg

Staff member
I do think areas between Killington and I-89 will net the highest snowfall of 8-14". This is a pretty substantial increase this late in the game but think this storm drops at least a foot in the SB/MRG area...that's for you, Greg ;)

He he he... :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
my favorite words...

Norm's Weather, Waitsfield, Vermont (PWS)
Updated: 27 sec ago
snow.gif
28.0 °F / -2.2 °C
Heavy Snow

MRG is as happy as we are!

Updated on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 at 08:45:00
6" on the ground already this morning, and more expected today on top of the 4-6"yesterday and we had us a nice little POWDER DAY TODAY! The new moist snow coupled with a gradual cool down from yesterday's warm temps will have Gen. Stark Mtn. skiing very, very nicely today. After days of scary weather forecasts we have dodged the bullet and now we hear another 4-8" or maybe more is on tap for tomorrow while another storm winds up for a potential weekend hit. . Let's hope they are right this time, because if they are we are in store for the best skiing since December!

Last edited:

nelsapbm

Well....once again Scott is right and the local TV meteorologists were wrong....somehow the forcast turned from 1-3" to 6-12" over night while Scott called for it yesterday. Probably about 4" on the ground at my house a little south of town this AM.
It's currently dumping in Burlington....roads are a mess. Accidents everywhere. You can definately tell who the folks are who don't have proper winter tires on their vehicles.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's dumping in Central Vermont near Sugarbush...we've already gotten 6 inches and the forecast was for 4-6 inches. I guess they were a bit wrong....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
To: ULLR - Subject: URGENT

Ullr, keep this one heading at us!

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0179
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0607 AM CST WED FEB 06 2008

AREAS AFFECTED...EASTERN IA...NORTHERN IL...SOUTHERN WI

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW

VALID 061207Z - 061800Z

A MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL EFFECT EASTERN IOWA...NORTHERN ILLINOIS
/INCLUDING THE CHICAGO METRO AREA/...AND SOUTHERN WISCONSIN THIS
MORNING AND INTO THE AFTERNOON. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER
HOUR WILL OCCUR WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW BANDS.

MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT CONCERNING THE EVOLUTION AND TRACK OF
THIS CLASSIC SET-UP FOR A MAJOR SNOWFALL EVENT IN THE GREAT LAKES
REGION.

midd

any reports from the N. Conway neck of the woods?

how much? Attitash says 6" in the narrative of their report, but 2" in the chart