• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Sh_t List

czimborbryan

What kind of equipment have you had problems with? Let's make a list of things to stay away from.

My first posting will be Danner boots. They come apart at the seems and the GoreTex seems to spring leaks fairly frequently.

thetrailboss

Staff member
North Face Products. Terrible service a few years back....

And surprisingly, Vasque Trail Runners where the rubber toe boxes cracked after only two months of street wear.

Rushski

I'll second North Face. Have a shell with a lousy zipper (seen it on other NF as well) and forgot it doesn't have pit zips - which is a crime.

Guess when the inner city kids got into the baffle style down jackets they put out, it would be downhill from there (not in a good way).

Greg

Staff member
I've had good experience with TNF. I do have a complaint with my Summit Series shell though. The velcro along the zipper flap too often causes the pit vents to close even when unzipped, or they make unzipping the pockets difficult at times. Otherwise, I've been happy with it; kept me warm and dry for two seasons so far. The zip in fleece works perfectly aside from some bunching at the wrist.

JimG.

Staff member
I've had nothing but good experiences with TNF as well...some of the best ski garments I own.

SkiDog

I too have only had good experience with TNF, im still skiing a pair of pants (hyvent) for about 7 seasons now. I also have had nothing but good luck with stuff like MTN Hardware, Marmot, Lowe alpine, as well as many many others...im a gear head for sure....

M

dmc

TNF sells a lot of crap now...
You gotta not by the stuff meant to sell to kids in the city...

I don't like these negative threads... Way too subjective...

czimborbryan

My knees have been causing me problems lately, does that count?

I'm not sure if there's a better brand out there, but my genes seem to be a bit flawed.