• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The skiing stereotype of being well off

kingdom-tele

monks live a rich life too.

your bil and a monk are the same, they chose the lifestyle, not disparaging it FWIW.

the "not so well off" aren't busy trying to swing deals for gear, they are bartering for firewood, food and a job.

a dirtbag skier is still seeking to experience a privilege, just being on the spectrum of a recreational skier makes someone "well off"

Riverskier

monks live a rich life too.

your bil and a monk are the same, they chose the lifestyle, not disparaging it FWIW.

the "not so well off" aren't busy trying to swing deals for gear, they are bartering for firewood, food and a job.

a dirtbag skier is still seeking to experience a privilege, just being on the spectrum of a recreational skier makes someone "well off"

I think your point is a valid one in a philosophical context, and is probably something people should remind themselves of when "worrying" about how to pay for a ski trip or some other trivial exepnse. That said I think the term well off can also be used in a different context, which I think is the point of this thread.

Edd

Good points by both HD333 and kingdom-tele, I think. Like HD, I cringe when I do the math on ski finances but...it's something I'm passionate about and you only live once. I agree with KT that its a privilege to be able to spend so much time and $ on skiing. I feel extremely lucky

kingdom-tele

Is there something wrong with being well off?

Not at all. Well off obviously means a variety of things, recognizing what it means to you matters more.

I think your point is a valid one in a philosophical context, and is probably something people should remind themselves of when "worrying" about how to pay for a ski trip or some other trivial exepnse. That said I think the term well off can also be used in a different context, which I think is the point of this thread.

I get that Riv, just a curious perception we have, wasting energy admiring others who are more "well off" just gets in the way of the above ability, funny how we rarely look in the other direction to be thankful

ScottySkis

At this stage in life I am fa r from well off but find ways to afford skiing, Liftopia deals and supermarket deals like the Price Chopper book is usually how I get discount tickets, and maybe this year winning some tickets from A zone.

Bene288

I've had the same thing said to me; "You ski 25+ days a year? You must be rich!" No, I bust my hump in the warm months to fund my addictions (skiing and hockey, both very expensive sports).

It's worth it. Life is too short to pass on what makes you really happy.

snoseek

I feel like as a regular things have gotten cheaper actually. Multi area pass for less than a grand, massive online sales for equipment and rent next to a big ass ski area under 500 dollars and well and even I, a mere chef, can manage to consistently bang out 100 day seasons. If you're creative there's always a way. Most of you know this. I feel for the occasional skier however, day tickets are crazy these days, and then there's that gas thing...

HowieT2

I feel like as a regular things have gotten cheaper actually. Multi area pass for less than a grand, massive online sales for equipment and rent next to a big ass ski area under 500 dollars and well and even I, a mere chef, can manage to consistently bang out 100 day seasons. If you're creative there's always a way. Most of you know this. I feel for the occasional skier however, day tickets are crazy these days, and then there's that gas thing...

good point. Paying full fare for lift tickets for 5 day vacation costs almost as much as I pay for a season pass for me and a kid and we each get 40+ days in. And renting a place for the winter costs about what it costs for a family to fly out west to ski for a week over the holidays.

mister moose

...wasting energy admiring others who are more "well off" just gets in the way of the above ability, funny how we rarely look in the other direction to be thankful

+1.
+1.

Skiing is like driving. You can drive a $120,000 Benz, or you can drive a $1,000 beater. Both get you to the grocery store. Or in this case, to the ski hill.

Life is about choices. Work hard, or not. Forgive, or not. Love, or not. Enjoy, or not. Ski, or not.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Speaking of stereotypes - from my observation many folks that are not "well off" smoke like chimneys. Talk about expensive lifestyles.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

At this stage in life I am fa r from well off but find ways to afford skiing, Liftopia deals and supermarket deals like the Price Chopper book is usually how I get discount tickets, and maybe this year winning some tickets from A zone.

+1

dmc

Theres seems to always be a way to find a cheap ticket...
You just gotta work at it..

Lot's of my friends are on Ski Patrol or Teach..
I used to park busses for a ticket in the 80's...

Quietman

I need a 2 nd job but am lazy to get One.

For the last couple of years, my 2nd job has been working part time at a ski area so I can ski for free. The problem is that I work so much in Jan & Feb that I don't get to ski much. The 2011-2012 season really sucked as the area closed the 2nd week in March, last year was better and I got lots of skiing into April. I drive a $1,000 car, ski on dump skis, boots are 8 years old.

Most of the skiers that I see would seem to have lots more disposible income than me, but we're all having a great time.

dmc

I supplement my season pass $ by playing music at the Hunter base lodge...
My gig $ covers my pass by the end of the season...

It's awesome... And I don't have to get up early every darn morning.. :)

wa-loaf

You guys are all talking as insiders who know how to hunt deals on tickets and equipment.

Step out of that for a minute and think about what it takes for say a family of 4 who have never skied before to head to the slopes. They tend to pay the walk-up ticket price, rentals, and lessons and they're walking away with sticker shock even at some of the smaller areas.

dmc

You guys are all talking as insiders who know how to hunt deals on tickets and equipment.

Step out of that for a minute and think about what it takes for say a family of 4 who have never skied before to head to the slopes. They tend to pay the walk-up ticket price, rentals, and lessons and they're walking away with sticker shock even at some of the smaller areas.

I think thats why many of my friends with families hunker down at one area to get a Ski Patrol or Teaching job to pay for their families tickets and lessons.. Also can write ski house off on taxes....

Come up to Hunter - work for Ski Patrol or Ski School...