• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

The gates visible in the webcam look pretty close to the lift loading area...

As for interference and multiple RFID cards, etc...only the SB RFID card should "respond" to the RFID scanners. My understanding of RFID is that there's sort of a unique secret key that each system should be setup to use. Cards from other systems (CCs, work badges, etc) shouldn't respond to SB's scanners. If I had 2 SB passes in my pocket, then yes that would absolutely be a scenario where I could see it being confused (and where anti-collision algorithms should come into play and mitigate that factor to a degree if the system is setup to use them). The scanning system does have to walk a fine line with a big enough range to pick up the pass in a range of space on a person's body...but it can't be so large that it picks up passes from people in other lines or people behind you, etc.

We'll see how this works. I'm sure there will be some growing pains. At least most of my personal early experience should be mid-week in December when I burn my remaining vacation days for the year so no one will be around to yell at me holding up the line. :)

cdskier

I checked out the gates at Mt Ellen last week and there is a big space between the gate and the loading area for the chairs.

Bigger than what is visible in this cam for Bravo?
super-bravo-webcam.jpg

djd66

Based on my experiences at Stowe, Jay and many other places, that is not a big enough space. My guess is we will see empty chairs.

agree,... If that is the permanant place - It will be a shit show. The scanning gate should have been placed 50 feet for the loading area (at the end of the coral. That is how it has been set up at every other area I have skied at that has RFID. My only guess is that is not a fixed position and they will move it.

djd66

Looking at the webcam again - it looks to be in a fixed position,...

TheArchitect

My post last night may have come across a bit harsh. Generally speaking I'm in favor of RFID systems as it is certainly better technology than barcode scanning. I'm just disappointed in the technical shortfalls of the solutions currently available in the market for ski areas to use. RFID is not new and at this point the technology should be mature enough to have mitigated the issue of credit cards and cell phones in the same pocket causing issues. At work I often see women that keep their access cards in their purse along with these other type of items having no issues with the readers being able to pick up the badge RFID signal and get through security. I was expecting/hoping the warning about interference for the ski passes was more of a general overly-cautious disclaimer and that people would say in reality they haven't had issues and it could be mostly ignored. Oh well.

What I did was pick up a pair of gloves with a zipper pocket for a heat warmer and use that for the RFID badge. Just hold up your hand to the reader and move through. Now I can keep whatever I want in my chest pocket.

cdskier

I like that idea too if I can find a pair of gloves that fit well and have that feature. New gloves were on my list of things to think about getting this year if I came across ones I like...

teleo

A lot of newer jackets have a pocket on the left sleeve designed for an rfid pass. Mine, my wife's and daughter's all do and none of us used it for anything because it's not real usefull for much else.

Guns are on[emoji16] 18th is looking good.

cdskier

A lot of newer jackets have a pocket on the left sleeve designed for an rfid pass. Mine, my wife's and daughter's all do and none of us used it for anything because it's not real usefull for much else.

From what I remember, mine doesn't have that, but I'll need to check when I get up to VT (and I just bought it last year...so that's not up for replacement anytime soon!)

They should be able to get some good production with the upcoming weather for sure.

JimG.

Staff member

My jacket has that it came with a goggle cloth attached to a leash inside the pocket.

Another great place for the RFID.

slatham

Surprised to see guns on Spring Fling this morning via cam. Are they also makimg snow on Jester/DS/OG? Or did they turn off some of the upper mountain guns?