• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

gostan

As one of the snowmakers at Sugarbush, I take offense to the "sub-par as usual" comment. While we don't have the capacity/firepower as Killington or Okemo, we do get it done as best as we can. For the past few years, we have opened for the season the Saturday before Thanksgiving. And for the past two years, we have opened top-to-bottom. Last year we met our early-season goals: t2b on opening day, two summit routes, beginner terrain for Thanksgiving.

Weather plays a huge factor of course. During the 2009/2010 season, we didn't open until after Thanksgiving due to temps. And I think a year later, we opened, then were forced to close briefly due to a warmup.

After doing some nice fall hiking, I've seen the investment of the new guns up close: they are lining more trails than ever before, replacing some older models. For instance, Snowball, Downspout, Ripcord, and Slowpoke all have new towers. Slowpoke has never had towers before, so this will be substantial. It will reduce set-up time for us so we can make snow quicker and transfer between trails quicker.

Who knows what the season will hold. If it's a good snow year, the snowmaking debate will be put on hold until next fall. If it isn't, the responsibility will come down on us to do what we can and pick up the slack.
Shady, We miss you when we get on HG, but we are really happy to have you on the snowmaking crew. See you soon.

As one of the snowmakers at Sugarbush, I take offense to the "sub-par as usual" comment. While we don't have the capacity/firepower as Killington or Okemo, we do get it done as best as we can. For the past few years, we have opened for the season the Saturday before Thanksgiving. And for the past two years, we have opened top-to-bottom. Last year we met our early-season goals: t2b on opening day, two summit routes, beginner terrain for Thanksgiving.

Weather plays a huge factor of course. During the 2009/2010 season, we didn't open until after Thanksgiving due to temps. And I think a year later, we opened, then were forced to close briefly due to a warmup.

After doing some nice fall hiking, I've seen the investment of the new guns up close: they are lining more trails than ever before, replacing some older models. For instance, Snowball, Downspout, Ripcord, and Slowpoke all have new towers. Slowpoke has never had towers before, so this will be substantial. It will reduce set-up time for us so we can make snow quicker and transfer between trails quicker.

Who knows what the season will hold. If it's a good snow year, the snowmaking debate will be put on hold until next fall. If it isn't, the responsibility will come down on us to do what we can and pick up the slack.

as someone who has enjoyed the fruits of your labor, i'd like to say thanks and keep up the good work

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Thanks ... I appreciate the kind words! When it comes to snowmaking (actually, resort operations in general), you can't make everyone on these forums happy. I'm looking forward to being back on the mtn in the next couple of weeks and hope its a good season/winter.

And to gostan, you'll most likely see me back on HG once snowmaking's done. That lift got some substantial upgrades this summer and should operate better this year.

dlague

Shadyjay here is to the snowmaking crew. This was my wife and I toasting your efforts - probably recognize the background!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1413725868.940036.jpg

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Scruffy

Thanks ... I appreciate the kind words! When it comes to snowmaking (actually, resort operations in general), you can't make everyone on these forums happy. I'm looking forward to being back on the mtn in the next couple of weeks and hope its a good season/winter.

And to gostan, you'll most likely see me back on HG once snowmaking's done. That lift got some substantial upgrades this summer and should operate better this year.

Understatement of the year! Ever notice how cantankerous the posters of any internet forums are? It's a first world problem for sure.

Keep up the good fight on the mountain Shadyjay! We love your work!!

mikec142

No dog in this fight.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Skied SB this past President's Day weekend in glorious conditions. Dumped 30+" of snow over the weekend and the skiing was tremendous.

2. Got the family signed up for some ski lessons that Saturday and Sunday. After a hitch with the Saturday lessons, Russ Kauff (head instructor) made it right with a make up lesson for our kids with great instructors. Russ is a stand up guy. He instantly saw that my wife and kids were unhappy and made it right which went a long way to making it an amazing three days of skiing. A lesser person could have handled it differently which might have resulted in a skiing family of four who wouldn't go back. Instead, he made us big fans of both Sugarbush and the ski school.

3. Minor quibble with the layout of the GHX lift and the NLT + SLBX. When you get off of the GHX you have to hike up to the NLT or SLBX. Not a huge deal, but seems like some better grading or planning could have adverted that issue. Not a huge deal but when your with kids it can affect you.

4. Views from the top of the mountain! Just perfect.

5. We tend to stay with family in Burlington so our major options for skiing are Stowe, SB, Smuggs, and Bolton Valley. Have skied them all although I admit to not having gone to Smuggs in a while. Slow lifts, cold weather, and kids don't mix. Can't wait to get back there this year. When you combine pricing, terrain, and conditions, SB is pretty hard to top.

ThinkSnow

3. Minor quibble with the layout of the GHX lift and the NLT + SLBX. When you get off of the GHX you have to hike up to the NLT or SLBX. Not a huge deal, but seems like some better grading or planning could have adverted that issue. Not a huge deal but when your with kids it can affect you.

Think of it as "conditioning."

thetrailboss

Staff member
Didn't know you moved from lifts to snowmaking, Shadyjay. Keep us updated as to how things are going. On the ground recon is invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

HowieT2

Didn't know you moved from lifts to snowmaking, Shadyjay. Keep us updated as to how things are going. On the ground recon is invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

shady left heavens gate and all hell broke loose.

thetrailboss

Staff member
shady left heavens gate and all hell broke loose.

Yeah no kidding.

Funny story: a few years back when Shady was pretty active here he encouraged folks to say hello to him while he was bumping chairs. So I saw a guy one day named "Jay" who was loading the Gatehouse. I grinned and said, "hello Shady" assuming of course it was our guy. "Nice seeing you on AZ." The guy glared at me (he was missing a few teeth) and replied, "what the hell are you talking about?"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Yeah no kidding.

Funny story: a few years back when Shady was pretty active here he encouraged folks to say hello to him while he was bumping chairs. So I saw a guy one day named "Jay" who was loading the Gatehouse. I grinned and said, "hello Shady" assuming of course it was our guy. "Nice seeing you on AZ." The guy glared at me (he was missing a few teeth) and replied, "what the hell are you talking about?"

Haha! I remember that. When I started at the mtn in Dec 08, there were at least 2 or 3 other coworkers named "Jay", so I started going by my last name.

This will be my 3rd full season making snow here, and usually return to lifts sometime in February. Lifts is fun, but I enjoy the challenges and the adventure of making snow. And especially seeing the trails covered in white first thing in the morning as anxious skiers/riders are making their way to the mtn, it gives you a good feeling and a sense of accomplishment.

canobie#1

I finally visited SB last year and I have to say, it's one of the best mountains in NE. Everything about it was awesome. Much more character to the bush than there is at Stowe.

abc

It's interesting how people view different mountains. Size and terrain aside, condition obviously plays the biggest part.

I have quite favorable impression of both Stowe and SugarBush because, lodging on that part of VT are on the expensive side, so I only go when the mountains are close to 100% open, and preferably some recent snow fall! I would never pay the kind of price to ski the WROD, for example (or refrozen crud for that matter). So as far as I could remember, all my trips to both the Bush and Stowe had excellent snow, great terrain variety and ok, crowds! ;)

The same can't be said of Killington, where I tend to go early and late season for cheap turns. Well, it was CHEAP turns, on ice, on grass, on dirt... or glorious soft bumps! After a while, I forgot I can have powder days in K'mart too because there're so few of them in between the "cheap" days!

I try not to judge a mountain when my experience with it is sporadic.