• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Uhh...there was someone in an orange jacket that has been waiting at the Gatehouse lift for it to open since around 6am it looks like based on what I saw on the webcam. 3 hours to be first on line to ski Gatehouse? I guess that's dedication or something... It was literally still dark out when the guy and his friends got there.

1668866444620.png

Lotso

Given how warm November was until last week, I'd say having anything to ski on at this point is better than nothing. I am sure they are doing what makes sense, snowmaking-wise.

Personally, Jester/Deathspout early season is awful. No doubt GH will be a zoo, but likely not the bowling alley that the usual upper mt. options are in the early season.

SB/SF will be next, just hope they make enough snow for once on the last big roll on SB so there are fewer rocks than usual. That area is always a mess....

cdskier

SB/SF will be next, just hope they make enough snow for once on the last big roll on SB so there are fewer rocks than usual. That area is always a mess....

I've always wondered if there's some sort of reason they don't or can't make more snow in that spot. It seems like that spot on upper Snowball has been an issue for as long as I can remember.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Uhh...there was someone in an orange jacket that has been waiting at the Gatehouse lift for it to open since around 6am it looks like based on what I saw on the webcam. 3 hours to be first on line to ski Gatehouse? I guess that's dedication or something... It was literally still dark out when the guy and his friends got there.

View attachment 55099
People were waiting for opening at Alta at 9pm the night before…..

slatham

That snowball spot faces SE and with rocks underneath will melt out way quicker than elsewhere. So it needs an extra thick coating of snow which apparently they don’t do.

Real surprised how many seasons started with downloading on Bravo. But then again most of my thanksgivings skiing the ‘Bush were back in the ME days. The one since then was so good that they were making snow on North Linx thanksgiving weekend!

ducky

Parker's a dedicated 14yo kid. Big time skier and champ mt biker too. He was on the first chair. Bet he was on his Stöcklis.

cdskier

John- Thanks for posting. Question, when you move over to VH for SB->Fling would you consider also running Lower SB-> Racer's Edge or Spring Road to get more terrain open then move up top? Those don't take too much.

Looks like the answer is "yes" as they're currently making snow on Racer's and Lower SB (in addition to still working on SB/Spring Fling)

Los

Had a fun afternoon at the Bush yesterday. Snowmakers did an excellent job! Very nice way to ease into the season, but looking forward to more terrain coming online soon….

Hawk

LOL What happened to the " We need to let the piles dry out before we groom them"
Anyway, good more terrain. Why are they not blowing somewhere else? There are no guns on right now.

cdskier

LOL What happened to the " We need to let the piles dry out before we groom them"
Anyway, good more terrain. Why are they not blowing somewhere else? There are no guns on right now.

I was thinking the same thing to all these points...

The snow report however now shows snowmaking on DS, Jester, and OG. Maybe they're between shifts on the snowmaking crew and the next shift is firing up those trails this evening?

Snowball and Spring Fling (and the VH chair) are all now listed in the report as opening tomorrow as well.

cdskier

Ahh...and now I think I see why they didn't wait to groom. The women's Swiss team is training on SB and Spring Fling tomorrow morning until 10am.

cdskier

Looking at the web cams...looks like the snow-making crew headed up Heaven's Gate about 45 minutes ago or so...

slatham

Why are they training on Spring Fling? Pushover would be a much better option for them.

LOL.

I thought the same thing about grooming out before a proper cure. Swiss team explains it.

I also questioned why no snowmaking, and concluded (hoped) that it was simply that they hadn't switched to summit yet. These next few/several days will be way more conducive to making snow up high.

djd66

Is there my reason why there is no snowmaking going on? Seems like it’s cold enough. Did they just shut off snowmaking on SF so the Swiss team can train and then they will turn it back on for the paying customers tomorrow?