• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lotso

Heard about lift issues at ME...hope they get them worked out before it opens. Snowmaking looks to be almost T2B.

nhskier1969

Expectations for snowmaking trails by Christmas
Ripcord, Domino chute, lower OG, lower Jester.
Would they have enough time for Murphys?

Lotso

Expectations for snowmaking trails by Christmas
Ripcord, Domino chute, lower OG, lower Jester.
Would they have enough time for Murphys?
I would think so.. I'd bet Sleeper and lower SB/RE. Really good forecast and Christmas is 2 weeks off

ME: RR, Elbow, WW, NS, Cruiser, CJ, SShot, LGood, Inverness.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Unicorns and rainbows....

cdskier

Depends where Murphy's falls in the schedule...personally for Christmas I'd prioritize more routes on GH (Sleeper and/or Hot Shot) as well as maybe even try to get North Lynx open to have another lift to spread people out on. Off Super Bravo/Valley House, I'd prioritize Lower Jester, Lower OG, and Lower Snowball/Racers Edge over Murphy's. Depending on timing and weather, it may even make sense to do Birdland first over Murphy's before the holiday so you don't make any snow under the liftline during the holiday. But I don't make the decisions lol.

Kingslug20

It was ok...groomed and a little slick..as opposed to the usual ice mogul field.
Very fogged in at the top though...

djd66

I give any of you credit for making the best of it and skiing on what they have. I skied 3 runs on Saturday and pulled the plug. Maybe after all these years i Actually have a base line of standards. It sucked.

if November and the first 12 days of December are an example of winters in the future, Sugarbush really will need to step it up In terms of significant investment in snowmaking power. They need to have the ability to blow on multiple trails at the same time.

Kingslug20

I skied 9 till 1 yesterday. What else can we do these days. If I watch the reports of feet of snow out west and don't get out there...gets pretty depressing. Looking out my window now...everything covered in snow...
We're getting there...

Hawk

I skied both days for about 4 hours. It was fine. The groomers only had one day on OG so it was not going to be perfect groom. It was manageable with some cookies but worth doing. The fog at the top made the first pitch interesting but fast the rest of the way down. I was the last chair from the top when HG wend down. We were stuck for about 10 minutes before they got us off. The rest of the trails were fine also. Jester was entertaining with a real mix of abilities to dodge along with variable conditions. LOL Blowing on Ripchord I bet it goes on line by Wendnesday. What's after that? Probably lower OG/Jester and Sleeper. Maybe waterfall. Then Muphy's / Birdland.

tumbler

I skied both days for about 4 hours. It was fine. The groomers only had one day on OG so it was not going to be perfect groom. It was manageable with some cookies but worth doing. The fog at the top made the first pitch interesting but fast the rest of the way down. I was the last chair from the top when HG wend down. We were stuck for about 10 minutes before they got us off. The rest of the trails were fine also. Jester was entertaining with a real mix of abilities to dodge along with variable conditions. LOL Blowing on Ripchord I bet it goes on line by Wendnesday. What's after that? Probably lower OG/Jester and Sleeper. Maybe waterfall. Then Muphy's / Birdland.
I guess they have given up on their philosophy of letting snowmaking drain for a couple days then grooming. That will set a nice firm base on OG.

Hawk

In my opinion it doesn't make a difference either way. If they blow really wet snow, it is not going to dryout. It going to freeze. The base is always firm on OG unless it snows a ton early season and they start with natural snow.

Newpylong

It absolutely makes a difference and will dry out the longer you let it sit.

Just take a look at the water that leaches out from the piles when making base quality snow, it's very noticeable on bare ground.

cdskier

I guess they have given up on their philosophy of letting snowmaking drain for a couple days then grooming. That will set a nice firm base on OG.
Yea...I was surprised they groomed out OG so quickly. Still had a ton of chunks/cookies on it today even after another groom last night. I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. Jester was nice. Snowball and Spring Fling were nice as well this morning. They're getting some nice production on Ripcord with the snow-making. Pretty impressive how much there is today compared to yesterday.

To echo djd's earlier comments though, I don't know how some of you have been dealing with just Spring Fling and Gate House up to now. Even with Jester and OG in the mix I can't convince myself to stay out too long.

Just picked up a new helmet at Alpine Options today. My current one I'm sure is quite packed out and not overly effective anymore. I was going to drop my skis off for tuning too, but current turnaround time was Sunday so I'll have to wait a bit until they get caught up a little.

Kingslug20

Tried to get my skis tuned...I do it myself but wanted to see how long it would take at REI
1 week...I'll stick with diy....

jimmywilson69

I was in your REI this weekend! Much bigger than the REI local to me. My buddy works at our local REI and knew some of the people in action sports from a training he went to a few weeks ago.