• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weather is hurting the majority of the ski business

BenedictGomez

A friend of mine (non-skier) wanted to take his family tubing at McIntyre yesterday and said the parking lot was packed and people were parking down the streets. Goes to show how the warmer temps helped there.

Ditto for Plattekill.

Yesterday the lots were filled and people parked on the road, busier than President's Saturday.

4aprice

Lows of -15 & windy tonight have me rethinking my plans for this week. Think I'll skip tomorrow & start skiing Wed. instead. Bitter cold returns Thurs./Fri. & I'll just have to deal with it.

Funny thing is I think I'm actually semi starting to get used to the cold. Yesterday felt really warm (in the high 20's). Just think what it will feel like when it breaks into the 40's.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ceo

I actually bagged a 3-day vacation at Smuggs after the first day because it was so brutally cold and windy I wasn't having any fun, and my son refused to go out again after his lesson. (Didn't help that my younger son got sick.) I grew up skiing at Cannon, so it's not like I'm not used to cold or don't have the proper gear for it.

Was pretty sad about it because that day (Friday) was the first skiing I'd managed all year, between the blizzards and everything else. Did get to Cannon yesterday, which was really nice.

VTKilarney

I've said it before and I'll say it again - no matter how much you spend on gear, skiing with younger children on super cold days is a REAL challenge. I don't blame people for feeling like it's not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

dlague

I actually bagged a 3-day vacation at Smuggs after the first day because it was so brutally cold and windy I wasn't having any fun, and my son refused to go out again after his lesson. (Didn't help that my younger son got sick.) I grew up skiing at Cannon, so it's not like I'm not used to cold or don't have the proper gear for it.

Was pretty sad about it because that day (Friday) was the first skiing I'd managed all year, between the blizzards and everything else. Did get to Cannon yesterday, which was really nice.

Yes it was very nice at Cannon! Too bad about Smuggs! Lucky for me our 12 year old hangs with us on the cold days!

bdfreetuna

It looks like the 24/25 solar minimum just started, which could turn out to be Dalton-like or otherwise protracted.

Might be a good time to invest in long underwear.

AdironRider

I like how Tuna thinks you aren't a man or a skier unless you ski in -20.

soulseller

During the vacation week we skied Loon, Cannon(x3), and Bretton Woods. We went bell-to-bell every day. We never waited in a lift line longer than 2-3 chairs. For lunch each day we found a table for 5 at noon-ish with zero wait. I cannot believe how dead it was everywhere. The resorts must be tearing their hair out.

Even Loon?
I haven't been there in years because I can't handle the crowds.

HD333

I think the news did a good job scaring people away.
Okemo was DEAD over Feb Vacation. Not just the mountain but bars/restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

I like how Tuna thinks you aren't a man or a skier unless you ski in -20.

Real men scoff in the face of frostbite.

windchill.gif

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I've said it before and I'll say it again - no matter how much you spend on gear, skiing with younger children on super cold days is a REAL challenge. I don't blame people for feeling like it's not worth the hassle.

Hassle or the risk. I'm not sure my eight-year-old really understands when she is in danger of frostbite.

drjeff

I wonder if the next few weeks will be busier than usual if the temps moderate...

What some are hoping, is that due to the unusually deep snow packs down in the I-95 corridor where so many reside, is that the start of outdoor "spring sports" (golfing, kids baseball/softball, soccer, etc) will have to be delayed due to unplayable field conditions and as such that typical large scale "pull" away from skiing and into the spring sports that often starts right after St Patrick's Day will be delayed a few weeks and business levels won't fall off quickly and dramatically as they often do in the 2nd 1/2 of March and beyond....

Time will tell

Whitey

What some are hoping, is that due to the unusually deep snow packs down in the I-95 corridor where so many reside, is that the start of outdoor "spring sports" (golfing, kids baseball/softball, soccer, etc) will have to be delayed due to unplayable field conditions and as such that typical large scale "pull" away from skiing and into the spring sports that often starts right after St Patrick's Day will be delayed a few weeks and business levels won't fall off quickly and dramatically as they often do in the 2nd 1/2 of March and beyond....

Time will tell

We had our first indoor lacrosse practice yesterday. The discussion among the coaches was if the fields would even be open in time for the first games that start at the end of April. I think your "extend the season" logic is valid. I know I'll be skiing later because my weekends won't be taken up with practice or games until much later.

KevinF

The average skier needs to get a clue. The ski season does not consist of a few weekends in January and February.

Hopefully we'll have an epic spring this year and the resorts will make their $ from the die hards who are still skiing until the end. If the half-assers missed out because it was chilly, and then were too clueless to ski even more in the spring, well better luck next year!

Diehards skiing until the end are usually season pass holders... the resort isn't getting any money from them in terms of ticket sales, although they'll still get something in terms of lunch sales. Many are locals who will ski the morning though and just go home when they get hungry.

As far as ski areas are concerned, the "season" is XMAS week, MLK weekend and President's Week.

Do we need to rehash the "why do ski areas close in April while 100% open" question again?

KevinF

Time will tell

I'm guessing that most people are so sick of cold and snow that once it does finally start to warm up that they're not going to feel like driving north to find more cold and more snow.

hammer

Time will tell
The part of me that wants the business to do well hopes that business will keep up later in the season. The part of me that doesn't want crowds in March hopes that people move on the spring activities regardless of how much white is on the ground in the flatlands.

Cannonball

Diehards skiing until the end are usually season pass holders... the resort isn't getting any money from them in terms of ticket sales, although they'll still get something in terms of lunch sales. Many are locals who will ski the morning though and just go home when they get hungry.

As far as ski areas are concerned, the "season" is XMAS week, MLK weekend and President's Week.

Do we need to rehash the "why do ski areas close in April while 100% open" question again?

I agree that most areas make their bank during the mid-winter holiday weeks. But I disagree about where the diehards spend their late season money. As a season pass holder, it isn't until late season that I really start spending money at other places. Long, warm days mean that long drives are more welcome. I start traveling much further, much more often. Also Cannon closes early-ish in the season so in April I have to head other places. Also I end up spending a whole lot more on apres beers on the deck when the spring sun is out. Additionally, the vibe of the spring season can make or break a person's decision to re-up on a season pass.

AdironRider

Dude, you are clearly making their nut by buying a couple beers on a deck in the spring. I'm sure they are counting on that, and not the thousands of tourists from NYC buying beers during holiday weeks.