• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Unnecessary 2008 K2 PE review

Edd

Bought these a couple of months ago based on reviews and the cheap price. Some folks will be aware that they are discontinuing the PE name next year and calling this ski the Extreme with completely new graphics, presumably to appeal to an older crowd. This year's graphics are ridiculous, to be kind. Dimensions are 118/85/109. The length on mine is 174 but the turn radius is 20m at 179. I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs.

The highlights:

groomers: This ski turns remarkably short, if you wish. I actually find long turns the most difficult, for some reason. It holds a nice edge and its speed limit, whatever it is, is faster than I ski.

powder: I took it through 6 inches of cement for a day and the float is decent, so I'd expect dry powder to be a breeze.

scratch/ice: Had some trouble here at Cannon one day. I suspect it was my technique. In this condition the ski won't tolerate backseating; you will not be in control. That said, I feel the ski works ok on scratch with a decent tune.

stability: Before this ski, I didn't know a ski could be stable without being damp but I feel that's the case here. My last two skis were Dynastars which had a dampness I liked and sort of miss. Once I got over that, I really enjoyed how solid they are. Not remotely twitchy.

slush: After several days of spring snow this week I can tell you this ski R-U-L-E-S in the slush! The tips seem to go up sharply so it tends to go over chopped up snow more than through it. If you prefer to bust through, put it on edge. Otherwise, you can straightline it over piles of slush fast with confidence.

It took me awhile to warm up to my last set of skis (Contact 10s) and that was the case here as well. I didn't plan to review these since there's plenty of discussion in other forums but I was so impressed with the slush performance I had to post. If you need an east coast all-arounder ski and you're on a budget, buy them.

wa-loaf

I don't know anything about the PEs, but i had a pair of Extremes back in the day. They were great until I bent them.

Hawkshot99

The PE's are great. I had the 06' and the 07' version and loved them. The main reason I moved on from them this year was the hideous graphics.

The Extreme is almost exactly the same as the PE, just with new colors/name.

twinplanx

It may be easier to get over the graphics this spring after a little more Bondo goes on the top. The soft plastic "cap" does not hold up like skis(straight) of yesteryears.:(