• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What kind of skier/rider are you??? Poll

What kind of skier/rider are you???

I'm catching up on dozens of unread threads on here and it's cool reading about different types of skiing..to some people bumps are where it's at...for others groomers and others the terrain park..Myself..I've never really picked one type of skiing that I prefer most..In a typical ski day I like to ski some woods, bumps, lightening fast early morning cord..and sometimes I like to hit the park for mad steezy air off the small and medium sized booters. What is your favorite type of skiing?? I consider myself an all mountain all conditions skier. I really like challenging snow conditions like solid ice, windslab, and manky snow..it seperates the men from the boys..JEA!!!!!

Last edited:

danny p

same here, all of the above. although if theres fresh pow in the trees, I usually will slay the trees all day.

MrMagic

the same goes for me, def. like fresh snow and when that happens i will be in the trees, but i also like bumps, groomers, steeps, flats, jumps, ill ski it all. i am an all mountain all conditions skier

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Natural snow rider. I just like being outside, on the Mtn, in the snow. I avoid any surface that's hard. I'll rip some breakable crust, but nothing hard pack or bullit proof, in the trees if there is snow pack.

kingdom-tele

powder, of all depths, also love ripening spring corn, also love deep woods traversing when conditions blow looking for new terrain, just don't like skiing with a crowd

MrMagic

Natural snow rider. I just like being outside, on the Mtn, in the snow. I avoid any surface that's hard. I'll rip some breakable crust, but nothing hard pack or bullit proof, in the trees if there is snow pack.

i think you summed it up best wqhen you said i just like being outside!

4aprice

My fav's include: Powder ( double digit Utah days are the best)
Moguls
Trees (glades with bumps are best)
Corn
Cord

Dislikes: Pocono Pavement

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
Honestly, though it's not as "pure", I like hitting the nice groomers. A straight line of untracked corduroy is what I'm most hoping for when I hit the mountain. A few inches of fresh dry powder is very fun as well, but anything deeper than that and I feel like I'm skiing through sludge.

On the other hand - new skis this year might change that opinion. My old skis were a lot too soft and tended to chatter a lot if the snow wasn't smooth. So... I'll get back to you mid-January after a couple good storms!

KevinF

I'm the type of skier that, when I'm on the hill, I'm happy I'm there. Doesn't much matter where. When I'm not on the slopes, I'm wishing that I was. Pretty simple. Bad day of skiing is always better then a great day of anything else.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm the type of skier that, when I'm on the hill, I'm happy I'm there. Doesn't much matter where. When I'm not on the slopes, I'm wishing that I was. Pretty simple. Bad day of skiing is always better then a great day of anything else.

same

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Word. Any hard surface I avoid and natural snow is where it is at for me. Occasionally ripping a groomer is fun but generally that is what I do while waiting for good natural snow to fall. Powder and trees and corn are the best though just give me non-hard natural snow and I am happy.

Greg

Staff member
I like terrain that is interesting. Most have me pegged as a bump maniac and that's it, which is really pretty inaccurate. I spend about half my ski days south of the MA-VT/NH border. When there is little natural down here (which is most of the time), bumps are where it's at as far as the fun and challenge factor. I look at bumps as practice to build a solid skillset to truly enjoy technical terrain further north. When in NNE I'll spend more time out of the zippers - natural snow trails, trees, etc. I don't go way out of my way to score untracked, but if I find some, that's cool. Groomers are simply for getting to or from the interesting terrain. Carving and achieving ludicrous speed is way overrated for me.

skiboarder

I love riding in powder, trails or glades. When the snow is hard, than the skis come out. Corn snow, slushy bumps is great for riding. I have been skiing in the bumps for about two seasons, so I prefer low angle bumps. Moved to Central Westchester, under two hours to Sundown bumps; I am psyched to do laps on the bumps to improve my skills.

JumboJim

Being a ski noob, and an older one at that, I do powder and groomed for now. You can count on 2 hands how many times I've been on a mountain and still have a few fingers left. Was getting better at bumps as long as I wasn't at my top speed. Got a little comfortable with blue trails at the end of last season. Hope to pick up where I left off.

Greg

Staff member
Being a ski noob, and an older one at that, I do powder and groomed for now. You can count on 2 hands how many times I've been on a mountain and still have a few fingers left. Was getting better at bumps as long as I wasn't at my top speed. Got a little comfortable with blue trails at the end of last season. Hope to pick up where I left off.

Nice! Keep pluggin away at it!

JD

Website
hotmail.com

Hell yea....lean forward...look far ahead! Keep having fun.