• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What kind of skier/rider are you??? Poll

JumboJim

I plan on it! I was so into it after the first time out, I bought my own gear before the second time.

Greg

Staff member
I plan on it! I was so into it after the first time out, I bought my own gear before the second time.

Awesome! I rented twice and then bought my own gear.

wa-loaf

I dig it all and can generally adapt to whatever the conditions are. Except the park. I don't go there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I dig it all and can generally adapt to whatever the conditions are. Except the park. I don't go there.

I'm pretty much out on the park myself. I'd like to get back in the air a little more this season, but after trying my first rail last year and nearly cracking a rib doing so......not so much pursuing that skill.....though I think it's cool to watch those good at it.

skibum9995

I like my snow firm, not bulletproof, but hard enough that it doesn't get pushed around much. I like skiing fast, laying down railroad tracks. I avoid bumps like the plague, and don't venture into the woods too often but enjoy them if the conditions are right.

Zand

I'm best on groomer or LSGR because that's what I ski the most. Obviously I love good bumps, trees, powder, etc just because they're kinda rare for me seeing as I don't get away from Wachusett too much. I love exploring the woods whereever I am if there's a chance to do it.

kingslug

The only thing I avoid is tight trees, never got used to that. Powder is where its at for me but since we don't get all that much of it I look for the bumps. Ripping around on the groomed is fun and a good way to rest between bump runs as well.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Put me down for "interesting" terrain . . .

Nothing is more boring to me than straight groomers on hardpack. Give me bumps, powder, trees, crud, corn . . . even ice. I'm not opposed to laying down rails on groomers when necessary, it's just the most boring form of skiing to me. Given the late season choice of a groomed trail to the base, or a ratty/beaten up glade, I'll take the glade every time because it offers variety.

Glenn

I used to race, so cranking out some nice GS/Super G turns on an empty trail at full tilt is always very enjoyable. I'm going to get back into the terrain park more this year and I'm looking forward to that. I'd also like to explore the trees some more as well. I plan on hitting up the moguls too. That's one thing I was never into, but I'm willing to give it a second a chance.

The one thing I've always loved about skiing is the speed. I'm not talking stupid out of control stuff...but going a long at a good rate where you can really feel and hear and air hitting your face.

ERJ-145CA

I'm pretty much out on the park myself. I'd like to get back in the air a little more this season, but after trying my first rail last year and nearly cracking a rib doing so......not so much pursuing that skill.....though I think it's cool to watch those good at it.

Last season I was at Shawnee and doing laps in the park, just skiing around the features because the snow was really good in the park. After a couple runs I thought "it looks pretty easy when they hit that big jump, how hard could it be". I learned the hard way that it's much harder than it looks. Hit the jump way too fast and as I was airborne I'm thinking "Oh sh*t" - spectacular wipeout. Got up and skiied the rest of the day but for the next week I was limping a little, I really hurt my calfs and shins and a week later I needed 4 Advil to ski because it hurt to put pressure on my calfs and shins with my boots.

That said I'll ski pretty much all conditions- cord, crud, hardpack to powder, raining, snowing, spring conditions, fall WROD, warm temps, single digit temps and pretty much any size area. I just like to ski. I usually avoid moguls though because I haven't got the hang of them yet.

migs 01

Hmm...I like the terrain steep, the snow hard as a rock and my edges sharp enough to shave with. long turns, short turns,,,it doesn't matter. High speed and high edge angles is where it's at. Feeling the g's pulling against me is exhilarating.

curlyfuzzie

Between the Catskill and Adirondack Parks
I like to ski down hill and avoid falling down or hitting obstacles such as trees. I also enjoy long walks on beach and hiking in the mountains.

fing02.gif

Also, see noted below...