• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What kind of skier/rider are you??? Poll

Sky

Funny stuff..."Groomer boomer...what's your point?" Good one! Andy...."walks on the beach".

Ahhhh....good times.

For all the folks who said "being outside", great point.

Add "with ski pals"...better yet.

As for skiing preference...I'm a groomer boomer too. I really enjoy the feeling I get carving smooth arcs and going fast.

I'd try the woods if they were actually "glades" vs "forest".

As for bumps...I have never been accused of being "swift-footed". Changing angulation quickly, even if I were normal height, will never be in my tool bag.

Greg mentioned Loon a few years back as having a beginner bump run...something that would allow a noob to get into the rythym. I read "The All Mountain Skier" and Dan DiPiro's book...I get the concept, but the practice is a different story.

Until I'm accessing a place with a beginer bump run...bumps are off the menu.

Much like the mantra of palying hoops at lunch..."Hey...we all want to be back out here tomorrow." No hard fouls, no parks, no bumps.

dmc

I can't remember ever feeling bored skiing.

I have.... Plenty of times... I've left places out of boredom.. Not a problem... I'm not a "purist" like most on the board... i do get bored... Even while skiing/riding...

Just cause i got skis or a board under my feet doesn't mean anything... I need to be on interesting terrain.. thats probably why i like Hunter so much... It's not the usual ridge run to flats thats so prevalent around here.

Euler

I used to be a groomer guy, but since my kids have started skiing, I've had no choice but to follow them into the trees, moguls, crud etc. Kids go skiing to play, and I've come to think like them...the point of skiing for me is to have fun, so ski whatever looks the most fun to ski at that moment. Freshly groomed corduroy is fun for the speed, powder is fun for the freshness, softness, and entirely different feel...trees are fun, well if I have to explain you won't understand 'cause you've never skiied in the trees, bumps are fun because they create a rhythm, a controlled chaos that just feels great when it happens right.

If you ever have a chance, spend a day or two skiing with some intermediate level young kids...it'll show you skiing the way it ought to be!

Trekchick

I'm catching up on dozens of unread threads on here and it's cool reading about different types of skiing..to some people bumps are where it's at...for others groomers and others the terrain park..Myself..I've never really picked one type of skiing that I prefer most..In a typical ski day I like to ski some woods, bumps, lightening fast early morning cord..and sometimes I like to hit the park for mad steezy air off the small and medium sized booters. What is your favorite type of skiing?? I consider myself an all mountain all conditions skier. I really like challenging snow conditions like solid ice, windslab, and manky snow..it seperates the men from the boys..JEA!!!!!

GSS, Good topic!

I consider myself an all mountain all conditions skier. I'll go out in most any kind of weather, and I'll ski with just about anyone who'll go, but I rarely ski alone. When I happen to ski alone, THAT is when I get bored, because I don't push myself.

My deepest desire is to get my mind over the humps that are in my way and really take charge of the things that are holding me back from nailing the heli, among other air issues.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I used to be a groomer guy, but since my kids have started skiing, I've had no choice but to follow them into the trees, moguls, crud etc. Kids go skiing to play, and I've come to think like them...the point of skiing for me is to have fun, so ski whatever looks the most fun to ski at that moment. Freshly groomed corduroy is fun for the speed, powder is fun for the freshness, softness, and entirely different feel...trees are fun, well if I have to explain you won't understand 'cause you've never skiied in the trees, bumps are fun because they create a rhythm, a controlled chaos that just feels great when it happens right.

If you ever have a chance, spend a day or two skiing with some intermediate level young kids...it'll show you skiing the way it ought to be!

i have a pack of kids that follow me around at my home resort. its really fun to watch them go down the hill. they got a lot better last season. i think they are going up to stratton this year. so i may join them for a few days so i can take them around on a bigger mt.

I'm a glass half full/opportunist. Its always good to be out there, even when conditions aren't ideal. I prefer interesting and challenging terrain but when thats not avail I try to find ways to make what is avail interesting. Groomers are by no means my favorite type of skiing, but I think they're usefull to really dial in your skiing...a few days of big gs turns on the groomers helps get all the bugs out and get me ready for all the more fun and interesting terrain that'll be coming soon. If I start to get bored making big turns I'll jump in behind some of my short turn buddies and play conga line...good training for the trees. I prefer the WROD for the first day...jump right in with both feet, none of this wading into the shallow end crap!

Greg

Staff member
I'm a glass half full/opportunist. Its always good to be out there, even when conditions aren't ideal. I prefer interesting and challenging terrain but when thats not avail I try to find ways to make what is avail interesting. Groomers are by no means my favorite type of skiing, but I think they're usefull to really dial in your skiing...a few days of big gs turns on the groomers helps get all the bugs out and get me ready for all the more fun and interesting terrain that'll be coming soon. If I start to get bored making big turns I'll jump in behind some of my short turn buddies and play conga line...good training for the trees. I prefer the WROD for the first day...jump right in with both feet, none of this wading into the shallow end crap!

+1

With ya on most of this, except for the big GS turns part. I can usually have fun on a groomer when that's all there is; look for deeper snow along the edges and rip short turns along the treeline.

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
In no particular order
Trees
Trees
and
Trees
Seriously, a good day for me is sewing up the holes in my jacket/pants and buying another pair of cheap goggles due to excessive scratching.
There's something awesome about zipping through the woods, picking lines, just being out there!
Need to clean up my drool now.