• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you into at the moment?

skiahman

I hear ya! But how will you get your daily dose of alternative rock? Summer's long enough without skiing and soon no FNX. Sad days.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just ordered new SSPU and new Metric due out in a few days. Already sampled both albums. Both sound good but neither sounds quite as epic as each bands respective previous album. First half of the new Metric album is ballsy, second half maybe will grow on me. Can't wait to put them both on repeat a few times. I think the last albums I bought, excepting The Joy Formidables EP and debut, where the last SSPU and Metric albums. Something is really wrong with current rock music, IMO. Or... I'm just getting old.

mattm59

Website
community.webshots.com
go see live music

. Both sound good but neither sounds quite as epic as each bands respective previous album. old.

I don't listen to anything I haven't seen live it seems. To me, half of listening to recorded is the memory of a show, or the anticipation of an upcoming show. I have some of what I went to recorded, thanks to archives.net, and that helps make listening more enjoyable. My last Grateful Dead show, Hartford 1983, is a notable exception, and makes me realize why that was indeed my last GD show. Jerry had lost his voice by that time.
Funny with BOC, I just had a hankering to listen to them 2 days ago, found an album on youtube,looked up tour dates while listening, and next thing I knew, second row excitement hit me and my son while listening to them tonight while eating dinner. :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Live music is a fun experience. I don't see it as the end all be all, though. I go more for the experience than the music. Very few rock bands blow me away live musically. I'm a musician. I "get it". I spent more than half my life performing and I know the value of live music not just as an audience member but a performer. But it doesn't add anything to the music for me. For what its worth, I already have a ticket for Metric's upcoming tour and I've seen SSPU live as well. Just saw a show down in Boston for TJF not to long ago. Fun stuff and great experiences. But it is still the same music. Epic music is epic music whether it is recorded or live. Sometimes, the live experience actually takes you out of the music if the performance or theatre/presentation of the performance is intense enough. It is too different things for me.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
You're not getting old, Riv, your posts make me feel old, because I have o idea who any of the bands are that you mentioned!! Lol.

I'm digging the Alabama Shakes lately. And Jack White's solo album is great.

Here, in NY, IMHO, there is only one good radio station, WFUV. Other than that and some news for traffic and weather, I listen to Satellite Radio in the car along with a 32 gig SD card that my car radio has a slot for.

ScottySkis

You're not getting old, Riv, your posts make me feel old, because I have o idea who any of the bands are that you mentioned!! Lol.

I'm digging the Alabama Shakes lately. And Jack White's solo album is great.

Here, in NY, IMHO, there is only one good radio station, WFUV. Other than that and some news for traffic and weather, I listen to Satellite Radio in the car along with a 32 gig SD card that my car radio has a slot for.

Jack black is very good, if you live in or near westchester county check out 1071 fm peak they play stuff.

witch hobble

Hey dmc.......welcome back.......this place is better with you around........I think even some of the people you agitate will admit it.

I've been digging these guys lately.

Warning: this might be twang overload for the untrained or overly "sophisticated" ear. :-D

jaja111

Hey dmc.......welcome back.......this place is better with you around........I think even some of the people you agitate will admit it.

I've been digging these guys lately.

Warning: this might be twang overload for the untrained or overly "sophisticated" ear. :-D

The Sadies are the shiznit. I've seen them live here in Rochester and their shows are truly ass kicking experiences.

Edd

The Lumineers recently put out a very strong debut CD. It's solid throughout, which is rare.

Their song "Ho, Hey" is on that recent Bing commercial with all of the Hawaiian footage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
"Accidentally" caught The Mallett Brothers Band last night at the Stone Church and was absolutely blown away. I say accidentally because one of my favorite bands; Ghosts of Jupiter, was the opening act. The Mallett Brothers are self described as an Alt/Country/Rock band from Portland, ME. Usually when I hear the words "country music" I go running or turn the radio dial, so I wouldn't have gone had Ghosts of Jupiter not been opening. I figured we'd check out Ghosts and a few tunes from this "country band" and if they weren't any good, we'd head home early for the night. Ended up staying until closing and dancing our asses off.

Here's a video of one of their tunes. It's good, but doesn't do it justice compared to the live performance.

Speaking of Ghosts of Jupiter, I'm super excited to see their "show" at the Museum of Science. For the next two months there is a "travel through space and time" show in the Planetarium set to Ghosts of Jupiter album. Think listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon while watching the Wizard of Oz...........only on steroids as it's in the Planetarium.