• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When do you break out the shades?

ceo

I wear prescription sunglasses under my goggles when it's really sunny out. Both those and my regular glasses have fairly small lenses, so I keep the goggles on up to about 40. For bike commuting the goggles (with the clear lens) go on below 25, but I don't bike as fast as I ski.

dlague

I've tried many times to wear them skiing but I tear up also. Goggles are mandatory for me. Always carry shades in the pocket for deck drinking.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

While at Waterville on Friday, I broke out the shades - the sun was bright. However, the air was cold enough that I had to put the goggles back on. My eyes were watering big time!

Last edited:

legalskier

I had them on yesterday. I kept the speed down so my eyes didn't tear up much. There's nothing like blue skies, mild temps, soft snow, and a pair of shades.

jaywbigred

In my opinion, a helmet + sunglasses = gaper. At the least, it is a v. bad look. Sunglasses are straight apres for me.