• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is getting new skis for 07-08 season?

Terry

I picked up a pair of Rossi z9's at the end of the season sale at our local ski shop cheap. I had to ski them at least once so I skied on them at SR on March 31st. It about killed my back, but the skis were a lot of fun. That was 2 days after they told me that the CAT scan showed a herniated disc. My wife was not happy that I skied but I survived it.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I actually got two pair at the end of the season, so I haven't skied on them yet:

A pair of Fischer Vision 73s (152), which I demoed in Steamboat and got for half off at Sport Odyssey in Ludlow, VT. A fun, snappy ski that's not too stiff or too heavy (good for me; I'm pretty small);

A pair of Volkl Queen Attivas (156) for powder days. I'm a little worried about these. I didn't demo them but got them dirt cheap from someone on line. So I'm hoping for the best. Hey, if they don't work out, I'll sell 'em.

Also got a pair of new boots: Nordica Speedmachines. My boots were five years old (Lange Banshees) and really packed down. I managed to ski on my new ones about 5 or 6 times, and I think I made a good choice.

Can't wait for next season!

JimG.

Staff member
Sweet!

I guess I am.

I love the Fischer RX8's I got at the start of 06/07...and even with all the abuse I put them through they held up great...or so I thought.

Upon tuning and waxing them for the summer, I noticed several areas where the top sheet of the ski was pulling off...it is bad enough that there was dirt from my last day at Killington that had worked its' way up under that clear top sheet. I can actually get a fingernail up under the cap and pull on it. So, the damned skis are falling apart.

Not to fear...I called Keith from The Pro at Hunter and he calmed me right down. Seems this has been a bit of an issue for the 06/07 RX6's and RX8's. So, I'll be getting factory replacements to start 07/08.

The only thing better than a new pair of skis is skiing on them all season and getting another pair for free at the end of the season. SWEET!

Goblin84

im looking at a new pair but a bit nervous of buying something without demoing them first. It is just that ski's are so damn cheap right now!

Hawkshot99

Either another pair of Public Enemies for me, or Line's. Cant remember the name of the Line's but they are 90 under foot. (Prophet 90 maybe????)

SkiDog

Think im getting some BRO stiffs in a 192... Pat at PM gear and I have been in email contact and he believes he has some "blems" he can sell me, that would otherwise go as "loaners"...if the deals right...ill be rocking the BROS...

Long live the boutique shops.

Kudos to Pat and the PMGear crew..keep up the good work.

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hoping to attain some new midfats to mount the Fritchi's on, if for nothing else just so Austin won't be so embarrased to tour with me.

SkiDog

got em....sorry for cross post...

06_skis_head_supermojo.jpg

got em in a 193....will be mounting naxos on em..

M

RISkier

I suspect I'll buy a new pair this year. I demoed a pair of Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous last Spring and liked them pretty well. I also rented some K2 (78 mm waist but don't recall the moniker) for a day in Utah when my skis didn't show up. I think I'd like to try something with a waist around 80mm, seems they sacrifice only a little on groomed but are better on most everything else.

bill2ski

Last year I scooped up a leftover pair of twintip Line Darkside 185cm. 110/73/98
19.5 sidecut mached them up with some Look pivot bindings
Great All Mnt. setup to chase my 12 y.o. son in the park/pipe without sacrificing turn initiation.

He is the only one getting new stuff this year,
Solomon Flyer JR Freestyle boots w/ Teneighty fish ski's in 131 cm.
( he'd rather get 9th ward MIP Tosh Peters Pro Ski's if we can find a pair)

I depends on how much damage he does to my wallet, riding motocross/ cart racing this summer.

SkiDog

Last year I scooped up a leftover pair of twintip Line Darkside 185cm. 110/73/98
19.5 sidecut mached them up with some Look pivot bindings
Great All Mnt. setup to chase my 12 y.o. son in the park/pipe without sacrificing turn initiation.

Great All mtn setup for the EAST coast...

Mn I thought I had the right skis for here in Utah when I bought the Sallie GUNS back east....BOY was I wrong....they consider 103 underfoot to be all mtn here.....BIGGER for pow..

Now I don't believe I will EVER need bigger than 103 underfoot, but dont tell anyone here in Oootah.

M

kbroderick

I picked up a pair of Anti Pistes (174cm, 131/98/116) on SAC recently, and they showed up Friday. The 174 doesn't look as big as I was thinking it would, so I'm thinking that I'll actually put tele bindings on them and not get a big ski to mount AT. Of course, that means I'll probably be limiting my fixed-heel skiing to beer league, but I think I can probably live with that.

(It will also depend heavily on whether or not the learning curve is just as quick next season, as I managed to get from shaky-on-the-bunny-hill to able-to-ski-anything-that's-open-in-the-spring on tele skis last year. Definitely still need work on harder snow conditions and tighter trees...but that's not what these skis are built for, anyhow. :) )