• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Working the Mountain...AGAIN: How you ski SPECIFIC runs

Greg

Staff member
Another "working" thread. Describe how you ski a particular trail or combination of trails. For example:

Jiminy Peak. Off the Berkshire Express, ski West Way, tuck by the cliffs to keep your speed, bang a quick left and drop off the stop section at the top of Azalea's Path, duck in and around the saplings on skier's right of Azalea's, exit Azalea's onto West Way and stay on skier's left where there is sometimes a nice hit. (Another option here is to stay skier's right on West Way at the top and find the hit at the Lower Glade/West Way merge). Ski West Way on skier's right to the top of the Foxes. Ski the bumps on skier's right of Upper and Lower Fox. Bomb Lower Slingshot back to the six.

Grassi21

We have gone one permutation too far. ;-) Good idea for a thread.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
zoomer/zoomer lift at cannon: hug skiers left on zoomer until zoomer lift opens up on the left. "drop in" to get under the chairs once the fall line starts to fall away towards lift line (due to no snow being blown under the lift, creates a "false" double fall). work the lift right under the ascending chairs ripping up a few bumps, after the first tower, start working to the left to hug the trees, or really show it off until the second tower, then hug left for the last steep drop to the cutback. finish it out on lower zoomer by really ripping one big high speed arc and bring it back to the lift.

hards at cannon: stay skiers right on upper hard and attack the trail edge until you hit the hard turn right before the steep pitch. over shoot the turn and hang a right now onto skiers left and work that edge. upper hard begins to fall away on a double fall line into mid hard. start to fall away on the double fall line into mid hard but don't hug the trees this time, open it up a bit and aim for the corner where it rounds the bend. hug it and hit the small drop, watch out for rocks if thin cover. through the next three turns, work a straight line through the turns covering the insides of the turns to make it "seem" like a straight line through the turns. on the final pitch, hug skiers right for good bumps and in good cover and good snow, rip it down the center or go skiers left if the snow is really nice. bring it back towards the center at the end of the pitch and gather up speed for the up hill portion so you can drop into the upper part of red ball for some more nice natural. only wusses take the cut off, be a man and do it the way its suppose to be done :D

AdironRider

From the summit of Little Whiteface.

Start heading down Excelsior for all of 2 feet. Pop a 180 on the little headwall type run in on the right onto Approach. Rock some nice carves to warm the legs a bit then bang a left onto Upper Mackenzie. Play in some pow on the right side and boost off the 3 drops in succession when its good or hold on for dear life if its icy. At the bottom of Upper Mak take a small "smoke" break then bust out through the high country glades there. Hop on the double and repeat. I know more than one run but I consider a run from the end of a lift ride to the beginning of another.

sledhaulingmedic

Ski it a different way every time. Prevents boredom.

One time I can say this backfire on your humble narrator. Must have been my 3rd or fourth trip to Magic back around 1987. I'm cranking some GS turns on the Flat part of Diamond Head (Now Lucifer) and I say to myself: "Self: you never ski the skiers' right side!", so I crank to the right, hook to the inside of a lone Maple and...watch the work road disappear below me!

A full four (4) full windmills of the arms and full extension of the legs and knees meet chin. Somewhere around Wand I get some semblance of control again. I've since tried not to push my luck with my guardian angel. (She hates when I ski faster than she can fly.)

Lostone

For me, the way I ski a trail depends mostly on conditions. I almost always run the gully on the sikiers' left of Murphy's Glades, but there have been times when you notice that the right side... looks like POWDAH. :daffy:

:idea: You have to ski where the snow is. :spread:

freeheelwilly

From the summit of Little Whiteface.

Start heading down Excelsior for all of 2 feet. Pop a 180 on the little headwall type run in on the right onto Approach. Rock some nice carves to warm the legs a bit then bang a left onto Upper Mackenzie. Play in some pow on the right side and boost off the 3 drops in succession when its good or hold on for dear life if its icy. At the bottom of Upper Mak take a small "smoke" break then bust out through the high country glades there. Hop on the double and repeat. I know more than one run but I consider a run from the end of a lift ride to the beginning of another.

I do that one alot. It's a goody. 'cept I guess I tend to stay left at the top of Upper Mac.

Another one from top of Lil' WF: Essex -skier's right 'til the cross over from Excelsior then skier's left. At bottom, swim upstream 50 feet (your momentum should carry you) to Excelsior and the Connector. Lower Cloud or yellow dot to Lower Sky.