• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Working the Mountain... in a different way

Grassi21

When I first read the title of the "Working the Mountain" thread I though it would be about how to increase enjoyment/time skiing and decrease frustration while on the mountain. While I have enjoyed hearing from JimG, DMC, and others about how/why they got into the game, I have my own newbie motivation.

My idea of working the mountain is avoiding the lift lines, what to pack in my pockets, which weekdays are least crowded etc. So for me and the other newbies out there, what tips do people have for maximizing time on the slopes. I have come across such tips in many threads but I think this could be a good way to consolidate them in one place.

Thanks!

tree_skier

Grassi21 said:
When I first read the title of the "Working the Mountain" thread I though it would be about how to increase enjoyment/time skiing and decrease frustration while on the mountain. While I have enjoyed hearing from JimG, DMC, and others about how/why they got into the game, I have my own newbie motivation.

My idea of working the mountain is avoiding the lift lines, what to pack in my pockets, which weekdays are least crowded etc. So for me and the other newbies out there, what tips do people have for maximizing time on the slopes. I have come across such tips in many threads but I think this could be a good way to consolidate them in one place.

Thanks!

Why not just got to Okemo or stratton as they never have lift lines and you can ski all of thier great slopes without having to work the mountain

Grassi21

TwinTips21 said:
That's the exact idea I got when I first saw that thread. I thought I was maybe a little slower than the rest of you.

That makes 2 of us :wink:

JimG.

Staff member
Grassi21 said:

Thanks!

Funny because your topic is what I thought the original thread was about too. Here are my contributions to your interpretation:

1) First chair...be on it! The best skiing of the day is usually between 8:30 and 10am. It never ceases to amaze me when folks show up at the slopes at noon and cry "Oh it's so crowded" or "Look, the trails are all scraped off" or "Gee, there's no rental equipment left". No kidding.

2) Ski the lower part of the mountain early, then go somewhere else. When most folks show up at 9:30-10am, you've already gotten 4-5 runs in and you're ready to explore upper lifts or the other side of the mountain. When they're just warming up, you're already in rip mode. So go rip.

3) Eat a decent breakfast so you DON'T have to eat lunch until 1:30 or so. Everyone else shows up late and usually didn't eat a good breakfast, so like the creatures of habit they are, it's into lunch at noon. Don't be part of the herd. If you get a little tired, have a snack in your pocket and take a 15 minute rest/energy break.

4) Ski until the lifts close; make them tell you to go home. Most folks are toast by 2:30-3pm. The 2:30-4pm window is my second favorite time of the day. So what if the trails are a little scraped? I'll bet you there's plenty of snow if you look for it.

5) Always work on becoming a better skier. Nobody is perfect, we all need to work on something. Pick a focus (making more turns, skiing bumps, getting comfy in the woods, etc.) and work it. Make it one thing and stick to it. Once you're good enough to go off piste, the issue of crowds is rendered moot.

6) WATER! Bring a supply, drink often. Hydrate!!!

I don't have favorite days of the week nor do I ski only weekdays or weekends...any day is an excellent day to go skiing regardless.

My outline for working the mountain.

Grassi21

JimG. said:
6) WATER! Bring a supply, drink often. Hydrate!!!

Great stuff so far. Thanks JimG. I have been using my Camelbak this summer for hikes. I have seen people use them while skiing. For those of you have, any likes or dislikes on using one during the winter?

JimG.

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
Great stuff so far. Thanks JimG. I have been using my Camelbak this summer for hikes. I have seen people use them while skiing. For those of you have, any likes or dislikes on using one during the winter?

I used to use the Camelbak Snobowl, but the suck tube kept freezing up on really cold days.

So I bought a small (900 cu in) BCA backpack with an integrated hydration system. The suck tube is in one of the shoulder straps and as such it never freezes up. The pack is so small and low profile I can wear it under my jacket and I hardly know it's there.

The bonus is that this pack has a superior diagonal ski carry system and just enough room to bring key equipment (crampons, ice ax, extra layer, food) that makes it the best climbing pack for BC adventures that I've ever owned.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Study the trailmap and familiarize yourself with the layout of the trails and lifts. There may be plenty of instances where two lifts will get you to the same area. However, one may be extremely busy and the other not.

highpeaksdrifter

Just a couple of tips to augment JimmyG.’s and others:

First chair is key-but find out when first chair really is before you go to a mountain, for example, Whiteface advertises 8:30 opening and they do open right on the dot, but if you get there around 7:40 you can sign up for First Tracks, you and about 14 other people go up with an instructor and get 2 runs in before anyone else besides ski patrol.

At Gore they also advertise 8:30 opening, but when ski patrol is through with morning sweep they open the lifts. I’ve skied there as early as 8:00 am.

Put a pack with your lunch in it outside a mid station lodge or some other spot where folk drop off then you can just pick up and eat as fast as you want.

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
First chair is key-but find out when first chair really is before you go to a mountain, for example, Whiteface advertises 8:30 opening and they do open right on the dot, but if you get there around 7:40 you can sign up for First Tracks, you and about 14 other people go up with an instructor and get 2 runs in before anyone else besides ski patrol.

Excellent point HPD, one I should have thought of myself. The Frst Tracks program you mention is a great idea.

Early morning runs starting at 7:30 were one of the best perks a ski instructor got when Plattner ran ski school. Of course, as soon as he was booted Hunter took that away, another reason it was easier for me to give up coaching to teach my kids.

roark

tree_skier said:
Why not just got to Okemo or stratton as they never have lift lines and you can ski all of thier great slopes without having to work the mountain
ROFL

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
One hint for Okemo. Instead of taking the South Ridge Quad A or B lifts to get to the other lifts, try using the F-10 Magic carpet to the Sachem Quad. This will save you about 15 min :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
regarding the lunch thing, i find taking a snack break at about 11 or so is effective. most people at that point have only been skiing an hour or two and are holding out for the noon time rush (the fools that they are!). hitting first chair and then doing a quick snack at 11 and then a quick snack at 2ish is better than a big lunch at noon. always target the off times to be at the lodge. noon-1 is prime time skiing time.

hit up areas closest to the lodge early morning or late day, take the busiest lifts first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon. try to only hit the trails closest to the lodge as little as possible and focus your skiing and lift riding at pods away from the busy high traffic areas.

if your goal is to ski all the trails on the mountain, study the map and do it the smart way. avoid routes that put you onto the main drainages and run outs. most people ski certain trails almost every single run because they are not creative with their trail decisions. always analyze where the mountain is trying to move you by natural trail design and find a way to fight it to avoid the crowds.

that does it for general tips. every mountain is unique and we really could have a decision on how best to work each individual mountain. every mountain has its quirks such as what areas get the sun first (do these areas first thing in the morning!) and which keep the best snow latest. which lodges are busiest at what time of the day, which lodge to base out of for the least crowds, which chairs to cycle when, what are the under utilized trail combos, etc.

bvibert

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
I have a small EMS brand hydration pack that has the suck tube going through the shoulder strap so it doesn't freeze like Jim's. I also wear mine under my jacket and hardly know it's there, except when riding certain chairs with high backs. That leads me to my only bit of adivce, be careful about leaning back on chairs. I did one too many times and sprung a leak in my Nalgene brand bladder. Luckily it wasn't too cold that day and I was wearing all synthetic tech clothing, but regardless it's no fun to have a soaking wet back in the winter.

Greg

Staff member
I've used a standard hiking-style hydration pack, mostly in the spring when skiing bumps. On the days below freezing, I've been able to blow the water/gatorade from the tube back into the bladder and have not had any freeze issues. I rarely use a hydration pack in the really cold months.

Re: Lunch. I sometimes also eat early (by 11 am) to beat the lunch crowd.

kingslug

When and if possible I try to stay on the harder trails. Less people to deal with. But I'm not a great bump skier so sometimes it's best not to. At Hunter I like to hit the west side as much as possible. Conditions vary so sometimes a few runs is all I will chance. Skiing on mondays is the best for us as there is no one around. When I'm at other mountains I try to stay off the beaten path and look for out of the way areas. A little exploring is always fun. Water and power bars always on hand. Late lunch or none at all when conditions are good. Always get there early and leave as late as possible.

Lostone

For those of you have, any likes or dislikes on using one during the winter?

MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T LEAK!!! :-o

Taht can make for a nasty day!

I got a low profile pack for the water, alone. I wear it under my jacket and it has only frozen once, which is nature's way of telling you it is really really cold! :-o

And I got mine for skiing and moved it into the hiking gear... although I had to get a larger one for hiking, as it is really bad news when you run out of water on the mountain, on a hot hiking day. :-(