• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many times did you fall this year?

The Sneak

I rarely crash. I have gone years without crashing. So of course on my very first run of the year at Wachusett back in November...I managed to catch an edge on Conifer and I may have suffered a pretty significant knee injury that I have just sort of ignored since.

Because of course that’s how it would go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xlr8r

3 falls this year, more than my usual. All relatively low speed on ungroomed trails and glades. No high speed wipeouts this year.

elks

I took/prevented one good fall this past weekend at Mt. Snow and that was it. I was carving down Ledge pretty fast and caught an edge and went straight for the trees around High Traverse. I saw those trees coming for me, but somehow manage to muscle my way back up on one ski and stop in time. It's been a good twenty years since I've given myself such an adrenaline rush with a near crash. All in all, I didn't crash or eat bark. Good day.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Sugarloaf Summit Sunday first tracks ,second chair ....... Saturday was awesome but things got chopped up pretty well with a fun day of Bump skiing and glades but I was looking forward to some fast cord with a fresh blanket on top . Foggy up top but off the second chair found 2" of fresh on newly groomed trails. Took 6 fast nonstop runs and run # 7 sun was starting to come out. I was really moving on Sluice headwall when a thermal came up and picked up a ton of snow , my visibility went to almost zero . I spotted 3 rollers and fiqured my knees would blow out so I bailed right and did a starfish imitation . Managed to not get hurt and skis stayed on but took a while to come to a stop but scared myself a little.

urungus

Haven’t had any yard sales yet this year (knock on wood). But on about 50% of my days I will have a low speed tip-over in the bumps.

Zermatt

I never count low speed off balance sit downs in the woods or deep powder where there was no real chance of getting hurt.

Only two this year that stand out. Both opening dat at Pico and both over the handlebars somersaults. First was hitting a water bar, second was getting a little air on Summit Glades. I telemark so no binding releases for me.

bdfreetuna

My most epic fall was on Northern Lights.

To be completely honest, that's the reason I quit trying to smoke herb and ski. Can be fun but I already deal with vertigo which is my biggest limitation skiing out west. These days I prefer a strong coffee in the morning to a toke of Northern Lights #4.

gmcunni

i tell my kids if they aren't falling they aren't trying hard enough.

that said, i have not fallen this year. ergo i'm not trying hard enough - which is probably true

i do recall losing my balance a few times but recovered.

jinx, fell today.

jimk

I can go a while between falls skiing mid-Atlantic groomers, but I've been getting out west more the last few years and skiing steeper and deeper things. Probably fell about once every day or two this winter. At my age (mid-sixties) it's a little scary when you feel you are losing all control and go into a moderate to high speed ski tumble, but reassuring when you pop up ok and ready to keep skiing. My worst ski accident this winter was getting hit on the head by the platter after getting off the Summit Poma at Lake Louise last week. Not sure why it didn't retract like normal, but it truly surprised and stunned me. Helmet took a little dent, but I was fine after shaking off the cobwebs.

Coincidentally, I took this photo of the area where I had my noggin knocked a couple days before. Gorgeous area:
DSCN6268.thumb.JPG.7f2d3ae1a5880bbb498ecef654f83b69.JPG